Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Since my master library is in calibre, whenever a title catches my fancy, I tag it TBR. I also use Goodreads "want to read" feature.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
for me, keeping track of to-be read books is all about creating shelves on my reader.

i tend to sideload books in large batches onto my Kobo, so things can go a while before they get read.

but the ones i know i really, really want to read soon get put in a shelf called "shortlist". i try to add each book when it's sideloaded into a shelf (or more than one) based on what type of book it is. so a book might make it into "mills and boon" or might be in "nonfiction" and also "pyschology" or stuff like that.

shortlist is where i know the ones i want to read soon are. but sometimes i'm ready to start something new and i just know the genre: young adult, nonfiction, etc that i want to read, so the other shelves help too.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've given a very good solution, yet others are still trying to come up with solutions not nearly as good. Why?

Plus, with GoodReads, you can access it from any internet connected device with a web browser to have a look at your TBR list. You don't need any specific device or some file in Excel in order to view your TBR list. This in itself helps make it the best solution.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-02-2012 at 11:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #19
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Because we don't all find goodreads to our liking? Because you didn't say a single word about how it worked or why it was so great?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
And I'm back again after a rather lengthy pause. :-)

I really don't understand the necessity to put more science and statistics in keeping track of reading with all sorts of spreadsheets or even online databases.

My Calibre holds two libraries:
One fore "liberated" Kindle books and one for "all other".

My Kindle holds the following collections:
TBR - Which is my to-be-read list and also where the current reading book resides.
Finished - Where finished books lands after reading.
Important - Where there are mostly reference and books thad need to be reread.
Shortstories - Where "short" books resides, perfect for airport reading.

If I'm reading a series, there *might* be a small note, either on paper or as a "yellow sticker" on my phone where the next-in-line title is listed.

Simple as that.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
Baroness
ePub Fan
Baroness began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5
If I want to read a book but I haven't yet purchased or borrowed it (for example, if an acquaintance has recommended it on the fly, if it's a book by a favourite author or if it's not yet an ebook -- and I'm looking at you, Battle Royale!), I add it to the default 'to-read' shelf in GoodReads. However, as I mostly use GoodReads to track books that I have read, they tend to get neglected -- so I also keep a simple check-list of a few at a time which have caught my interest in a big way in Evernote.

If I already own the book (or am already borrowing it), I simply keep it in my iPhone until it's been read. From there, my favourites stay on my iPhone (though may get shuffled through the shelves) and books that are less-than-favourites are removed from the iPhone (but remain in Calibre for future access). I've considered making a custom column in Calibre, but it seems easier to just export everything to my iPhone and let my fingers do the choosing.
Baroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
I've given a very good solution, yet others are still trying to come up with solutions not nearly as good. Why?
Because we disagree with you?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Because we disagree with you?

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #24
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I can't be the only person who immediately thought of this.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have a folder containing all the ebooks I've bought but I haven't read yet. I only have these books on my Kindle/iPhone/Opus.

When I've read a book, I delete it from the folder.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
140 of mine are pbooks*, so a Calibre or ereader solution isn't going to work for me.

That's more than I thought, to be honest. Some of them go back a long way, but I kind of suspect I have gained more paper books in the last year than I usually did before I got my ereader.

*I know that because of my spreadsheet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:

Plus, with GoodReads, you can access it from any internet connected device with a web browser to have a look at your TBR list. You don't need any specific device or some file in Excel in order to view your TBR list. This in itself helps make it the best solution.
Goodreads is too bandwidth-intensive for my limited-bandwidth connection. (we live in the country, and have a satellite connection via Hughesnet)

I use Calibre's book list feature. when I remember.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a hand-coded webpage that links to where I purchased the book. I use the same page to keep track of which of those books I have read.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Quote:
just because it's a good solution for one person doesn't mean it's a one-size-fits-all solution.

with the wide variety of readers and ereaders out there, different solutions work for different people. i'm often travelling, and don't have internet access at every minute. so an internet-based solution probably isn't going to be the first thing i think of. but it works for some folks. those reading the thread get to see the variety of ways we all solve this issue.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've got a custom column in Calibre called Read? (also "Date Read"). But I also use Goodreads. I used to keep track of my TBR by adding together my "currently reading" and "to read" shelves. I then made a rule that unless my TBR went down over a month I couldn't buy any new (e)books the following month. I had to abandon it because I kept cheating. Also a lot of TBR list is technically to-be-read but will take a long time to reach the top of the list. I find it hard to pass up a book from a favourite author in order to read a classic I downloaded because I've heard of it and thought I'd read it "one day".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote