Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #76
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
What live icons are there in iOS 7 other than the calendar and the clock? Are you actually able to switch off the automatic updating?

Graham
This comment related to a criticism of iOS as being outdated compared to the "joys" of interfaces with lots of such things...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #77
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There is a significant difference. With a weather widget, I can see the forecast at a glance, without having to enter the app - time saved. With an email widget, I can read the subject and first line of the email, so I see if I need to read the rest and reply or can go back to whatever I was doing.
The equivalent in iOS is pulling the notification list down (from within any app), which can include widgety things like weather, stock values, mail and calendar items and so on.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #78
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
This comment related to a criticism of iOS as being outdated compared to the "joys" of interfaces with lots of such things...
Sorry, you've got me confused elcreative. You made the specific point, in bold, that you weren't talking about "lots of such things" generally - i.e. widgets or live tiles - but about live icons.

So, since you're not referring to widgets and live tiles, which live icons are we talking about if not the calendar and clock?

Grahan
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #79
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Sorry, you've got me confused elcreative. You made the specific point, in bold, that you weren't talking about "lots of such things" generally - i.e. widgets or live tiles - but about live icons.

So, since you're not referring to widgets and live tiles, which live icons are we talking about if not the calendar and clock?

Grahan
Not specific icons but the concept across all Os's, at that point I was saying I wouldn't regard that as an indicator of a "tired" OS if not present and, if present, I'd try and disable unless it gave me some specific advantage... not having a go at those who want such things but saying that I didn't... and I always suspect any article that use "most users" as a comment as it usually means that nobody's actually checked or just asked their like-minded mates...

The quote you've used relates back to earlier comments as well...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #80
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not specific icons but the concept across all Os's, at that point I was saying I wouldn't regard that as an indicator of a "tired" OS if not present and, if present, I'd try and disable unless it gave me some specific advantage... not having a go at those who want such things but saying that I didn't... and I always suspect any article that use "most users" as a comment as it usually means that nobody's actually checked or just asked their like-minded mates...
It's probably me, but I just don't understand why you made the specific comment about referring to live icons in response to the criticism regarding your opinion of widgets and tiles. It seems that your preferences do apply to things such as widgets and live tiles as well.

Anyway, never mind, my confusion shouldn't derail the thread any further!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #81
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I get what you are saying elcreative. You don't have a need for much more than an app launcher. That's fine. But that's a different argument. Like has been mentioned already, if you don't want those features in other OSs you don't have to use them. The simple fact that they are there makes for a more advanced OS and platform whether you use them or not. And you are not disputing that the features are indeed there, so I don't see any point in discussing this tangent further.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote