Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Wade Anastasia Jere's books

5,000 titles in less than two years. Are botBooks the new spam?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No reaction?
Try and make a search at Amazon or B&N.
Amazon US will give you 2,000+ titles, the highest at $104
B&N gives you more than 6,000 hits,
Amazon UK approx 1,400 titles.
Everything is just ripped of Wikipedia.
Including external links.
In other words we now have bots trying to sell us books. From PD material.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I still remember one of the more obvious aggregator fails- it tried to aggregate the Bioshock wiki, and ended up having the front page being an Error 404 message. That was funny.

On a more serious note, I'm surprised Amazon and the others haven't started banning aggregator books the way Smashwords and other sources do.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ohh, so this isn't anything new?
I did a search for a title and this Anastasia Jere came up, never heard about her so I clicked on the name and suddenly got thousands of books. Even a prolific writer probably doesn't produce more than 150 books over a career, so I was just flabbergasted.
I can see how people who aren't careful may buy something like this. I'm surprised Amazon and B&N let them sell on their sites. If I bought something like this and then discovered what a scam it is, I would probably blame the seller for not having better quality control.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ohh, so this isn't anything new?
Well, it isn't to me. I've seen mention of them off and on for several years now. The Bioshock failure was about two years ago IIRC, well before I was on MR.
Quote:
I did a search for a title and this Anastasia Jere came up, never heard about her so I clicked on the name and suddenly got thousands of books. Even a prolific writer probably doesn't produce more than 150 books over a career, so I was just flabbergasted.
I can see how people who aren't careful may buy something like this. I'm surprised Amazon and B&N let them sell on their sites. If I bought something like this and then discovered what a scam it is, I would probably blame the seller for not having better quality control.
Agreed. Like I said, Smashwords (and I'm pretty sure BookieJar as well) both outlaw aggregator works, so finding out that the big boys don't, is a bit of a surprise.

Edit: I just noticed that some of his books have a "Books for Africa" logo. Maybe the Nigerian banker's widow found a new way to scam people?

Last edited by teh603; 09-16-2012 at 10:00 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
When I do a search on that name on Amazon, I only get paperbacks, not Kindle versions. Are you seeing Kindle versions in your country?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

No. No Kindle versions only like some thousands of thousands of $20+ paperbacks.