Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I got my 650 from SonyStyle when Borders had the free lighted cover sale. Sony matched the offer. I'm surprised the light cover is no longer available. It is quite a nice light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #137
MillieBob
MillieBob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST2
PRS650

I just tried to order from SonyStyle.ca but they are all out of stock again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Red is in stock at Sonystyle.ca.
MillieBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #138
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
All 3 are in stock as of 10:30 CST, March 4 at the Sony store. Wow that is rare isn't it?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #139
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Dropped my PRS-700 a week or two ago and was ready to get the 650... cant buy one
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #140
WendyH
Enthusiast
WendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toys

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Sony Style Australia is expecting more stock of the 650 by March 13. My son's friend ordered one the same day as my son last week, but he paid using BPay so his payment took a couple of days to show up. Sony Style sent him an email to say it would ship on March 13. My son paid by credit card and got his the next day, but obviously stocks had run out by the time his friend's BPay transaction showed up. Not sure if all the ones coming in by March 13 are on back order or not.

This is really getting ridiculous, I have showed heaps of people mine and they want to buy one but they can't.
WendyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #141
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Just got an email from Sony - the 650 is back in stock in the UK, but "flying off the shelves". Happy to report that one of them is now flying in my direction!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #142
jswinden
Nameless Being

650 out of stock in US again.

I read an article the other day that claimed eBook readers stats as follows:

Kindle: 48% of market
iPad: 35%*
Nook: 5%
Sony: 4%

*iPad is not a dedicated reading device so it shouldn't have been in the list. However you can extrapolate from the figures that Amazon sells 12 times as many Kindles as Sony sells Sony Readers! If I was the eInk provider I would certainly cater to Amazon rather than Sony and B&N who combined are outsold nearly 6 to 1 by Amazon.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #143
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

*iPad is not a dedicated reading device so it shouldn't have been in the list. However you can extrapolate from the figures that Amazon sells 12 times as many Kindles as Sony sells Sony Readers! If I was the eInk provider I would certainly cater to Amazon rather than Sony and B&N who combined are outsold nearly 6 to 1 by Amazon.
Where? US? Worldwide? When? Last Christmas? Last year? Since the invention of ebook readers?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #144
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

Hmmm. Where did you see the article?

Given that reading eBooks is a principal use case for the iPad, I'd include it. (Especially given all the hoopla over whether the tablet would doom the dedicated reader.)

But the last I knew, PVI was not the only manufacturer of eInk screens. I had that question at the Sony launch I covered in NYC some time back, and eInk's VP of Marketing who was present stated that the technology had been licensed to other foundries, so anticipated supply chain constraints from having only one supplier weren't an issue. Sony's Reader division President concurred, saying that while he worried about many things, supplies of eInk screens wasn't one of them.

The eInk screen is only one component, and what goes into a reader is sourced from many places, any of which might become a bottleneck. Current "Just In Time" manufacturing practices assume you can get things just in time. If you can't...

Meanwhile, it sounds like Sony is selling all the units they can produce.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #145
VanPersie
VanPersie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
650 back in stock on SonyStyle US. Just got mine!!
VanPersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #146
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I have a PRS 900 and have been thinking about getting a 650. After following this discussion maybe I should wait, which is a bummer cuz I was looking forward to it. It would be really cool if Sony did come out with a color screen. I would like that more than wi-fi on a 650.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #147
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Trying to read a color screen display outside though won't be anything like on an e-ink screen. I have the Sony 350 and reading outside, even in direct sunlight, is pure joy. Trying to make out who's calling on my cellphone while I'm outside is near impossible by comparison though.

Hopefully reading on a color screen isn't quite that bad, but it's not going to be anywhere near as good as reading on an e-ink screen.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The article is useless and the numbers bogus. Amazon and Sony (not sure of B&N) do not release numbers. And since Sony is selling readers left and right, I'd say Sony probably is selling more then the nook (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #149
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The article is useless and the numbers bogus. Amazon and Sony (not sure of B&N) do not release numbers. And since Sony is selling readers left and right, I'd say Sony probably is selling more then the nook (IMHO).
I keep reading you guys claim that Sony is selling gillions of Readers. Where is your proof? What are the numbers? Seems to me that Sony has never even tried to sell the readers, at least not the way Amazon and B&N try.

If you guys notice I stated that the article CLAIMED those figures. That is, there was no substantiation. I suspect they did a market survey of reader customers to see who had bought what. Such a survey would possibly be fairly accurate if conducted scientifically.

And BTW, as of 1426 CST the US store shows only the Red 650, no black one, and they are still out of stock as they have been the three times I've checked today.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-07-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #150
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I go into a store here in Berlin, Germany, capitol of our beautiful country and home to app. 4 million people, 5th biggest city in Europe, all I can buy are Sonys, Opus, PB's and iRivers...

Sonys are sold in all major bookstores, all electronic markets and the Sony lifestyle shop.

Never saw a Nook or a Kindle in one of those stores????

And I'll tell you what, but be careful its a secret, this is in all of Europe and former soviet block the case. But please, keep your lips sealed, we don't want anyone notice there is a world beyond the Atlantic Ocean.... maybe it is here, where the one or the other Sony is sold...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote