Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Calibre can't start

I have just updated from v5.30 to Version 5.32, running on Windows 10, and for the first time ever the update failed.
Every time I try to start Calibre now I get the message "Failed to delete the Calibre program folder. Make sure calibre is not running."
I have tried to install to a new location and copy the library across and while it installs and works fine in a new location, it does not detect the library. Of course none of my settings would be detected either.
I've never known Calibre to fail so I don't now know what to do?
Can someone advise please?

Update:
Just been playing around trying things and now I get "Failed to launch: "C\XXXXXXXXXXXX\Calibre Portable\Calibre\Calibre.exe"
The system cannot find the file specified.
[Error Code: 2}]"

Sure enough if I go to the Calibre folder all the .exe files are gone.

Last edited by JollyRoger; 11-21-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Figure out what on your computer deleted those exe files, most likely an antivirus or similar "quarantining" them.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:04 AM   #3
JollyRoger
Zealot

The folder that holds all my portable stuff is excluded from any scan or anti virus, and there's been no message to say anything was bad. My system hasn't changed in years, but if noone else has stated a problem then it must be my computer.
However this is the first time I have noticed that if I install it to a new folder, and call the new folder "Calibre test", when it unpacks all the files are contained inside a subfolder called "Calibre Portable". That's never happened before. Why would that happen?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
The folder that holds all my portable stuff is excluded from any scan or anti virus, and there's been no message to say anything was bad. My system hasn't changed in years, but if noone else has stated a problem then it must be my computer.
However this is the first time I have noticed that if I install it to a new folder, and call the new folder "Calibre test", when it unpacks all the files are contained inside a subfolder called "Calibre Portable". That's never happened before. Why would that happen?
The initial install of Calibre Portable has created a folder of that name for years, maybe forever. It can be changed, but best done immediately after installing. Subsequent installs can overwrite an existing install irrespective of the folder name.

All of these folders started life as Calibre Portable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-23 084509.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	190383

I just upgraded the Version 5 current folder from 5.16.1 to 5.32.0.

BR
Old 11-25-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
JollyRoger
Zealot

I finally installed a new version and managed to get it to recognise the old library, so i replaced the old installation with this new one.
However no matter what I change on Mobi output settings, it always defaults back to the set ones.
WHow can I force output settings to be what I set in Mobi output?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I finally installed a new version and managed to get it to recognise the old library, so i replaced the old installation with this new one.
However no matter what I change on Mobi output settings, it always defaults back to the set ones.
WHow can I force output settings to be what I set in Mobi output?
Setting not sticking is usually a Permission issue with the configuration folder.
Settings that WERE previously used are also SAVED with the book entry. (there is a Tic or button in the Conversion dialog, to make them read the CURRENT DEFAULT set in preferences)

BUT You have been asked before: WHY Mobi?
Unless you have a Early Kindle (<gen4), AZW is a better format (full EPUB support)
Old 11-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Why Mobi

I can't speak for OP, but I always convert to Mobi (along with keeping an AZW and EPUB version) so that if I want to read on my Kindles, I can use the Send to Kindle app to add it to my library of Kindle documents.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I can't speak for OP, but I always convert to Mobi (along with keeping an AZW and EPUB version) so that if I want to read on my Kindles, I can use the Send to Kindle app to add it to my library of Kindle documents.
That is valid if you don't (want to) side load
Old 11-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
JollyRoger
Zealot

tbh just pure habit? Mobi reads well on my 2 devices and apart from the odd glitch it converts well.
Also, I can't convert azw3 files now, am I missing a plugin?

Last edited by JollyRoger; 11-25-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
tbh just pure habit? Mobi reads well on my 2 devices and apart from the odd glitch it converts well.
Also, I can't convert azw3 files now, am I missing a plugin?
AZW is a builtin
You might check Preferences:Plugins and see if you had disabled any of the 'Amazon' series PI
Old 11-26-2021, 03:24 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

I'm closing this thread, it's gone off topic and the OP has this on topic thread running AZW3 to Mobi

BR
Closed Thread