Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
El Nino Brian
El Nino Brian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Reading RTF files on Kobo Touch

Hello MobileRead users,

A warm hello from Philadelphia, the city of brotherly (and sisterly) love.

I have a Kindle 3 Wifi and I would like to donate it to our troops overseas who are protecting my freedom. I don't think I would buy another Kindle just because of its restricted environment. I'm contemplating in getting a Kobo Touch because of the many formats it accepts and the display of a large amount of fonts.

My question about the KT is the following: My library consists of carefully formatted Word docs just the way if prefer them, and that is, fully justified, no extra paragraph space, 1 em indent, cover page, and the like. Because the KT accepts RTF files, would I be able to sideload my files and have them appear just the way I have formatted them without using Calibre, EPUB conversion, or any other type of format change?

Thanks for your support.
El Nino Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You say word documents, by this do you mean .doc or .docx file formats?

If so there may be some conversion involved (perhaps as easy and resaving (Save As) as a .rtf in MS Word). The markup for formatting in native word documents (.doc/.docx) isn't the same as .rtf. If already in .rtf file format then in theory yes it should be as simple as mounting (plugging in) the Kobo and copying/moving the files onto the device. I personally haven't tried .rtf files so I can give you specific feedback. Perhaps others who have can chime in.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert