Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #226
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Bill,

Just an aside (but relevant to ebook marketing efforts), is there a reason you only offer your free Outlaw Galaxy book as a set of on-line HTML pages rather than as an ereader-friendly download?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #227
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I'd say point 6 is golden, Steven.

Have you looked into getting an agent? If you can persuade an agent to take an interest in one of your books, it probably has broader appeal. If you can't and you aren't selling erotica or paranormal romance, it probably will never sell particularly well and no amount of promotion is going to make a difference.
You have a point dadioflex the Romance genre is probably the biggest one out there. If a person can blend other genre elements into that one (a romance that includes a mystery or set in a sci fi setting for example) they could get more potential readers. And I imagine that even online location is a good part of things. I mean if one romance author just posts his/her book for sale on his own site and another has it as part of the available books on a site like Ellora's Cave or E-Harlequin the one on the publisher's website will probably get more hits. And not everyone becomes a house hold name via writing either. Those that do I'm sure write a lot of short stories & novels before they become well known. Ted Geisel (Dr.Seuss) was rejected by 27 publishers before his 1st book was accepted (And to think I saw it on Mulberry Street) and even then I wager he couldn't just quit his day job based on that 1st book. Every author who becomes well known starts out as an unknown. I don't deny that he has a point about piracy being a problem, but complaining about it won't make it stop either. He mentioned one site that was offering one of his books for free (and without his knowledge I imagine). I'd make inquiries as to how they got the book and request its removal myself. I mean if I had written a book and hadn't meant for it to be given away free and someone was doing that I'd be annoyed by that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #228
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Bill,

Just an aside (but relevant to ebook marketing efforts), is there a reason you only offer your free Outlaw Galaxy book as a set of on-line HTML pages rather than as an ereader-friendly download?

ApK
Prepping the epub, mobi, pdf, rtf and txt files to be added to my site soon. Will also be adding my books to Amazon and Smashwords in the next couple of weeks.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, marketing an ebook, selling