Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Properly formatted PDFs to Epub

I've been having difficulties when it comes to converting my many pdf files. In general, the majority of my pdf's are formatted well and are very much the most readable they can be.

But after using Calibre to convert them to epub I lose much of the formatting. Gaps appear where there should be none, huge breaks in text etc.

I've read through FAQ's and such and can't seem to figure it out. I know pdf's are the least desirable format to convert from, but aside from the odd image for chapter breaks, there really shouldn't be a reason I lose the paragraph, sentence or whatever structure. Is there something I can do to remedy this?
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Red_Night
Red_Night began at the beginning.

Device: I don't know
Maybe you can convert pdf to word (rtf) and try with this one.
Red_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
What I do with pdf's:
- Use mobipocket creator to convert to html
- Edit the html with notepad++
- Create the epub with Sigil
- Unzip the epub and make further corrections with notepad++
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I have exported PDFs directly from Acrobat to HTML with some success, but I'm really just waiting for Kovid to finish his sure to be awesome improved PDF conversion thing.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

I'll try html and rtf, converting straight from pdf to epub just leaves way to much to edit afterwards. Hopefully going through another format first I can keep the form structure.

Thanks for the help
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
I'll try html and rtf, converting straight from pdf to epub just leaves way to much to edit afterwards. Hopefully going through another format first I can keep the form structure.
Hi, AgentBEATS, I did some testing of PDF to RTF. You might be interested to read this short thread which lists some of the problems I found.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57115
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A lot depends on whether the original PDF was properly tagged. If it wasn't then there's nothing for it but to got through the text searching for bad paragraph marks. If it was, then first export the PDF to html in Acrobat and then feed that to calibre.

Pablo is right, though, even a tagged PDF will need a reasonable amount of html editing to create a professional result, unless whoever created it was particularly scrupulous with the tags and carefully marked each style.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
In general, the majority of my pdf's are formatted well and are very much the most readable they can be.
Why exactly are you trying to convert them then?

I'd recommend using a method that preserves the look of the PDFs exactly if the PDFs already look good. This could involve just using the PDF itself, if your device is capable, or doing minor tweaks like removing margins and cutting the text into chunks sized for your reader.

Explore options such as sopdf, PDFLRF and PDFread and see if you get results you like.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why exactly are you trying to convert them then?

I'd recommend using a method that preserves the look of the PDFs exactly if the PDFs already look good. This could involve just using the PDF itself, if your device is capable, or doing minor tweaks like removing margins and cutting the text into chunks sized for your reader.

Explore options such as sopdf, PDFLRF and PDFread and see if you get results you like.
The reason I'm trying to convert them is exactly that, the device I'm using doesn't support PDFs. I don't have a proper E-Reader yet, so I'm using my Nintendo DS with DSLibris, which reads epub. Even though it's not proper, it still works fairly well, but suffers due to poorly formatted conversions from my PDFs to Epub.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
In that case, my suggestion would be to try using PDFLRF to convert to LRF, and then use calibre to convert the LRF to ePub.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
In that case, my suggestion would be to try using PDFLRF to convert to LRF, and then use calibre to convert the LRF to ePub.
Thanks I'll try that.