Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Chellebnz
Reader
Chellebnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Glo HD, iPad Mini 4, Kobo Mini, iPhone SE
Clara Not Syncing after Update

Hi all,

I recently purchased a book from the kobo store, and when I synced my Clara to download the book, the device also downloaded the latest firmware (4.30.18838) which I installed successfully.
However, ever since this firmware update my device won’t sync at all anymore. It just hangs on “starting sync” for hours.
Any advice? I’d really like to avoid having to reset to factory if possible but I’m stumped as to any other ideas.
Has anyone else had issues with not being able to sync following the latest firmware install?
Many thanks in advance… 🙏
Chellebnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, it will depend on what is causing the problem. I have had syncing problems recently because I change the name of some collections using calibre. The issue was that I changed the case of some of the collection names. One went from from "reading" to "Reading". That caused problems because I ended up with two collections instead of one and the syncing didn't handle that properly. If I had done the rename on the device, it would have been OK. Add that I have multiple devices syncing and it got into a loop.

The fix was to manually deleted all the troublesome collections on one device, and then do a sync. That worked with no issues. And I was able to do several syncs. Then I went through each of the devices and did syncs on all of them. After that I was calibre created the desired collections and syncing has been working with no problems.

I found this by looking at the logs the device produce. I have developers mode turned on with the logging for sync and SQL enabled. Then I needed to telnet into the device and use logread to watch the log. I have read these logs a lot over the years and this error did jump out as it was repeated a lot of times.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 AM   #3
Chellebnz
Reader

Hmm, thank you for your response David. Unfortunately I don’t use calibre so I haven’t renamed anything or tweaked anything. I’m really at a loss.
It seems like I may just have to bite the bullet and reset it. Oh I also tried to repair my account but that just hung too.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
Last time i have a sync problem it's caused by a corrupted database.
to fix i download "DB Browser for SQLite" to check .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite

check integrity and compact database

**** make a backup copy of the file before just in case ****
better copy KoboReader.sqlite on pc/mac/linux to fix for faster work

after that sync work again
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
Chellebnz
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
Last time i have a sync problem it's caused by a corrupted database.
to fix i download "DB Browser for SQLite" to check .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite

check integrity and compact database

**** make a backup copy of the file before just in case ****
better copy KoboReader.sqlite on pc/mac/linux to fix for faster work

after that sync work again
Thank you very much, I’ll see if I can try that! 👍
Advert