Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Meghan McCain Uses a Kindle

I'm a journalism student as Arizona State and I covered a press conference with Meghan McCain a couple days ago just before she did a Q&A and book signing at a local indie bookshop here in Tempe called Changing Hands Bookstore. One of the other journalists asked her about e-books, but he had such a thick accent that it was hard to make out the question. But McCain had the following to say about e-books:

Quote:
"I read... I'm, again, from a more modern, digital age, so I have a Kindle and I read on my Kindle and I read iBooks. I love having, like, physical books on my coffee table, but I travel a lot and it's just lighter, you know, carrying it in your suitcase and your handbag. So I use a Kindle."
She mentions iBooks but says nothing about having an iPad, which leads me to think that she's probably just using it on an iPhone.

McCain talks a lot about being a product of her generation not just in reference to her use of social networking sites and e-books but also concerning her views of the Republican party. She's known for her gay rights advocacy, which hasn't made her popular within the Republican party, but she believes (correctly, in my opinion) that it's a generational thing.

I find it interesting that she seems to find ebooks to be a generational thing, as well. That may be generally true, although I don't know how much dedicated ebook readers are generational. Dedicated eink readers can probably be credited with getting older generations interested in ebooks for the first time.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but who is Meghan McCain? An author?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

She looks to be this person referenced here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghan_McCain

If she is, then she is also an author (2 books published), besides the blog thing and the rest…

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, sorry. Guess I should have explained that. She's been getting a lot of press lately here in the states. She's the daughter of John McCain, who ran against Obama in the 2008 election. Meghan recently released a book about her time on the campaign trail.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Matt; I've read the article on Wikipedia and she certainly sounds like an interesting person.

I was amused by your comment about the journalist's accent. A year or two ago I went on a coach tour on which there was a couple from Louisville, Kentucky. Very nice people, but we literally could not understand a word that each other said - I couldn't understand their "southern" accent and they couldn't understand my British accent. Luckily, though, there was someone sitting near us who was from New York, who was able to act as an interpreter .
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I know who she is, but, shrug. I don't care who uses what. All that matters is whether something works for me, and I'd expect anyone with sense to use what works for him or her.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks, Matt; I've read the article on Wikipedia and she certainly sounds like an interesting person.

I was amused by your comment about the journalist's accent. A year or two ago I went on a coach tour on which there was a couple from Louisville, Kentucky. Very nice people, but we literally could not understand a word that each other said - I couldn't understand their "southern" accent and they couldn't understand my British accent. Luckily, though, there was someone sitting near us who was from New York, who was able to act as an interpreter .
Haha. Good 'ol English vs American English. This reporter's first language wasn't English, though. I think he was French (I don't really remember), but regardless, the accent was really thick. I lived in Asia for three years while in the navy, so I got used to their broken English and I can converse with them no problem. But now I'm really bad with European accents, apparently. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I know who she is, but, shrug. I don't care who uses what. All that matters is whether something works for me, and I'd expect anyone with sense to use what works for him or her.
I guess what I found interesting about it was that she made it out to be a generational thing when I think that for the first time, e-books are really starting to transcend generations. I think the Kindle has been especially successful with this. When I got the Kindle 2, I gave the first one to my Dad. My step-mom was sad that it was nearly impossible to get him to share because he loved it so much. So last weekend I gave the Kindle 2 to my step-mom because I now have the Kindle 3. She LOVES it. She couldn't believe all the features it had on it, how easy it is to read, that she could resize text, and even listen to the book if wanted to. So I'm sure McCain would have a far easier time winning over her parents on e-books than, say, gay marriage. Haha.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive the question, but who is Meghan McCain? An author?
If you read her book you wouldn't call her an author. That would be an insult to authors everywhere. I gave up 1/2 way into the book, as it was the most poorly written piece of dreck I've had the misfortune to start. Whoever edited that book should be banned from any future work.

-Marcy

Last edited by Marcy; 09-19-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post

I feel the same way.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Being 17 years old, I never had the chance to grow fond of slices of dead tree bound together by cardboard, so yes, it's generational.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
She is the daughter of John McCain. Don't you people get your heads off of MR once in a while?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
McCain talks a lot about being a product of her generation not just in reference to her use of social networking sites and e-books but also concerning her views of the Republican party. She's known for her gay rights advocacy, which hasn't made her popular within the Republican party, but she believes (correctly, in my opinion) that it's a generational thing.
Well, I disagree. I am ___ (# removed for privacy) (Yeah, not quite her generation but close) and I oppose the gay rights agenda (but no, I don't call homosexuals names.) (I also think that Senator McCain is rather liberal for a Republican.) So, not to debate it or anything, but I don't think it is a generational thing, but rather a personal morals thing.

It is also my impression that (at least on MR) a large portion of those using ebook readers (I almost put "ereaders" JSWolf! ) are older. (Say 50+). But that is just my impression.

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 07-12-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: privacy
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What little I've seen or heard of her impresses me. I'm not a fan of the Republican party or the air-headed types running for office in the Democratic and tea parties. I'm not going to say I like her, because no doubt someone will dig up some ridiculous thing she's said over the years, but she seems to have her head on straight.

As for it being generational...I don't know. That seems to be conventional wisdom, but as a guy who sells the nook I see the market aimed at middle aged people more than younger.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Don't you people get your heads off of MR once in a while?
As far as the verbal diarrhoe of politicians is concerned - only if they are currently in charge in a country i currently am physically present or in any way legally connected to, since they are currently able to screw my situartion/life/whatever up. As far as their SOs, offspring, or any other of the so called VIPs has to say - I don't give a s* about it.

I've signed the mainstream opt out when i was 12

Last edited by Freeshadow; 09-21-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typos as usuall
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote