Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
donnah
donnah began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-5050, kobo touch
Kobo Touch keeps ejecting spontaneously

My kobo touch ejects spontaneously from my computer after it is connected for a short time. Sometimes it ejects while Calibre is getting a list of files, sometimes I manage to copy or delete a few books before it ejects. After that Calibre just gives me errors.

I don't think this is a Calibre problem because when I try to copy books using Windows (XP) after just a few operations, my computer won't see the files anymore. To get it to recognize the reader again, I have to disconnect the kobo, turn it off and on again, and then reconnect. Then I have to hope it stays connected long enough for me to copy they books I want to it. Sometimes I have to do a soft reset to restart the reader.

I am using the most recent firmware. I have contacted kobo support and they just say do a factory reset, try a different cable or computer. Then they ignore me when I say I have done all that multiple times.

I like my touch, but this has become very frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
donnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you've done a factory reset and tried different computer and cord I would say it seems like a hardware issue with the touch itself. You'll have to keep bugging Customer Service and I would post over at GetSatisfaction with your incident # to hopefully get someone to listen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Am I the only one that read the title wrong....
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Are you using an extension cable, external hub, or front panel USB ports? I've found that Kobo (and a card reader I have) is unable to remain connected in those situations. (basically, use no more than one cable for it - and the cable to the motherboard for front USB ports or an external hub counts as a cable) If any of those apply, then plugging in directly to a rear USB port should do the trick.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
maranium
maranium began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Mini
I have had similar problem for months, when I upload over 20 MB on the internal memory at a time, or try to do more then one operation with Calibre while connected to the Kobo. I have had to reset multiple times, and find that it is impractactical for me to keep books on the internal memory since it keeps crapping out. I have to keep everything on the SD card
maranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
donnah

kobo support

I'd be happy if I could reliably load 20 mb of files before it ejected. Often it fails while Calibre is getting a list of files on the device.

It took kobo support three and a half weeks to answer my last request and all it gave me was a canned response on how to do a soft reset (This after I had told them I had already tried a factory reset).

Any advice on how to get the attention of someone from kobo who can actually be helpful?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, are you folks using any sort of USB extension cord, external hub, or front panel USB (unable to keep the device connected for me in such situations)? If you are, first step is to switch to a single cable plugged into a rear USB port.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
donnah

Not using any extensions or hubs for the usb cable. I am using a netbook computer XP SP3, all usb ports on the sides, none of them work.

I tried connecting to a Vista notebook today with no problems. This seems to indicate that it's a driver issue with my netbook. I have tried updating the driver in the device manager but Windows tells me everything is already up to date.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Strange. Windows should see it as a generic USB mass storage device, if it doesn't recognize the actual device. Oh, well, I'm out of ideas. :P
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnah View Post
Not using any extensions or hubs for the usb cable. I am using a netbook computer XP SP3, all usb ports on the sides, none of them work.

I tried connecting to a Vista notebook today with no problems. This seems to indicate that it's a driver issue with my netbook. I have tried updating the driver in the device manager but Windows tells me everything is already up to date.
Maybe XP SP3 don't know about new USB drivers for your netbook. Visit the homepage of your netbook manufacturer and look for a driver.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I would bet on a XP SP3 problem. When I received my KT, I only had a laptop with XP SP3 available. I managed to register it and maybe upload a book but after that I coulnd't do anything with it: it wouldn't recognize it or it would see it as of an unknown device. But now it works perfectly on my home and office Win 7 and Vista.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexul View Post
I would bet on a XP SP3 problem. ...
Me too. Since XP is meanwhile a little "old-fashioned", Microsoft provides only hotfixes & security patches, no drivers. Well, visit http://www.driver-soft.com/, download and run the demo. If unregistered, it won't fix driver issues but it will show you outdated drivers. So you can visit the device manufacturer site and download a driver there.
BTW: I'm not related to driver-soft .
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have xp at work and my kobo will only appear for a brief moment when connected if I try to access the folder it usually crashes out within a few seconds. I have to do all my buying and transfers at home which stinks if I want to read something new on my lunch.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
donnah

After spending 3 weeks at "tier 1", kobo bumped me up to "tier 2 support," and after 2 weeks there, I arrived at "tier 3" where their solution was an RMA. If I send it back, my guess is that they are just going to send me a refurbished model that will have the same problem. So no help whatsoever from kobo!

Driver soft tells me that I have outdated usb drivers, but when I go to the Acer/Intel sites, there are no new drivers there, so I am at a loss.

Tags
ejects, kobo touch