Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #16
Entry20
O
Entry20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite - 7th Generation
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And I dont know where you get the idea that backgrounds for all HTML pages are white. As per the actual HTML spec the background color defaults to transparent not white.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ckground-color

See the initial value on that page.
I wanted to say that by default, all pages have a white background (on google chrome for e.g.). Even if I have a pink/neon green windows theme (like the images I've posted above), it will still display a white background for every web page (if that page doesn't have a background-color / background: OTHER COLOR style applied).

I don't say that you need to define a css background color for the editor.

I wanted to suggest that the default background of the File preview should be white. No need to add css code. Just apply it with the software code you used to create Calibre.

Let me ask you, what's the default colors of a kindle ebook page or a web html page? (That's right black text + white background). This should be the same for Calibre File Preview in my opinion.

I hope it makes sense now.
Entry20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
My thinking of this problem.

Using themes is maybe the same like using colored sunglasses in some cases. Once you decide to use purple glasses the new white will be light purple and not white. Cutting a small area out of the glass for correcting this problem in reading a book with "correct" white pages is maybe as well not the best decision.

This does not mean I can't understand the wish to correct a outside driven issue, but maybe it is a better solution to change the initiator of an issue for the time you are using the editor.

A little remark. Your assumption about the "correct" white and black for a reading device or a white book page isn't as easy as you think. Take two different devices from different display charges and you will see how much this will differ, not to mention between manufacturers and display technologies. Same for paper, backlight for reading devices and for individual setup's.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
Entry20
O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
My thinking of this problem.
A little remark. Your assumption about the "correct" white and black for a reading device or a white book page isn't as easy as you think. Take two different devices from different display charges and you will see how much this will differ, not to mention between manufacturers and display technologies. Same for paper, backlight for reading devices and for individual setup's.
Take a screenshot with a book (not a page colored PDF, a normal ebook like epub/azw3/mobi) with your Sony PRS-650 and then connect the device to the computer and take a look at that image. It's black text over white background.

I'm not talking about the real life scenario where a kindle screen has a dark grey colored tint. I'm talking about the devices screen view.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #19
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And I dont know where you get the idea that backgrounds for all HTML pages are white. As per the actual HTML spec the background color defaults to transparent not white.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ckground-color

See the initial value on that page.
Interesting, because every browser I have defaults to white (or if it's transparent, it's on a white window, regardless of desktop theme). Years ago Netscape used to be grey by default (or transparent on a grey window, whatever).
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #20
Entry20
O

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
Interesting, because every browser I have defaults to white (or if it's transparent, it's on a white window, regardless of desktop theme). Years ago Netscape used to be grey by default (or transparent on a grey window, whatever).
Someone gets it. Thank you!

The only simple fix I'm using right now is:

body {
background: white;
}
Old 11-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #21
HappyMilkXD
HappyMilkXD began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
OK, this post is old, but it was the first result I got when I looked for this problem. And I found a solution. I don't know if this wasn't available in 2018, but today, 29th of November, 2021, I was able to fix it by going to Edit > Preferences > Preview settings and setting Background color, Foreground color and Link color to No change.
HappyMilkXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark, problem, theme, windows