Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
Choosing a frontlit ereader

Hello,

I was browsing the net for frontlit ereaders, but it's not easy. I want to exclude kindle paperwhite, because I oppose Amazon commercial model. I know that there is some reasonable model from nook and kobo; searching around I had found the Energy Ereader pro +, from a first look it seemed very open.

I know that my knowledge is a bit dated, so, what do you suggest? It has to be frontlit, it should be reasonably cheap (say, below 100 EUR - 110 USD), I would like it open. What readers are out there with such a profile?
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The new Kobo Glo HD matches. It's as open as it gets, the frontlight is quite good, and it retails for $129.00 CDN, (approx $99US or 90euro.) It doesn't have a SD slot unlike most Kobos.

If you want to go cheaper, the Kobo Aura is at $99 CDN these days, and has a SD slot. Frontlight is, again, quite good. Some people say the capacitive touch screen layer degrades the text, but many have said it only suffers if you directly compare readers. (In other words, it's fine unless you're comparing it.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to point out that buying a Kindle in no way restricts you to buying books from Amazon. I have a Kindle Voyage, but buy my books from numerous different stores. The good thing about Amazon is that their customer service, should you ever have a problem, is superb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read on a Kindle Voyage and a Paperwhite. I also have a Kobo. I do choose to use the Amazon ecosystem but I don't have to. I get occasional books from other sources and read them on the kindle or the Kobo. Doing so is trivial. It doesn't require much thought at all.

One of my sources is Gutenberg and I have a setup via Bookdrop where I Gutenberg sends my book to Dropbox and I simply copy it into the Bookdrop folder and it's automatically sent by Bookdrop to my Kindle via Amazon's email service. It takes me about 10 seconds to do it. Less if I'm already in Windows Explorer.

I like the Kindles because they're just better devices all around. The Kobo has the advantage of being smaller, which I like, but it's screen isn't as good. It's a decent screen and fine to read on but the Kindles are better.

I should mention that I have a Kobo Glo and a Kobo Aura and not the newer Kobo HD. I don't know how that compares with the Kindles screens.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a Reader that has a larger screen than the normal 6" screen. I'd recommend the Kobo Aura H2O with a 6.8" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I like the Kindles because they're just better devices all around. The Kobo has the advantage of being smaller, which I like, but it's screen isn't as good. It's a decent screen and fine to read on but the Kindles are better.

I should mention that I have a Kobo Glo and a Kobo Aura and not the newer Kobo HD. I don't know how that compares with the Kindles screens.
The Aura H2O has a gorgeous screen (I haven't seen a GloHD yet). Glo/Aura are a generation or two behind the current Kobos & Kindles.

There is no "better device all round". If ecosystem and/or customer service are of primary importance, a Kindle is likely a better choice. If typography/display customisation, larger screen, waterproofing, easy control of collections with Calibre, public library use anywhere but the USA, or tweakability/openness are important, Kobo.

Last edited by meeera; 07-28-2015 at 10:51 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Open Android ereader gives you the most functionality. Can run Cool Reader and other apps on it. Think the energy pro is a repackaged Boyue. Can be found on bangood.com is one source supposed to be cheap. If you are in Europe or Asia you can find quite a few nice open Android devices. There is also Onyx. Boyue is probably the cheapest.

Kobo is okay. Its Linux and is open.
Amazon is closed tight as a ducks ass.

Depends what you want. My personal preference is open Android. Can do more with it. ALOT.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The H2O has a very poor touchscreen, though. Mine was so inaccurate that it was virtually impossible to select a small hyperlink such as a footnote. I sold it as a result.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
OCan be found on bangood.com is one source supposed to be cheap.
bangood.com is a domain sitting there waiting to be sold for $5,000.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #10
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The H2O has a very poor touchscreen, though. Mine was so inaccurate that it was virtually impossible to select a small hyperlink such as a footnote. I sold it as a result.
You might have had a defective one. I have never had issues with hyperlinks and highlighting has always been not perfect, but definitely usable (and much, much improved with the latest firmware). Both of these are features that I use very frequently.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:35 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
You might have had a defective one. I have never had issues with hyperlinks and highlighting has always been not perfect, but definitely usable (and much, much improved with the latest firmware). Both of these are features that I use very frequently.
If I'm reading with a very tiny font, footnote hyperlinks can be hard to select. However I don't read in a tiny font most of the time, and I rarely read a book with footnotes, so it's not an issue to me. It obviously is for a few people, though, in which case they should either choose a different device or manipulate their book accordingly to increase the target size (which has been discussed in the Kobo forum).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:19 AM   #12
OneiroDancer
Enthusiast
OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneiroDancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 3, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
bangood.com is a domain sitting there waiting to be sold for $5,000.
There was a "g" missing from the domain as written by rizla, it is "banggood.com" (I simply googled it and I got corrected). Anyway, the boyue is out of stock. I had a look at it and it's very nice, I'll see if it can be found somewhere else.

The kobo glo HD is nice, but apparently it is difficult to buy it in Italy for less than 129 EUR.

@HarryT, I know I can read anything with a kindle, I just don't like their approach and their custom format and a lot of other things, so I have no intention of buying a kindle (though I gladly shop on amazon for paper books and other items - I would also buy another reader from them, if there was an interesting offer...)
OneiroDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The touch screen for footnotes is very for poor epubs on Kobo. With kepubs, the touch screen and footnotes work very well. There is a simple work around to the foot note problem (IMO).

Last edited by John F; 07-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The touch screen for footnotes is very for poor epubs on Kobo. With kepubs, the touch screen and footnotes work very well. There is a simple work around to the foot note problem (IMO).
What is the workaround? Convert to kepub?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What is the workaround? Convert to kepub?
Yes, convert to kepub. Or buy ebooks from Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote