Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #241
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
as i've mentioned, the only thing i'm not happy with is the punctuation marks appearing at the first column.
I've looked into this and it appears that's because the Coolreader engine just considers Chinese text as one long word. The same would happen if you used Latin characters without any space in it.

I'll try some time if I can add a proper line breaking to these kind of texts.

Quote:
Lately, however, i've problem changing the "Fallback font face". i'm stuck at page 2 of the selection and can't go to page 1 to select other fonts. whenever i tried to go to page 1, the programme will close. not sure if it's because of incompatible issue with other apps i've installed.
The only thing I can think of is that there's a font that lets the program crash with Amazon's own freetype library. Although this would be the first report about a font that let it crash when trying to render text with it.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #242
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
I've looked into this and it appears that's because the Coolreader engine just considers Chinese text as one long word. The same would happen if you used Latin characters without any space in it.

I'll try some time if I can add a proper line breaking to these kind of texts.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a font that lets the program crash with Amazon's own freetype library. Although this would be the first report about a font that let it crash when trying to render text with it.
i'll be most grateful if you can solve the punctuation problem

as in English or other languages, there are certain rules concerning layout. Here are the ones for Chinese text for your reference:

punctuations that should not start a line:
Code:
!),.:;?]}¨·ˇˉ―‖’”…∶、。〃々〉》」』】〕〗!"'),.:;?]`|}~¢
punctuations that should not end a line:
Code:
([{·‘“〈《「『【〔〖(.[{£¥
as for crashing of the program, i think i know the reason. i've copied the improved Caecilia font from Amazon to /mnt/us/fonts and has left the original Caecilia font untouched. i did a ;fc-cache and have no problem using the improved font, but i suppose it caused the hackedupreader to crash when i tried to change the font settings.

Edit: i confirm that the crash was caused by the Caecilia font in /mnt/us/fonts. once i removed it, everything became normal.

Last edited by yiming; 11-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #243
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
i'm using bhaak's Hacked Up Reader version 0.2.1, and varnie's HackedUpReader Launcher. i didn't install the freetype library.

i find the font rendering satisfactory, here's a screen capture, the font used is xHei:

Attachment 96540

as i've mentioned, the only thing i'm not happy with is the punctuation marks appearing at the first column.

btw, let me correct what i've said in that last posting. for text file, you need not set "Preformatted text" to Off. and for epub, you don't have to set "Document embedded styles" to off. it seems that the most important setting is "Fallback font face". as long as you set it to a Chinese font, you should have no problem reading epub, text or mobi books.

Lately, however, i've problem changing the "Fallback font face". i'm stuck at page 2 of the selection and can't go to page 1 to select other fonts. whenever i tried to go to page 1, the programme will close. not sure if it's because of incompatible issue with other apps i've installed.
The HackedUpReader works well after I installed four Chinese fonts to the system. Just select the Chinese font from the menu and it will display correctly. But it seems to be unable to show Chinese book title of txt files. Just ????.txt. Maybe I need to change some of the settings you mention above. But reading Chinese epub now is a enjoyment. I don't have to envy Nook users for their epub support anymore. Thank you very much.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #244
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Update 2013-02-01: This version is outdated, use the new version in the normal installation package.

I found a way to start HackedUpReader from the home screen. This is currently experimental but especially for PW users I think this is better than nothing.

You have to install and execute the files manually but in a future release this will happen automatically.

Download the two attached files onto your K5 device and rename them to "policy.sh" and "HackedUpReaderKindlet.azw2". Put the HackedUpReaderKindlet.azw2 into your /mnt/us/documents/ directory.

Execute the policy.sh script (sh policy.sh) and restart your device or restart the framework.

You should see now a document named "HackedUpReader" on the home screen with a "Dev" marker. Opening it will start HackedUpReader.

There are some drawbacks:
1. when the devices suspends, HackedUpReader gets stopped too and will be restarted when the device is woken up again
2. HackedUpReader doesn't save the current reading position when it gets closed because of a suspend or press of the home button (I already have a fix for that but this will need a new release of HackedUpReader)
Attached Files
File Type: zip HackedUpReaderKindlet.azw2.zip (22.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: txt policy.sh.txt (940 Bytes, 346 views)

Last edited by bhaak; 02-01-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #245
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Hi there!!!
I would like to thank you all for Hacked Up Reader!

I used Hacked Up Reader since it first appeared here, but I'm having problems only now.
I updated my Touch to 5.3.2 and I'm using the Unified launcher but I can't start HUR...

I'm using the 0.3.1 version and I think the problem is not related to the launcher as I get the same error when using SSH. Here's the output:

Code:
/mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3
*** glibc detected *** /mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3: free(): invalid pointer: 0x0024c8ec ***
Aborted

Here's the strange...I installed HUR again and I tried again with the launcher: it worked fine.
I closed HUR using the built-in command in the menu then I tried again to run HUR: nothing happens!
If I run it using SSH, I get the error stated above!

Thanks for your help!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #246
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I used Hacked Up Reader since it first appeared here, but I'm having problems only now.
I updated my Touch to 5.3.2 and I'm using the Unified launcher but I can't start HUR...

I'm using the 0.3.1 version and I think the problem is not related to the launcher as I get the same error when using SSH. Here's the output:

Code:
/mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3
*** glibc detected *** /mnt/us/hackedupreader/bin/cr3: free(): invalid pointer: 0x0024c8ec ***
Aborted

Here's the strange...I installed HUR again and I tried again with the launcher: it worked fine.
I closed HUR using the built-in command in the menu then I tried again to run HUR: nothing happens!
If I run it using SSH, I get the error stated above!
Are you sure you closed it from within HUR with the exit command? Because the behavior you're seeing is the same as when there's an instance of HUR hanging around even though you're back to the home screen.

You can verify and kill such a process by doing the following on the command line (a reset would also fix it):

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ps -e | grep cr3
 1634 ?        00:00:00 cr3
[root@kindle root]# kill -9 1634
[root@kindle root]# ps -e | grep cr3
[root@kindle root]#
I'm still on 5.1.2 (I'm not yet ready to give up on the GUI launcher extension). The launcher extension that comes with HUR doesn't work with the unified launcher but varnie's HUR launcher does:
https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpRe...cher/downloads

Are you using the latest version (0.0.3) of unified launcher? I tried that on 5.1.2 and it seems to work better than the first version. I couldn't get HUR to accidently stay in the background. This was easily done with the earlier versions of the unified launcher.

Last edited by bhaak; 01-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #247
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't check if there is an old instance of HUR running (I don't have the kindle here), but I always use the correct procedure to close HUR!

BTW, I use the plain launcher extension that just runs cr3 with the unified launcher v0.2!
It used to work really fine when I was using the unified launcher v0.2 on 5.1.2 firmware. On 5.3.2 I get the error stated above (even if just running HUR from the terminal).

I'll try with the v0.3 of the launcher!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #248
silver18
THE NOOB

Ok, I made some tests with unified launcher 0.2 and 0.3.

Unified launcher v0.2:
HUR runs fine as long as "close application" actually kills HUR. I tried 5 times and it managed to kill HUR 2 times (I had to manually kill cr3)

Unified launcher v0.3:
the problem seems to be solved.
BTW, I still had that problem once or twice.

It a weird thing as it seems to be intermittent (and it isn't a PEBKAC!).
Anyway, it's 90% solved!
Thanks!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #249
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

bhaak, by the way, there's another way to run HUR on the fresh KT firmware.
I explained it here: link
HTH.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #250
bhaak
Groupie

@silver18: You are right, I have experienced it now, too. Quite rarely, but it does happen. It seems that either the launcher code (although I can't see what's could be wrong with it) or Amazon's framework code is flaky or something the way the windows are managed is under some race conditions (IMO seems to be the most likely cause).

It looks as if the home screen gets raised or shown when HUR's windows should be shown and then HUR just runs in the background. As the old version just quits when it sees another running instance, you can't do anything besides killing it manually or resetting the device.

I've changed the code so that when a running HUR instance is detected, it will get killed so this shouldn't be a problem after the next release.

@varnie: Yes, I've seen that already and that's what prompted me to try out the thing in my posting from Dec, 9.: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=244

The unified launcher, touchrunner and my attempt essentially do the same thing: implementing a Kindlet that starts a configurable or specific command. I'll try to fix up some loose ends so I can include such a document in the installation package in the next few days.

BTW, I will also include your launcher in the Kindle installation package, so there should be lots of options to start up HUR on any supported device.

Last edited by bhaak; 01-28-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #251
flashmozzg
Enthusiast
flashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheeseflashmozzg can extract oil from cheese

Is it possible to switch from search entries? I mean I can only see 1st one, and can't go to the next apperance of the word I searched.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #252
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
Is it possible to switch from search entries? I mean I can only see 1st one, and can't go to the next apperance of the word I searched.
Not yet but I think it should be possible to implement some sort of navigation. I note this as a feature request.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #253
bhaak
Groupie

Lightbulb New release 0.4.0!

New release 0.4.0!

This is a maintenance release, without functional improvements, mostly for improved compatibility with the new Kindle firmwares and the Unified Applications Launcher.

Changes:
  • New stand alone launcher by Kindlet document
  • Varnie's HackedUpReaderLauncher extension bundled
  • Prevent multiple instances running concurrently

Varnie's launcher extension and the new Kindlet launcher are only in the zip file which contains the standard Kindle update package.

http://bhaak.net/kindle/hackedupreader_0.4.0.zip
http://bhaak.net/kindle/hackedupreader-0.4.0.tar.gz

Last edited by bhaak; 04-17-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: domain name link update
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #254
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Version Checked.

Works great. I think I would possibly do a split in the name just to keep it tidy for the kindlet. (or a picture version perhaps)

Nice work. Haven't got it to "hang" yet.

Will update readme. thanks for your work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_064.png
Views:	674
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	100468  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #255
bhaak
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Works great. I think I would possibly do a split in the name just to keep it tidy for the kindlet. (or a picture version perhaps)
This is the new cover view of 5.3.x? I'm still on 5.1.2 (there it looks fine), so I couldn't test it on 5.3.2. But this is very Amazon-like, to use a BIG font for the default cover which will be a problem for many titles if they don't provide a proper cover (decent defaults are really not one of their strong points).

I wouldn't mind if somebody would do a cover image for that launcher kindlet, something like an axe hacking down the kindle tree (preferably without the boy, I find that kid creepy).

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons