Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
USA: how could I get someone to send me a Kobo from there?

I am 80% decided I prefer to get a Forma 32GB rather than the Sage, but I can't buy it anywhere in the Pacific by the looks of it. Looks like Kobo never even sold that size here. Only the US Kobo store.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get someone to receive a Forma (bought by me) at their address and forward it to me in Melbourne?

Or I could buy a good secondhand one from someone who could send it to me?

Or is there a store I haven't considered? (BTW Goodereader has it, but at a ridiculous price)

Should I use AirTasker? Something else?

* I have a Libra H20 (the first Libra) which totally changed my reading experience BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT and size.

* But at 6GB user space it is nowhere near big enough for my books

* I want a 32 GB and I thought if Im going to buy another device, I may as well get a slightly bigger screen - it will handle a few more PDFs than it does now

* I don't want the Sage because:
1) after feeling the weight, if I'm HONEST I think it is beyond the weight that I would casually pick up like I do the Libra H20 (I just found a book that was the same weight and I felt it was 'too heavy'). I'm sure some people will think I'm unreasonable, but horses for courses right?
2) Im concerned about the battery life. Sure I can tell myself that its okay to charge it every night, but in reality, one reason I DO pick up the Libra is because its always charged and ready to read

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-02-2021 at 08:26 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Amazon?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It looks like TechInn delivers to Australia. (I can't personally vouch for Them as I've never bought anything from them.)

https://www.techinn.com/en/kobo-form...er/137352566/p

Ah, never mind, this is the 8GB version. I'm sorry.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Have Amazon send it to one of those places similar to MyUS.com.

Then they should be able to ship it to you - I would imagine. (I can't verify this, since I have never used the service listed above.)

You'll pay a hell of a lot more money, however, going this method. But at least you should get it. Remember, Google can be your friend if you wish to search for similar services.

You may wish to think about a cover, because so many people on Mobileread have complained about the power button.

NOTE: In my opinion, if you really (80%) want a Forma, you may wish to wait for a few more months. They're sure to go down in price as Kobo unloads their surplus due to the newer devices they released this year.

As well, you may wish to keep an eye on ebay for used units. There should be an increase in listings; again, due to what I wrote in the immediate paragraph above.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-02-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I see two on Ebay. Search Kobo Forma 32.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 12-02-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Amazon only has 8GB that I can see.
The ones on ebay are nowhere near the $250 they cost on Kobo.
More like $700.

I want one, but I can't justify paying much more than $250.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-02-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
They are both make best offer. See PM

Last edited by Pajamaman; 12-02-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Have Amazon send it to one of those places similar to MyUS.com.

Then they should be able to ship it to you - I would imagine.
Thanks Doc, I didn't even know such services existed!
Very innovative!

Do you know if they have (hidden?) charges beyond the simple shipping cost?

I just worked out that I could get it on-shipped with tracking for $AU 26.

This could really save the day !!!
Old 12-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Very innovative!

Usually there's a small fee. At least it's small in European services of that kind. And that should be listed somewhere on their website.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've used the Irish Postal service accommodation addresses in US & UK. The issues are customs duty and impossible to get warranty honoured, which is supposedly 2 years minimum for anyone in the EU buying from a retailer. However I won't buy online again from Lenovo as they used an Irish based company to do the sale and refused to honour the warranty. I'd have had to taken the Irish company to court, who claimed they were only a payments processor and insisted it was all Lenovo's responsibility (but Lenovo where and why in 2016 was the support / complaint link purely to IBM?).

So now I try to buy from a physical retailer or at worst Germany (same Euros, same EU zone/laws/consumer protection).

Here the VAT/Customs is on Sale price + total shipping (= shipping to accommodation address + their International shipping cost).

So those are the sorts of hidden costs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Here the VAT/Customs is on Sale price + total shipping (= shipping to accommodation address + their International shipping cost).

So those are the sorts of hidden costs.
I think the OP is in Australia, and iirc Australia has quite a low threshold for exemption from their GST, so the OP may well find your list relevant to their situation, making the device not as low-priced as it seems. And without knowing what Australian consumer protection laws are like, the absence of any redress by means of them (because of parallel importing) is likely also something to be factored in, along with the difficulty of returning a defective item.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #12
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Okay, I havent read the last few posts yet, but while I'm motivated: re MyUS.com

In talking to them, the service DID seem affordable:
* you can get a one-off-send plan for free
* I could ship to Australia for $19 USD, tracked (but not signature-on-delivery) in 6-12 days using 'FedEx Intl Connect' (To get signed you would need to use FedEx Economy ot Priority, or DHL Express)

HOWEVER, I then checked them on the excellent site ProductReview.com.au and a quick skim reveals ATROCIOUS reviews.

Of course, there is always bias on review-sites: they tend to attract the very happy and the very unhappy customers.

But I will definitely read that for a heads-up about them (including possible further questions to ask the chat team) and will also consider other vendors.

(Indeed, Im open to suggestions!)

Now I will read y'all other replies!

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-02-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #13
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Re government charges, the maximum GST is 10%, making the price of the item

$USD 275 = $388 AUD

With the supposed shipping fee above total AUD would be expected to be
$AU 414

Compared to Sage delivered, which would be $AU 440

Im not sure about other govt import charges, but I expect its too inexpensive an item for any of that.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Very innovative!

You need to check to see on what kind of fees/taxes your country will charge.

Basically, when I used something similar to the service above (Mailbox.pe a year or so ago), it was $65 to ship, and then Peru added about 19-21% (to include the shipping when they assessed the total value), and the item ended up costing a small fortune. But at least Mailbox (or is it Mailboxes ??) took care of the paperwork that Peru requires.

In Peru, if the total (to include shipping) is less than $200, then there are no taxes. The only problem with this country is that sometimes items - say it with me: SHAZAM! - vanish into thin air.

BELOW:
P.S. I always wondered why these costumes had no zippers. I guess if one is a super hero, such aids are not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shazam!.jpg
Views:	2602
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	190605  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-02-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Lol yep - South America...fascinating but sometimes f--ed !

Maybe I should check those costs - tho finding out stuff from Australian bureaucracy can be just as difficult!

On one reasoning I can't see why they would charge any more than the quite-a-few items I've got from OS from Amazon, ebay and esp Abebooks booksellers...