Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It depends on the file manager, some of them use xdg-open, some do not. Personally, I dont use file managers. But, if you do use one, then setting all files to open with xdg-open will do the trick. I find maintaining ~/bin/xdg-open for file associations is much easier in the long term. It's more powerful and needs much fewer lines of text to maintain.
Very true. You have given me much to think about.

(I may very well end up sharing that, I assume you don't mind. Copyright, license, and upstream_url included, of course.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no objections to sharing it. It is on my TODO list to someday make my general linux environment available somewhere for others to learn from. Modern linux tends to have a lot of design decisions that benefit less proficient users at the expense of people that can program. I'm not complaining, there are good reasons to make it accessible to non-programmers, but it does mean that it can do with a lot of customization to suit a programmer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have no objections to sharing it. It is on my TODO list to someday make my general linux environment available somewhere for others to learn from. Modern linux tends to have a lot of design decisions that benefit less proficient users at the expense of people that can program. I'm not complaining, there are good reasons to make it accessible to non-programmers, but it does mean that it can do with a lot of customization to suit a programmer.
The same is true of every o/s. I understand why Windows hides file extensions by default, but it's still a "to do" task on every Windows system to disable that feature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The same is true of every o/s. I understand why Windows hides file extensions by default, but it's still a "to do" task on every Windows system to disable that feature.
Sure, I have a long list of customizations I do on windows systems as well, when I find myself on one. The thing I like about linux, however, is that linux configuration is very maintainable. I can replicate my personal linux environment on a new linux machine in a few minutes by simply running a few commands. I find automation/replicability of that kind much harder on windows. Similarly, when I decide to change some aspect of my personal environment, perhaps using new software or a different configuration, the changes are very easy to replicate on all my linux machines, instantly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, I have a long list of customizations I do on windows systems as well, when I find myself on one. The thing I like about linux, however, is that linux configuration is very maintainable. I can replicate my personal linux environment on a new linux machine in a few minutes by simply running a few commands. I find automation/replicability of that kind much harder on windows. Similarly, when I decide to change some aspect of my personal environment, perhaps using new software or a different configuration, the changes are very easy to replicate on all my linux machines, instantly.
Yes, it would be very convenient if these customisations could be made with a script file in Windows. They probably can be using a file to directly edit the registry, but it's inconvenient to do.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amen!

I've been spending the summer learning more about linux; finally with my own machine to play with -- it's been a lot of fun and so easy to make sweeping changes.

I started off just by copying over from a flashdrive some of the dotfiles I cobbled together since a few years ago on the school computers, and a huge chunk of everything was already done. Saved me hours of effort.

Mostly -- it's just so easy to figure out where settings are stored on linux. No registry garbage.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Mostly -- it's just so easy to figure out where settings are stored on linux. No registry garbage.
The whole point of the Windows registry is that it brings all configuration information together in one place. Much better than the older system of having a hundred ".ini" files spread out all over the system.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The whole point of the Windows registry is that it brings all configuration information together in one place. Much better than the older system of having a hundred ".ini" files spread out all over the system.
There are hundreds of megabytes of %APPDATA% that proves you wrong...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
There are hundreds of megabytes of %APPDATA% that proves you wrong...
APPDATA isn't really the same thing. Its intended purpose (which is of course not the same thing as saying that it's the reality!) is to be a data storage area - data, not configuration files - that's private to the app. Eg it's where a mail program like Outlook will store its mailbox data. The actual configuration settings for Outlook, on the other hand, are in the registry.

Does Linux make no distinction between application data files and configuration settings? Forgive the question: my knowledge of Linux is sketchy.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #40
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It depends on which configuration files. Everything (pretty much) in Linux is fa file. Some configuration files are specific to the service or program they are for, but they are still just files. Normally, if a configuration has an interactive menu-type system to change configuration, you can also just edit the configuration file, although often you have to restart the application to get it to reread the file.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It depends on which configuration files. Everything (pretty much) in Linux is fa file. Some configuration files are specific to the service or program they are for, but they are still just files. Normally, if a configuration has an interactive menu-type system to change configuration, you can also just edit the configuration file, although often you have to restart the application to get it to reread the file.
Configuration is a type of appdata. Linux stores all of it (the user-specific stuff) in $HOME/.config/, usually. and sometimes $HOME/.cache/ (equivalent to localappdata).
Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #42
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Configuration is a type of appdata. ...
True, but as its name implies it is for applications and NOT for Windows itself. The vast bulk of the Windows OS level configuration is in the Registry.

Back in the day when I worked for the old Macromedia, I has a set of INF files to reconfigure new Windows installations. I very frequently had to setup a new OS installation and these made the core of personalizing the installation nearly painless.

I've not built one in recent years, but they can easily be created.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote