Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I merged two threads, one from @zebideedoodah, one from @ratt56, into this thread.

There is something strange happening with Windows install/updates, I suspect there has been some subtle change with the Windows Installer.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-16-2021 at 12:33 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:40 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The standard fix for these is to just delete c:\Program Files\Calibre2 (or wherever calibre installed) manually and then run the installer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2021, 12:48 AM   #18
zebideedoodah
zebideedoodah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thank you.
zebideedoodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #19
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post

There are different types of administrator which is being kept secret by microshit; also it looks like the levels of administrator are different as when the win 10 was upgraded from win 7 or 8; which appears to be different when the laptop or tablet had win 10 preinstalled....probably other types of "administrator" also exist.
No. There are no "secret" admin accounts in windows 7, 8, 10 or 11. You either work with a standard user account or with an admin user account. Normally, you always work with a standard user account for security reasons. Only when you need to do admin stuff, do you need to login with the admin user account. And if you install a program with a standard user account, it will ask for the admin user account password.

And if you have problems with admin account privileges, your installation of windows has some problem. But not due to "secret" stuff or whatever.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Was Calibre (and/or its CLI) shut down?

Is there a reason you want to run the 32bit version (an old 32bit CPU is the perfect reason )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #21
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
No. There are no "secret" admin accounts in windows 7, 8, 10 or 11. You either work with a standard user account or with an admin user account. Normally, you always work with a standard user account for security reasons. Only when you need to do admin stuff, do you need to login with the admin user account. And if you install a program with a standard user account, it will ask for the admin user account password.

And if you have problems with admin account privileges, your installation of windows has some problem. But not due to "secret" stuff or whatever.
There is also a "built-in" administrator 'available'. You do things your way & I do it my way. My accounts have 'always' been as an "administrator", unlike in unix/linux where I can do "sudo" or become "root". I even disabled the login & password when starting the computers as I am the only person in my home.

The "built-in" administrator is hidden; found about the "built-in" administrator after some searching. I also found I am unable to even change my win 10 user account from 'administrator' to 'standard'.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You must have 1 (standard) Admin account. Admin still needs UAC permission to make Program level changes.
There is a Super Admin that you can invoke during Boot (same PW, but you need to jump thru hoops to even get there)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #23
alc4ever
alc4ever began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which variant - 32 bit or 64 bit?

Do you install calibre in the 'default' location -- 32 bit in C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 or 64 bit in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 -- I'm assuming C: is the system drive.

BR
Calibre is installed at C:\Program Files\Calibre2
alc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I also found I am unable to even change my win 10 user account from 'administrator' to 'standard'.
Likewise here, but I don't have a separate administrator account like I did previously with windows 7 and prior versions. So I'm guessing, in my case at least, it's because at least one account needs to have administrator privileges. I.e., if I were to make an account, admin, and give it administrator privileges then I could change my account to standard.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc4ever View Post
Calibre is installed at C:\Program Files\Calibre2

Did you try Kovid's suggestion in post#17.

If had the problem, I'd uninstall calibre, ensure the C:\Program Files\Calibre2 directory was gone, and then run a light-touch registry cleaner before reinstalling calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
https://betanews.com/2021/11/20/micr...in-windows-11/ might be of interest
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 11