Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall be our category for September 2013?
Biography/Memoir 12 41.38%
Mobileread Authors 10 34.48%
Short Stories 11 37.93%
Banned or Challenged Books 17 58.62%
Free-For-All 11 37.93%
Young Adult 8 27.59%
Modern Fiction 6 20.69%
Lottery (version 3) 5 17.24%
Fantasy 8 27.59%
Humor 7 24.14%
Books by Japanese authors 6 20.69%
Historical Fiction 7 24.14%
MobileRead Classic (must be in our Library and at least 50 years old) 10 34.48%
First Book in a Series 5 17.24%
Philosophy 10 34.48%
Foreign (books originally written in a language other than English) 9 31.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I'd like to know is who the heck actually authorized that crap to be published? All it is is a big flaming heap of dung disguised as a book.
In your (not at all humble) opinion!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I think we will end up getting a nice free-for-all list out of challenged books and I think it will be a lot of fun gleaning lists for ideas. Based on those.

Already, the book two book clubs have read at least two that I know of. Slaughterhouse-Five and Lolita.

There are some crazy brilliant writers and titles on the list: The Sun Also Rises, The Grapes of Wrath, Rabbit, Run, The Handmaid's Tale, Beloved, As I Lay Dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Green Eggs and Ham (1960) Dr. Seuss Novel In 1965, the children's novel was temporarily banned in the People's Republic of China for its portrayal of early Marxism. The ban was lifted in 1991, following Seuss' death.
Marxism? Am I missing something written between the lines of being a picky eater?

Allen Ginsberg's Howl looks interesting considering he went to trial for obscenity.

In case no one has posted this link yet or mentioned it:
ALA's page on banned and challenged books
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Already, the book two book clubs have read at least two that I know of. Slaughterhouse-Five and Lolita.
And both are not good books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Third time lucky?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
D.H. Lawrence has had several books banned and would certainly be eligible for this category.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I'll take that as a write-in vote for Joyce.
Joyce isn't boring. You just have to be on the right combination of drugs when you read him.

If I ever hook up again with my buds from the 60s, I may give Ulysses another shot.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^I really liked some portions of Ulysses, but it is very long and the first hundred or so pages were quite a slog when I read it.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
^I think we will end up getting a nice free-for-all list out of challenged books and I think it will be a lot of fun gleaning lists for ideas. Based on those.

There are some crazy brilliant writers and titles on the list: The Sun Also Rises, The Grapes of Wrath, Rabbit, Run, The Handmaid's Tale, Beloved, As I Lay Dying

Marxism? Am I missing something written between the lines of being a picky eater?

Allen Ginsberg's Howl looks interesting considering he went to trial for obscenity.

In case no one has posted this link yet or mentioned it:
ALA's page on banned and challenged books

Well the people at FOX News were recently claiming that The Lorax was "demonizing the 1% and espousing green energy policies." So I guess it all evens out in the end. To me Dr Suess was just a genius at writing books that would hold children's interest while teaching them to read.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Well the people at FOX News were recently claiming that The Lorax was "demonizing the 1% and espousing green energy policies." So I guess it all evens out in the end. To me Dr Suess was just a genius at writing books that would hold children's interest while teaching them to read.
Actually, rightly or wrongly, Lou Dobbs' criticisms appear to have been aimed not at Dr Suess, but at the recent movie adaptation of that book. But this is getting mighty close to P&R territory.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Joyce isn't boring. You just have to be on the right combination of drugs when you read him.
I'm not looking to read a book I have to be near death to be able to actually read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Banned or Challenged Books it is. The October category nominations will be up shortly.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

October's thread is up.