Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I concur!
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #92
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Perhaps an "Award for Bookish Delights"?

Last edited by pshrynk; 06-17-2008 at 10:35 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #93
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Badges... how do special-purpose achievement badges sound?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #94
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm already first in line for a Top Secret Captain Midnight Decoder Badge for a project they're working on.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #95
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
On Karma

Wow, I was under the impression the karma button was for those who were especially helpful and kind on this site. I"ve given Karma to people who answered my questions, or welcomed me warmly, because I thought thats what you were supposed to do. Didn't realize it was meant for certain people. Those who post/upload books, and keep this site running are obviously more than worthy also, will try to remember to 'karma' them. Altho, by their actions, they are already on the fast track to paradise......whatever that may be to them. So someone explain......what is the criteria for giving Karma? I will try to follow the rules so as not to cause such dissension..this site is way to valuable to have little nit picky wars like this.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #96
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks, Alexander. I'd love any change in the system that would let us acknowledge and support the worker bees of the forum (you, the mods, several helpful others) and still let us give hugs and kisses, if you like, to those that make us giggle. I come here to give and get info, help, and giggles and I think most people do.

I was counting the seconds until someone posted it but I will: We don't need no steeeenking badges! (that's just a joke, see)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #97
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Can we all try to relax and unwind for a moment? Thank you. First of all, I understand and care about this issue. So I promise I will try my best to work on a solution that everyone could agree on.

On the one hand, we have hard-core members who spend a lot of time and energy actively contributing to our community. For example, our e-book section is only a little over a year old; yet it's been immensely successful and steadily growing thanks to those members who have been so meticulously converting, formatting and sharing with us some of the most outstanding literary works. These members have earned our utmost respect, and it's only natural that we'd like to portray this respect in form of giving them Karma.

On the other hand, we have a growing community where members with an exceptionally diverse set of skills and interest love to hang out and have fun. This is wonderful, and I am very proud of this! I personally find many of the so-called off-topic posts relaxing and refreshing, and certainly I don't want to miss a single one of them. If giving each other Karma turned into some kind of sport, then, at least for me, this is one way of judging how positive and successful our community has become.

So the dilemma is that our Karma system currently serves different purposes.

I propose: We add another award system to specifically honor members with special achievements in our community. This system would go along with Karma points and neither would affect the other.

Before I continue contemplating this solution, I would like to hear your constructive comments. But please, before anything else, let's stop with the accusations and be nice to each other again.

Thanks again!

Alex
aw alex, we'd be nothing without you. thanks for being so indefatigably friendly and level-headed, and most of all for making this wonderful site where we all can be helpful / informative / curious / novices without fear of scorn / silly / absurd / squirrelly. you deserve more completely un-ironic karma than anyone, willy-nilly or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Badges... how do special-purpose achievement badges sound?
i like that idea ! they could be little icons with different meanings (explained using title tags), like the ICQ icons. we could have a whole set of them, or different levels, like badges plus stars for marking milestones. take a look at some of the member profiles on the site iconbuffet.com if you want a concrete example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm already first in line for a Top Secret Captain Midnight Decoder Badge for a project they're working on.
yeah, but don't forget i'm first in line to play with it, when you get it ! (and what about my Top Secret Decoder Ring ??)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #98
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I was counting the seconds until someone posted it but I will: We don't need no steeeenking badges! (that's just a joke, see)
damn ! you beat me to it...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #99
pshrynk

Ahem. The proper quote is: "BADGES! We don't need no steenking bagdes!"
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #100
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"I propose: We add another award system to specifically honor members with special achievements in our community. This system would go along with Karma points and neither would affect the other."

Cool! "Superstar" "Friendliest" "Most Helpful"

Last edited by desertgrandma; 06-17-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot the quotation marks
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #101
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I propose: We add another award system to specifically honor members with special achievements in our community. This system would go along with Karma points and neither would affect the other.

Before I continue contemplating this solution, I would like to hear your constructive comments. But please, before anything else, let's stop with the accusations and be nice to each other again.
All this sounds great to me. Along with recognizing people who have uploaded large numbers of books, I'd like to be sure to recognize people who have contributed software development to the various device-specific communities. My iLiad is tremendously more useful to me because of those folks, and while I have no problem with giving karma to members for helpful or entertaining posts, I'd like to see some specific recognition for some of these more "serious" efforts.

Regarding the "smiley controversy," I guess I've already indicated in this post where I fall on the spectrum between "Smilies are the rot of all evil" and "posts should consist primarily of smilies." I would add that I find the popcorn smilies invaluable as a humorous way to remind participants that we've seen plenty of certain topics (i.e. DRM) before. I do appreciate that the members here often write at a level that helps considerably in interpreting meaning, but sometimes I think the smilies still help.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

i agree neko-chan, it would be excellent to distinguish valorous coders, bookmakers, and other gourous specifically for their inestimable contributions.

not that i'm saying we have to do exactly like them, but here are a couple of examples of some of the iconbuffet badges. on the 2nd photo you can see the tooltip which is visible when you hover over a badge. each badge is for a different milestone. there are dozens, and more are added regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badges1.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	13615   Click image for larger version

Name:	badges2+tooltip.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	13616  
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #103
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
My take on this is that karma is nice to receive (and give). I wouldn't want it removed altogether nor abused so that it is becomes meaningless.

In my case, I do what I do, not for the karma, but because I want to do it. Period!

I don't view this as a competition of sorts to see who has the most karma points, though if there was a line where 'free karma' was being offered, I know where I would stand! That's human nature.

It is nice to reward each other for our various special gifts and talents. Case in point, I have never enjoyed nor laughed so hard than while reading some of the threads in the Lounge. Really, VR's avatar switching escapade was priceless - I'm sorry you missed it HarryT. I've already publically stated that the best karma I've given was to Taylor514ce and that I think that zelda_pinwheel is a catalyst that sets Mobileread afire! All truly worthy of the karma given!

Though some might argue we need to restore some balance, I don't view what has already transpired as a "negative" occurence. In fact, the antics here are part of the reason I frequent this ebook community.

And a heart felt thanks, to all who have "lightened us up" as well as "enlightened us"!

p.s. a smiley free message!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #104
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, alls I's saying is: I have a daily allotment of karma to give, and I try to give it out until the limit cuts me off.

I give it for selfish reasons: It makes me feel good to send a little "Thanks!" or "You made me smile" or "I'm thinking of you today" memo to fellow MRers.

I don't have much else to offer in the way of helping, so if a little karma encourages someone else who is working hard for the cause, then I'm satisfied.

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #105
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
not that i'm saying we have to do exactly like them, but here are a couple of examples of some of the iconbuffet badges. on the 2nd photo you can see the tooltip which is visible when you hover over a badge. each badge is for a different milestone. there are dozens, and more are added regularly.
I like them!!!!!!!!! Could we use them?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
focking, lefty