Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You never had a Libra 1 as Kobo never released such.
Give it a rest.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:24 PM   #107
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You never had a Libra 1 as Kobo never released such.
You've posted about your H2O many times. You've never had a H2O, because Kobo never released such.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:05 AM   #108
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The Kindle is muddy. The image is not as detailed. It's not good. The Kobo''s image looks a lot more detailed.
In my opinion the black is darker with more contrast on the Voyage, which is ideal for what eReaders mostly display... fonts. Pretty impressive for a reader that was released (I think) seven years ago when compared to one that was released a month ago.

Both are good. Overall, though, I would choose the Voyage because it fits my reading habits better (and its screen is sharper) — smaller, lighter with page turn "buttons" on both sides. Not that I have anything against Kobos. I like my Clara HD quite a bit, I just like the shape of the Voyage better than the Libra, Forma, Sage or Oasis.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #109
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Do remember that the Voyage is no longer made (sob!) and some units are developing expanding (unsafe) batteries. My mom and I each lost one to an expanding battery. Amazon will no longer accept it as an exchange once the battery starts to expand, so you lose even the 20% on a new unit, if you wait that long. Sigh.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #110
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Do remember that the Voyage is no longer made (sob!) and some units are developing expanding (unsafe) batteries. My mom and I each lost one to an expanding battery. Amazon will no longer accept it as an exchange once the battery starts to expand, so you lose even the 20% on a new unit, if you wait that long. Sigh.
If mine gets to that point, I'll just replace the battery. Don't plan on trading it in anyhow — in my opinion Amazon doesn't have anything better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12473177506...oAAOSwdcBgqNZe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFqBrIE4mT0
Old 11-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #111
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If mine gets to that point, I'll just replace the battery. Don't plan on trading it in anyhow — in my opinion Amazon doesn't have anything better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12473177506...oAAOSwdcBgqNZe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFqBrIE4mT0
I tried to replace the battery. It is glued in place, something fierce. I didn't feel comfortable torquing (bending) it, nor risking puncturing the foil skin that was holding it in place and was pulling at the glue. I had the unit in pieces, but just couldn't safely get the battery out.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #112
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I tried to replace the battery. It is glued in place, something fierce. I didn't feel comfortable torquing (bending) it, nor risking puncturing the foil skin that was holding it in place and was pulling at the glue. I had the unit in pieces, but just couldn't safely get the battery out.
You have to take the plastic "spudger" (or whatever it's called) and gently pull up around the edges. It may take a little while, but it seems like once the edges are loose, the middle kind of "pops" with just a little force. I've never ripped the foil but the foil is not the battery cell, it's to keep the cells from venting. (Still important not to rip it, but I've found the foil is actually pretty tough.)

Last edited by rcentros; 11-29-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: replaced "pry" with "pull up" - don't want to pry down
Old 11-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #113
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but based on your picture the Voyage is not showing a lot of the finer details of the image, compared to the Libra 2. See the difference between the signatures on the bottom right corner, or some of the smaller circular details in the hairstyle (like top right, under the butterfly wing), the hairline... I'm not sure if that also depends on how the Kindle and Kobo softwares handle grayscale conversion. What's black looks equally black in both screens to me.

It is true though that there's a certain generation of E-Ink screens that was really white, and I'm not sure there's been any screen quite as white in the following releases. The Voyage is one example, but the Kobo Aura H2O too has the whitest screen of all the readers I've ever owned, even though it didn't have 300ppi. The Glo HD screen too was really nice.
You're right. The voyage's dithering makes everything look darker. I reduced the photo to 1 bit (black and white only, no grays) to take the rendering software out of the equation. That makes things much closer. The voyage still looks better to me (not just this picture but books, under different lighting conditions, including dark mode using koreader). But I think maybe it's just the Libra's green tint that makes everything look like it has haze over it to my eyes
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:06 PM   #114
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You're right. The voyage's dithering makes everything look darker. I reduced the photo to 1 bit (black and white only, no grays) to take the rendering software out of the equation. ...
The Libra 2 has less contrast. It would be nice to see comparison pictures of the Voyage vs. Libra 2 on a page from a book.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #115
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Libra 2 has less contrast. It would be nice to see comparison pictures of the Voyage vs. Libra 2 on a page from a book.
agreed. a comparison with the front light off and on would be much appreciated.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #116
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
agreed. a comparison with the front light off and on would be much appreciated.

best wishes koboy
Some photos, per req. Unfortunately I have a really lousy camera and unsteady hands so I don't know how much you can tell from these. Note that the camera overexposed all these shots

First, with lights off, or all the way minimum anyway. The voyage is noticeably less gray irl.

https://ibb.co/MDqc8dp

Lights on. You be the judge

https://ibb.co/7gS5bB8

Voyage doesn't have dark mode, so I'm using koreader for both instead of the native readers. The camera makes both look blurrier than they actually are, but relative to each other, it's a fair representation of what I see irl.

https://ibb.co/7WP9Vjt

Actual experience of reading on them, the voyage is easier on my eyes somehow, despite having no warm light etc. I think it's the Libra's green tint that bothers me, because they are very close in contrast and clarity. How much I like the Libra's image quality seems to vary much more depending on ambient lighting.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #117
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Some photos, per req. Unfortunately I have a really lousy camera and unsteady hands so I don't know how much you can tell from these. ...
The Voyage (with its 7 year-old technology) still comes across as amazing. I was surprised to see the dark screen on the Voyage was darker than the Libra 2's dark screen. By quite a bit.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #118
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Some photos, per req. Unfortunately I have a really lousy camera and unsteady hands so I don't know how much you can tell from these. Note that the camera overexposed all these shots

First, with lights off, or all the way minimum anyway. The voyage is noticeably less gray irl.

https://ibb.co/MDqc8dp

Lights on. You be the judge

https://ibb.co/7gS5bB8

Voyage doesn't have dark mode, so I'm using koreader for both instead of the native readers. The camera makes both look blurrier than they actually are, but relative to each other, it's a fair representation of what I see irl.

https://ibb.co/7WP9Vjt

Actual experience of reading on them, the voyage is easier on my eyes somehow, despite having no warm light etc. I think it's the Libra's green tint that bothers me, because they are very close in contrast and clarity. How much I like the Libra's image quality seems to vary much more depending on ambient lighting.
thank you for taking the time to do this. for me it's 3 out of 3 for the Kindle Voyage, obviously the usual subjective disclaimer applies

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #119
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The Voyage DOES look better in all those images, sufficiently better that it managed to override the queasy/nauseous feeling I got from the pink Libra cover. Very impressive.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #120
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Some photos, per req.
Maybe cropping out everything but the screens might provide a good comparison.

https://slate.com/technology/2013/12...s-of-gray.html
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote