Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Unglue.it has launched

Unglue.it is a new "ebook crowdfunding platform". I think this model could work for some books... it's a pretty interesting thing to keep an eye on.

From this article on LibraryJournal
Quote:
Unglue.it works by allowing the rights holders of an already-published book to set a funding threshold—generally between $5,000 to $25,000—and a deadline for a funding campaign. If supporters pledge sufficient funding prior to the campaign deadline, the book will be released as an “unglued” ebook edition, free of digital rights management (DRM) software, and free to copy and share under a Creative Commons license.
The first 5 books are:
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabc View Post
Unglue.it is a new "ebook crowdfunding platform". I think this model could work for some books... it's a pretty interesting thing to keep an eye on.

From this article on LibraryJournal

The first 5 books are:
Is this a co-op form where the people that can buy without DRM or get free belong to the "supporting contributors" or can anyone benefit without making a contribution? i.e. without supporting.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Sorry, but I first read that as an

ebook confounding platform.

....maybe they need to change the name....or I need more coffee.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not at all sure why any author would want to go for this deal: it seems to be essentially a one-off payment, in return for unrestricted distribution of the book (ie, no subsequent income from it). Have I misunderstood?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not at all sure why any author would want to go for this deal: it seems to be essentially a one-off payment, in return for unrestricted distribution of the book (ie, no subsequent income from it). Have I misunderstood?
That's what I'm wondering about. At first it looked like Kickstarter, but the GPL requirement is a little odd.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
I'm not too sure about all the details, but from what I get:
-If a campaign is successful, the book will be released under a CC license and anyone will be able to get it for free. I think the license is mainly for the non-commercial, non-derivative rights. (some info on their FAQ here)
They also say that this doesn't mean that the rights holder can't make money for the book, selling other print or ebook editions. I guess it just means that there will also be an unglued edition out there. (there's more about this here)
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Ummmm..........

So it's more a philanthropic approach ?
If you pledge a sum - say $50, I presume it's whatever you think it's worth or what you can afford? - that goes into the pot, and if enough money's raised from all the others who may want to pledge, the author throws the doors open to the ereader world.
For free ?

So the "pledgers" ( or philanthropic investors I suppose they'd be) get a copy of the book and a warm feeling ?

Or have I misunderstood the whole thing....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's nothing in Creative Commons that prohibits future income from it, but it will make it more unlikely. The appeal, I suspect, would be for those who don't expect to ever be paid for a particular work again anyway.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
There's nothing in Creative Commons that prohibits future income from it, but it will make it more unlikely. The appeal, I suspect, would be for those who don't expect to ever be paid for a particular work again anyway.
Not to mention, if it proved really really popular, they could release a revised edition. Or perhaps annotated one - Louis L'amour did that latter when some of his PD books were published by other companies, he put out official versions with notes (and a long rant about the other publishers)

But realistically, unless you are a best selling author, I think $25,000 for a back list title is more than they would make from residual sales.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think it would be a useful way to let an author know how many people are interested in having a back list title as an ebook.

Without this show of support, they might not be sure about incurring the costs to release it as an ebook.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Jnassise
Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Sony Reader
As an author who's book (Riverwatch) is one of the initial five offerings for Unglue,it, I thought I'd stop by and add my two cents.

I see unglue.it as a way of giving something to the reading community that has supported my work for the last ten years, while at the same time earning some additional income for my creative efforts. It is not the LAST income I hope to earn with this particular title (as was suggested up thread) just one more piece of the puzzle to add to the initial rights sale and subsequent foreign sales.

In terms of how the financial goal for the campaign was derived at, I simply took what I earn from the work on a monthly basis from the various ebook distributors I've involved with and multiplied it by 60 - that would give me the income I could hope to earn off the work if nothing changed in the market. This is actually short circuiting myself a little bit, as I expected ebook sales to increase with time not decrease, but it was the most reasonable solution I could come up with.

Best,
Joe Nassise
Jnassise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, best of luck, Joe, but I have to say that I'll be astounded if you reach your funding goal. May I ask, as a matter of interest, how much of it you've had pledged so far?

EDIT: Never mind - I see you've had $358 pledged from 20 people.

Now here's what I don't understand, you see. Looking at Amazon.com I see that I can buy your fine book for the very reasonable sum of $6.27. Given that I can buy it for $6.27, why would I wish to pledge $17.90 for it (the average amount that each of these 20 people have pledged) on this "unglue.it" site? That's almost 3x what it would cost me to buy a copy. What would I get for my $17.90 that I can't get by buying the book for $6.27? Sorry - I'm obviously missing something here. What is it?

Last edited by HarryT; 05-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Jnassise
Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Jnassise can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Sony Reader
Great question, Harry.

As I've said, the whole process is an experiment to me. I'm interested in a number of factors, not just reaching that end goal. (Of course, hitting that goal IS important, don't get me wrong.)

Going into this, my expectation was that the average individual would pledge anywhere from $1-5. After all, that's what the book is selling for elsewhere. This edition will be an enhanced one - deleted scenes, information on the writing process itself, an inside look at the sequel, etc. So the pledge would be getting MORE than what they could buy elsewhere for the same price.

Right now, the average pledge is higher because there are fewer people pledging. That average should go down as the number go up, unless people begin to pledge the higher categories in order to get the premiums that go with them.

I think most pledgers are doing so first because they believe in the concept of making good books freely available and second because of related perks/premiums.

Best,
Joe
Jnassise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Joe.

Tags
unglue.it