Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #556
Schattenjager
Schattenjager began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (2015)
Anyway thanks for efforts and support.
Maybe I'll try serial jailbreaking later when I have more time.
Or perhaps it's time to buy a new reader, like PW4)
Schattenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #557
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@hius07: (From a very, very cursory glance) I didn't see anything obviously aimed at axing the bridge, so, not quite sure.

It does break the hotfix, though.

It's not as if we didn't know that 5.12.x is evil, though, so, meh.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #558
Waitingforatrain
Zealot
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Does it matter if we install latest hotfix prior to updating to 5.12.2? Guess I will stay off of wifi as long as possible.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #559
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Does it matter if we install latest hotfix prior to updating to 5.12.2? Guess I will stay off of wifi as long as possible.
Have you read the following (especially the last sentence) and still want to run 5.12.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Updated the first post to reiterate that FW 5.12.x is really evil. For sure.

The bridge has been updated. It might help if it's up to date before the FW upgrade. Or it might not. It definitely will have some side-effects, though, so the tweak only applies to FW 5.12.x.

You really shouldn't be running FW 5.12.x in the first place anyway, so, meh.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #560
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Have you read the following (especially the last sentence) and still want to run 5.12.2?
I am currently running jailbroken 5.12.1 on a KT2. Guess I should be thankful that it (still) works, now that this version of the firmware is proven to be a little difficult.
Had to reinstall the latest bridge, and for a moment, I thought that I had lost my jailbreak and prepared myself for a downgrade.
But I have serial port access, or I would've never attempted that.

Anyhow, to the original poster who wants to update: 5.12.x sucks. Plain and simple. Especially with the new homescreen with the vertical swipe. Idiotic design decision ... I keep instinctively swiping right for the next page ... only that this won't work because it goes down instead, and one has to go up again and tap "Your Library".
And it breaks fake registration (the Kindle would ramp up the CPU trying to communicate with an Amazon server that won't be accessible when you don't have Wi-Fi).
And the titlebar says "Your Kindle" instead of "My Kindle".
Overall, terrible update.

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 10-07-2019 at 01:57 PM.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #561
Waitingforatrain
Zealot
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that it is a terrible update. I am currently on 5.12.1. that update happened inspite of having the partial file. I don't want 5.12.2 but if I connect to Wi-Fi and it tries to run an automatic update then I want to be prepared. I guess it wouldn't hurt to update all of the latest files from October 6th. Just won't connect to Wi-Fi. Anything else I can do to prevent an update if accidentally on Wi-Fi for too long?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #562
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take a hammer to it?

Joking (barely) aside, apparently, no. Unless you feel like reviving @knc1's firewall rules, checking that they still behave, and have no adverse effects (mainly, battery drain because of stupid retries).

Note that the new bridge is obviously untested on FW 5.12, and may eat your first-born's soul. While still potentially being no help at all on the >= 5.12.2 front.
(No longer joking here, it will enforce extra bits of debugging everywhere, parts of which involve re-flashing the touchscreen's FW, which may or may not be problematic on a non-factory FW).

It is as harmless as ever on older FW, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #563
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
I agree that it is a terrible update. I am currently on 5.12.1. that update happened inspite of having the partial file. I don't want 5.12.2 but if I connect to Wi-Fi and it tries to run an automatic update then I want to be prepared. I guess it wouldn't hurt to update all of the latest files from October 6th. Just won't connect to Wi-Fi. Anything else I can do to prevent an update if accidentally on Wi-Fi for too long?
Use the serial port to revert to 5.10.x or lower.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #564
Waitingforatrain
Zealot

That's a thought. Will look into seeing how that would be done on a Voyage.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #565
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
. . . . . .

(No longer joking here, it will enforce extra bits of debugging everywhere, parts of which involve re-flashing the touchscreen's FW, which may or may not be problematic on a non-factory FW).

It is as harmless as ever on older FW, though.
Re-flashing the touchscreen's FW?
How did we miss using the touchscreen's FW as the jailbreak and/or bridge?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 AM   #566
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Re-flashing the touchscreen's FW?
How did we miss using the touchscreen's FW as the jailbreak and/or bridge?
That implies that:
- the touchscreen FW could modify the filesystem (to inject the MR development certificate)
- the touchscreen FW is unified across devices (or even across revisions of the same device)
- that it's safe to flash it in userland.
- that it doesn't do cryptographic verification.

That's a lot of assumptions here. And couldn't this be a malware vector? (You know, people turning Kindles into botnets or something)

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 10-08-2019 at 04:39 AM.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #567
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If "somebody" could create a botnet on the system, so could we.
(In fact, we did once upon a time - people could jb a device by just referencing a web page.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #568
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The point is moot anyway since we don't have access to any of it (it's in /lib, think linux-fw).
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #569
hius07
Addict
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Good report from a user at 4pda.ru:
PW2 5.12.1, no autoupdate block folder.
Installed the latest hotfix as update. Got a virtual book on the home screen "Обратная связь с Амазон" (some of "call back to Amazon") which cannot be deleted.
Manually installed update 5.12.2. Jailbreak survived, KOReader can be started.
Installed the latest hotfix as update (as experiment on 5.12.2).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #570
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hius07: Yay. \o/.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje