Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
hunter64
hunter64 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
New Kindle User - Hello ALL!

I want to say hello to all of you!

I read about lost kindles and saw of a reply from Ricky Maveety on bookplates (not sure) to increase the chances of getting a lost kindle returned.

Can someone tell me were the original thread is and what he has done to protect from such thing happening?

Also can you "lock" the kindle from access?

Thanks,
Hunter64
hunter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
I want to say hello to all of you!

I read about lost kindles and saw of a reply from Ricky Maveety on bookplates (not sure) to increase the chances of getting a lost kindle returned.

Can someone tell me were the original thread is and what he has done to protect from such thing happening?

Also can you "lock" the kindle from access?

Thanks,
Hunter64
Ummm, sure?? First "he" is a she .... me .... Ricky. (I'm a poet and I don't even know it!!)

You can't lock the Kindle from access, but if it is stolen, you can immediately deauthorize it, which will keep the thief from being able to buy more books on your account. Your books should also be backed up to your computer, although you can redownload them to a new Kindle.

What I did was create a bookplate graphic that serves as the screensaver for my Kindles. I eliminated the default screensavers and just use the bookplate. Every time the unit goes into sleep mode, my name, address and phone number show up on the screen.

While a thief is not likely to return the unit, if it's just a matter of it being lost, I figure I'm much more likely to get it back with all of that information displayed.

I attached several bookplates in the Freebies area .... I will see if I can find the exact post so you can have a bookplate if you like any of the designs I posted.

And here's the link to the plates I posted. LINK!

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 12-05-2008 at 11:34 AM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi hunter64 and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
hunter64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Ummm, sure?? First "he" is a she .... me .... Ricky. (I'm a poet and I don't even know it!!)

You can't lock the Kindle from access, but if it is stolen, you can immediately deauthorize it, which will keep the thief from being able to buy more books on your account. Your books should also be backed up to your computer, although you can redownload them to a new Kindle.

What I did was create a bookplate graphic that serves as the screensaver for my Kindles. I eliminated the default screensavers and just use the bookplate. Every time the unit goes into sleep mode, my name, address and phone number show up on the screen.

While a thief is not likely to return the unit, if it's just a matter of it being lost, I figure I'm much more likely to get it back with all of that information displayed.

I attached several bookplates in the Freebies area .... I will see if I can find the exact post so you can have a bookplate if you like any of the designs I posted.

And here's the link to the plates I posted. LINK!
Thank you Ricky, and sorry about the gender confusion!

I will move on putting the screen saver on my kindle today. I have not connected my kindle to my PC as of yet. I just used the whispernet todate.

Again my thanks,
Hunter64
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
Thank you Ricky, and sorry about the gender confusion!

I will move on putting the screen saver on my kindle today. I have not connected my kindle to my PC as of yet. I just used the whispernet todate.

Again my thanks,
Hunter64
Hey, as long as I'm not confused about my gender, I don't really worry all that much about the rest of the world.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
hunter64

Hello Ricky,

I got into my kindle via my PC. I see there are two files associated with every book.

one *.azw and one *.mbp file. I dont not see anything that would be a "screensaver" file? I want to add and bookplate and then probably remove default screensavers!

Can you please help me?

Thanks,
Ron