Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Which ereader has the best frontlight?

I have a kobo glo, and the light, while not useless, is too bright at the lowest setting to read for more than a few minutes in a dark room. Also the light is a bit patchy.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Possibly the Kobo Aura HD?

Not sure how the light on the new PW2 matches up to it, but the Aura HD certainly seems the best quality up to now. Although, I'd check for feedback on the brightness of the light at a low setting, that seems to be a 'feature' of the Kobo's that it doesn't quite go low enough.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Just asking...Have you updated the firmware lately? When I first got my Kobo the light was very bright on the lowest setting. Somewhere along the line, Kobo dimmed the light in a firmware update.

Just checking,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Just asking...Have you updated the firmware lately? When I first got my Kobo the light was very bright on the lowest setting. Somewhere along the line, Kobo dimmed the light in a firmware update.

Just checking,

Penny
Yes, thanks, it has the latest firmware. It get slightly dimmer a couple of updates ago, but not nearly enough.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Kindle Paperwhite.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Aura HD definitely has the best light I've personally seen (compared to the Kobo Glo, Nook Glow & Paperwhite 1), but I haven't had a chance to see the Paperwhite 2 in hand. I'm not a big light fan though and hardly use it. My biggest problem with my Aura HD is some of the little glitches/bugs that have randomly happened since I got it in April.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The Paperwhite 2 might be the best but before that I would say Aura HD.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Those two probably. My Aura HD has a very good light, but too many bugs and glitches, I am waiting for my PW2 to arrive but my PW1 is also very good so it is what I am using now.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Those two probably. My Aura HD has a very good light, but too many bugs and glitches, I am waiting for my PW2 to arrive but my PW1 is also very good so it is what I am using now.
What kind of bugs and glitches? Could you give examples?
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post

I have a kobo glo, and the light, while not useless, is too bright at the lowest setting to read for more than a few minutes in a dark room. Also the light is a bit patchy.
Check out this video by these guys. It shows the light on the Aura HD does go much lower than on the Glo. At least on their device that is... devices' lights even under the same model tend to differ slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tYxn_Jz-o
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I've used the Glo, Aura HD and the new Aura and I would say it's easily the Aura HD with the best light between those three. That`s all I can say with complete honesty based on what I`ve actually used for any real period of time.

I suspect the answer will come down to Aura HD and Paperwhite 2.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
revs
revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.revs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
mr_nihilism, between the new Aura and Aura HD, which one goes goes the lowest?
revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post
mr_nihilism, between the new Aura and Aura HD, which one goes goes the lowest?
I never compared at the lowest setting, and I no longer have the Aura (tried it for a week) because I was not happy with it. I`m one of those that likes to have the light in the range of 30-50% when it`s needed. All I can say is the general quality was better in on the HD.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The Aura HD is still pretty bright. When I'm in a dark room I have it turned down to 3 or 4%. That said, at 4% it's just fine.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote