Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A request for book scanners

Can you start saving and uploading the title, TOC, and prologue/chapter pages from the books you scan (public domain only, of course)? I want to improve the appearance of ebooks I make, and one way to do that is to include details that make the ebook look more like a real book.

I want to gather a collection of these pages so we can all use them. A large collection will mean that someone might draw inspiration from more than one example and create something new, rather than simply copy an existing design.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
In addition to the page image, it would be nice to share marked up text such as a page to include indicating that the book was produced for MobilRead if one wished. I've been trying to improve on the defaults produced with BD, but I'm a bit challenged.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
In addition to the page image, it would be nice to share marked up text such as a page to include indicating that the book was produced for MobilRead if one wished. I've been trying to improve on the defaults produced with BD, but I'm a bit challenged.
That would be better as a separate thread. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll start it tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I've discovered that I'm not that good at scanning books. The attached ZIP file has examples from 7 books.

While the books might still be under copyright, the pages I've scanned can be posted on the US server under a fair use argument. If anyone wants to add similar pages, please feel free.
Attached Files
File Type: html readme.html (903 Bytes, 368 views)
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've discovered that I'm not that good at scanning books. The attached ZIP file has examples from 7 books.
Couple of things...

First, if you are scanning for text only (e.g. no colour maps etc.) then its probably better to do so in black and white. If you adjust the level right, you will eliminate all that grey.

Second, I think "serious" book scanners cut off the spine so that pages can lay flat on the scanner. I'm guessing that is out of the question for you though.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Couple of things...

First, if you are scanning for text only (e.g. no colour maps etc.) then its probably better to do so in black and white. If you adjust the level right, you will eliminate all that grey.

Second, I think "serious" book scanners cut off the spine so that pages can lay flat on the scanner. I'm guessing that is out of the question for you though.
I only scanned these books so I could post formatting ideas, not so I that could convert them. The scan quality is poor but still usable.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I only scanned these books so I could post formatting ideas, not so I that could convert them. The scan quality is poor but still usable.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were posting the samples for. In hindsight its so obvious
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The attached Mobi ebook is an example of what I'm trying to do. The ebook has a number of stylistic improvements that I copied from one of the above scans. The attached rar contains the project files.

The work in question is the Paratime Omnibus by H Beam Piper. I think it's rather pretty.
Attached Files
File Type: prc H Beam Piper Omnibus.prc (1.71 MB, 293 views)

Last edited by Nate the great; 07-18-2009 at 10:16 PM.