Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
dorisfox
Edge User

Red face some questions for the EE

1. what is the best color for not showing fingerprints or smudges?
2. any comments on the quality of a geleskin that was custom made? for example from photographs
3. is there a pay as you go android phone
4. will we every be able to access the google market? is the only reason we can not access it because google has not allowed it
5. for people that have brought their edge from a retailer or from the company
which way of buying has produce a constantly working machine so in other words does it seem that the machines brought directly from the company has less of the problems i read about on the board or does the retail stores seem to have a better track record for quality control
6. do plug and play device work on the edge
thank you any help
doris

Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Welcome to the forums, dorisfox, and a Happy New Year

1. I believe white.
2. I have two gelaskins and both are top quality and quite beautiful, although they're stock ones, not from a photograph I uploaded.
3. You should check the cell carrier websites. Certainly has no connection to the eDGe
4. We're hoping Google will change its mind. With so many large tablets coming out, and some from large companies with some clout, we can only hope Google will relent. There are ways for you to install Google Market on your android device, but it doesn't seem "easy" or reliable.
5. All machines come from the same factory, so it doesn't matter where you get the device from. In the unusual situation where yours might have a problem, the retailer may give you a replacement themselves and in all cases enTourage will ensure your eDGe is fixed or replaced with all possible speed.
6. As a rule, no. Keyboards, USB memory sticks and many external USB hard drives work when plugged in. A specific model of USB Ethernet adapter works. USB VGA adapters work if they support a specific standard. Some USB 3G modems supposedly work although this is unsupported. Other than that, it probably won't work since enTourage has to write a driver specifically for the device.

Hope this helps you

Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
dorisfox
Edge User

yes it does thank you
I have another question
I have been reading on the forum that there are websites (like slide me) that has apps
can I just download the apps on my computer (edge) or do I need a emulator like I see in other post
also how long can you record using the camcorder. for example if my class is 1 hr and 20 minutes how much of the class can I record
thank you

Last edited by dorisfox; 01-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
OncTech
Edge User

There are several alternate markets like SlideMe and AndAppStore that are unrestricted. See, the main Android Market is really just an access and download method to files called APKs (that is, they end in the extension *.apk), which are the installation files for Android. You can obtain APK files for free apps elsewhere, and simply download them to the eDGe and then run them to install an app (This is called "sideloading"). SlideMe and many other "alternate" app stores allow you to download the APKs directly from their website to either you computer or the eDGe and then install them. However, most of these websites have there own "market" apps (which are themselves APKs) that allow you to browse for and download apps in a more direct and convenient fashion, as well as buy pay-apps. Note that a great deal of free apps available in the main Android Market are also available via these alternate markets.

The emulator you have heard about (which is run on a PC) is a somewhat convoluted workaround to accessing apps from the main Android Market. The intent is to access the main Market from within the emulator, back up the APK file for the app, then upload the APK to a website storage like DropBox so that you can then download it onto the eDGe. This only works with free apps that are not copy-protected, but in a few cases it is the only way to get them onto the eDGe. However, myself and a handful of other users who have worked out the kinks to this trick often upload the APKs to public hosts like mediafire so that all other eDGe users can get them and share them. There are a few such links scattered around the forum, including the new user Welcome Basket.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisfox View Post
can I just download the apps on my computer (edge) or do I need a emulator like I see in other post
Short answer is you can just download the apps, as OncTech describes in greater detail.

Quote:
also how long can you record using the camcorder. for example if my class is 1 hr and 20 minutes how much of the class can I record
thank you
The camcorder app is limited to a maximum of 30 minutes per recording. Your class would therefore require 3 recordings. The Audio recorder doesn't have such limits.

Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
for example if my class is 1 hr and 20 minutes how much of the class can I record
Considering the camera is located above the LCD screen, I'd imagine recording a class on video would be a tad awkward. The professor would be seeing themselves the whole time and have a 10" screen pointed right at them.