Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Avon (HarperCollins) launches a new digital-first romance imprint

From SBTB:

Quote:
Avon/HarperCollins announced today a digital first imprint, Avon Impulse, which will launch with a digital short from author [Katharine Ashe].
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.c...first-imprint/

First the library thing and now this.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
I guess they shouldn't have pissed off all the ebook readers and librarians.

Or maybe this is why they pissed off all the librarians-- figuring that all the romance readers will buy if they can't get from the library.

Last edited by stormcloude; 03-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
First the library thing and now this.
Uh... wha?

I don't see what is so horrible about setting up a digital + print-on-demand romance imprint that has an open submission policy.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Uh... wha?

I don't see what is so horrible about setting up a digital + print-on-demand romance imprint that has an open submission policy.
Nothing wrong with it, other than it's HC and should be boycotted because of the library thing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Uh... wha?

I don't understand the problem either. I think this is a positive step.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't understand the problem either. I think this is a positive step.
But it's Harper Collins.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
"Will Avon Impulse titles be DRM protected?
Yes. Our retail partners will place DRM protection on Avon Impulse titles, following the standard procedure for all Avon books."

I wonder if the new imprint will also be agency priced... if so, that would be two strikes against them.

ETA: Three strikes if there's a cap on library lending for the new imprint.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But it's Harper Collins.
i'm sure they're entitled to have a change of heart? or perhaps do something to better their tarnished image/reputation?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Carina Press does it better (no DRM, pricing looks reasonably low) and I think they've got a likelier chance of success, being backed by Harlequin.

On the other hand, it does look like this Avon Impulse will be publishing mostly known-and-established authors, which might tilt them towards greater viability.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Uh... wha?

No, but it's hardly the revolutionary move they seem to think it is. Once again, print publishers are about 10 years behind the trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Carina Press does it better (no DRM, pricing looks reasonably low) and I think they've got a likelier chance of success, being backed by Harlequin.
Sales at Carina have been abyssmal, from all the author reports I've heard. Anecdotal evidence, I admit, but still.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i'm sure they're entitled to have a change of heart? or perhaps do something to better their tarnished image/reputation?
Did they change their policy on 26 ebook loans? If not, then they still need to be boycotted; and that includes the ENTIRE company and all of its imprints - NO EXCEPTIONS!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nothing wrong with it, other than it's HC and should be boycotted because of the library thing.
Seriously? That's your pitch?

Avon is an imprint; they aren't responsible for the decisions of the top brass.

Nor, I might add, is it somehow an "additional" insult to readers to launch an ebook-first, print-later imprint, as stormcloud suggested.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
No, but it's hardly the revolutionary move they seem to think it is. Once again, print publishers are about 10 years behind the trend.
The "trend?" Ebooks were around 5-6% of the market last year, and probably still less than 10% now. Were they supposed to launch a digital-primary imprint before anyone owned a viable ebook reader...?

I don't really see them treating this as a revolutionary thing either. Rather, they realize that traditional outlets are shrinking, and they're adapting their business to suit -- which, I might add, is more or less what they're supposed to do.

I don't see this as "zomg they are visionary geniuses." But contempt is not really warranted either.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Personally, I think that e-publication first, then print editions if someone really wants them/the book proves to merit one is a good idea.

There's a lot of chaff to be sorted out from the wheat (Y HELO THAR, Sturgeon's Law) and it's also bad karma to kill trees for no good reason.

Plenty of junk being published that just shouldn't be committed to paper and ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Sales at Carina have been abyssmal, from all the author reports I've heard. Anecdotal evidence, I admit, but still.
Darn. I don't read the genre (excepting the interesting-looking occasional freebie), but I was hoping someone outside of sf/fantasy would be doing well with the DRM-free, reasonable pricing with occasional discounts, niche market model.

On the other hand, conventional romance seems pretty much glutted for choice and Carina's only been "live" since mid-2010-ish and they look like they're catering to specialty subgenres that might not have as much of a mainstream audience, so eventually their market might grow over time?

Samhain and Ellora's Cave seem to be doing pretty well with their own no-DRM e-books then print models.

Unless those are further publishers you happen to also have author reports for suffering sales, I suppose.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-07-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I can spell reports as well as make them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Seriously? That's your pitch?

Avon is an imprint; they aren't responsible for the decisions of the top brass.
Sure they are; they're part of the company. I make no distinction to an entity's place in the food chain when I boycott. The entire company gets boycotted.