Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
LucasJ98
LucasJ98 began at the beginning.

Device: none
PocketBook 628 Touch Lux 5 vs Kobo Clara HD

Hi, I'd like to buy my first e-book reader. After a long search time, I can't decide between two (three) readers. Between Kobo Clara HD and PocketBook 628 Touch Lux 5 (and Amazon Kindle paperwhite 4 10.gen - this is hardly available in my country).

My eBook Reader Requirements:
  • possible reading even at night
  • price up to 120 - 150 €
  • 6 inch display

Thanks for help.
LucasJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasJ98 View Post
Hi, I'd like to buy my first e-book reader. After a long search time, I can't decide between two (three) readers. Between Kobo Clara HD and PocketBook 628 Touch Lux 5 (and Amazon Kindle paperwhite 4 10.gen - this is hardly available in my country). ...
I don't own any of these of these readers, but I do own a Paperwhite 3 and a Tolino Shine 3 (which is basically a Clara HD hardware clone) and now I own a PocketBook HD3. I'm going to concentrate on the Kobo vs PocketBook part because I've heard (but have no direct knowledge) that the Paperwhite 4's screen is less clear than the earlier Paperwhites.

The Kobo is more customizable in a few ways — fonts have very many size choices (PocketBook is no slouch here either), but the Kobo adds something the PocketBook doesn't have, multiple choices in the boldness of the font. This isn't a major issue for me, since I use the Constantia font and it works well of on both readers (both can take custom fonts). If you're in a country where Kobo supports a direct connection to Overdrive (for borrowing books), Kobo's integration is better (though you can borrow from Overdrive directly on the PockeBook by using its browser — it even saves the login and you can bookmark your Overdrive account). Kobo supports Pocket (the browser clipping service.) Both allow you to store your books in the Cloud, both have Android and iOS applications (the PocketBook one is really good, though I don't read on Android on phones or tablets), both will sync over the Cloud between readers and the Android/iOS applications. Apparently Kobo works better with Calibre integration, though both work fine for sending books to and from Calibre (I don't use any complicated Calibre schemes with any of my readers, so I have to take others' words for this.)

Why I (personally) like the PocketBook firmware better. Mostly because it comes down to built-in ADE — I use Linux and don't have ADE on my computer. I can buy books (including those protected with DRM) from anywhere that sells ePubs. You can do the same with the Kobos but, since the Clara HD doesn't have ADE built-in, it requires your computer to be able to run ADE and you can't directly download these books to the device. The PocketBook also allows multiple ADE accounts. It also has built-in Drobox support (something I think only the Kobo Forma has) — I've never used this. It also has Send-to-PocketBook, which allows you to buy an ePub from a bookstore on your computer or phone or tablet, download the ascm file, and send that file directly to your device. I use this regularly. (Again, the reason the PocketBook is able to do this is because it has ADE built-in.) The PocketBook will allow you to choose between standard page number (the same page number across books) or page by screen numbering. The Kobo does ePub page numbering on ePubs and per screen numbering on KePubs. I'm not a fan of the page per screen numbering (which changes depending on margins and font sizes) but some like it better. I also like the way PocketBook handles full screen a little better.

As mentioned at the beginning, I don't own either of these readers, but the Clara HD has these advantages over the Touch Lux 5. It has a 300 dpi screen compared to the Touch Lux 5's 212 dpi screen. I don't know how important that is to you, but it does make a difference. Also the lighting is better on the Clara HD (I assume, since it has 13 LEDs — seven white and six amber) compared to the Touch Lux's eight total All other readers I've seen with the "warm" lighting have white LEDs on the edges and this is the main reason I didn't get the Touch Lux 5 (and went with the more expensive HD 3, which has thirteen LEDs like the Clara HD). Some folks have mentioned that this makes the one edge "less even" and I don't understand why they went this way. The PocketBook has the advantage of page turn buttons (which I like) — you can turn the touch screen off if you want. Both are about the same weight (the PocketBook slightly lighter) and size, the PocketBook a little taller because of the buttons. The PocketBook has a dual-core processor and a microSD slot, so in that respect it's more advanced. The PocketBook can use more formats.

That's about it. Sorry to ramble. The Clara HD (in some ways) compares more directly with HD3 (especially in regards to the screen). Personally I think both are a little too small for comfortable holding. I kind of like the old PocketBook style for holding. But that's a small issue. I'll just look into a bit bulkier case.

I think both are good choices. I prefer the way both the PocketBook and Kobo render fonts over the way the Kindles do it.

Good luck.

EDIT: One more thing I should add. Apparently there is no sleep cover option for the PocketBooks. So, if just opening the cover of your case is important to you, the Clara HD as the advantage (unless I'm mistaken about the PocketBook). Also, the power button on the PocketBook is small, semi-recessed and kind of a pain to get to (especially in the dark).

EDIT 2: I was wrong about the sleep cover. I now own a PocketBook sleep cover. I had forgotten I had written this post.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
j0r13n
Enthusiast
j0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura about

To me the Kobo vs PocketBook seems a bit like IOS vs Android; if you like a great out of the box user experience and a more closed system then get the Kobo. If you like to be more in control then get the Pocketbook. That's my 2 cents after 2 kobo's and 2 PocketBooks. The last has my personal preference when combined with the easy to implement Cool Reader. I just bought a new PocketBook because of this 'feature', regardless of the higher resolution of the Kobo. Also the black finish is less shimmery in direct sunlight.

Furthermore, the PocketBook Touch Lux 5 has 15 LEDs (8 white and 7 amber) and PocketBook does support sleep covers for a long time now.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either!
j0r13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:43 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0r13n View Post
To me the Kobo vs PocketBook seems a bit like IOS vs Android; if you like a great out of the box user experience and a more closed system then get the Kobo. If you like to be more in control then get the Pocketbook. That's my 2 cents after 2 kobo's and 2 PocketBooks. The last has my personal preference when combined with the easy to implement Cool Reader. I just bought a new PocketBook because of this 'feature', regardless of the higher resolution of the Kobo. Also the black finish is less shimmery in direct sunlight.

Furthermore, the PocketBook Touch Lux 5 has 15 LEDs (8 white and 7 amber) and PocketBook does support sleep covers for a long time now.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either!
Kobo is in no way a closed system. You can customize, patch and install alternate reading apps (KOReader, Plato) to your heart's content. Also manage your books and collections automatically with Calibre. In fact, Kobo is one of the most open and customizable readers out there.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:50 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If that's true, that makes the Touch Lux 5 lighting extremely impressive for the price. I had read somewhere else that the TL 5 had 8 LEDs -- an even number of white and amber which was kind of odd. Maybe they've upgraded the screen?

As for the direct comparison between the TL5 and Clara, the Clara does have 300 dpi vs 212 dpi screen.
Advert
Old 01-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo is in no way a closed system. You can customize, patch and install alternate reading apps (KOReader, Plato) to your heart's content. Also manage your books and collections automatically with Calibre. In fact, Kobo is one of the most open and customizable readers out there.
It's closed by comparison, because the only place you can directly buy and download DRM ePubs for a Kobo is via Kobo. The PocketBooks, on the other hand, can use DRM ePubs from anywhere and you can download them directly via your PocketBook device (using the browser). You can also buy a book via your smartphone or computer and use "Send-to-PocketBook" to your device via email. Since PocketBooks have ADE built-in, you have more immediate (on device) choices, without the need for a computer with ADE installed.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:16 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's closed by comparison, because the only place you can directly buy and download DRM ePubs for a Kobo is via Kobo. The PocketBooks, on the other hand, can use DRM ePubs from anywhere and you can download them directly via your PocketBook device (using the browser). You can also buy a book via your smartphone or computer and use "Send-to-PocketBook" to your device via email. Since PocketBooks have ADE built-in, you have more immediate (on device) choices, without the need for a computer with ADE installed.
That's not what is usually meant by "closed". After all, the overwhelming majority uses Windows or MacOS and so are perfectly able to install ADE and buy epubs from anywhere. Pocketbooks may be more flexible in that regard, but I've never heard Kobo called a "closed system" before, even in comparison.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:16 AM   #8
j0r13n
Enthusiast
j0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura aboutj0r13n has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I've never heard Kobo called a "closed system" before
Neither have I. Just said it's a more closed system in regard to the PocketBook. If you try to install Cool Reader for instance, I think it's really way more easier for a novice user on the PocketBook. Also the intgration is nicer (to me). That said, you can 'adjust' a Kobo maybe even more than a PocketBook as it has a larger community but - again IMO - not as easy as the PocketBook.

Picture of the Pocketbook Touch Lux 5 LEDs:

https://postimg.cc/nsjz4R4z
j0r13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Picture of the Pocketbook Touch Lux 5 LEDs:

https://postimg.cc/nsjz4R4z
That's impressive. (Thanks for the image.) The HD 3 has 13 LEDs, 7 white and 6 amber. I guess I misunderstood when someone mentioned that the TL5 had eight LEDs (I assumed that was the total number, not the number of white LEDs.)

Last edited by rcentros; 02-01-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's not what is usually meant by "closed". After all, the overwhelming majority uses Windows or MacOS and so are perfectly able to install ADE and buy epubs from anywhere. Pocketbooks may be more flexible in that regard, but I've never heard Kobo called a "closed system" before, even in comparison.
I guess, from my point of view, that's what it meant to me because I couldn't run ADE in Linux — so the only DRM ePubs I could get into my Kobos were Kobo's own KePubs. That's changed now that the DeASCM plugin is available for Calibre. But still it's (slightly) easier with the PocketBook (and Tolino).

Last edited by rcentros; 02-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:55 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I don't own any of these of these readers...
Quote:

Anyway, I would recommend the Kobo over the Pocketbook just for the better screen.

A better comparison to the Clara is the HD3.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:42 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Quote:
Originally posted by rcentros
I don't own any of these readers...

My quote (above) came from a message posted almost exactly a year ago, a week (or so) after I received my PB Touch HD 3, and months before buying the Clara.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-02-2022 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #13
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
I have them both. I like my ruby red Touch Lux 5 cause of the different color to usually black devices but would recommend the Kobo Clara HD. Kobo Clara HD has 300 ppi vs. 212 ppi by Touch Lux 5.
If you want to read with Standard Software out of the box, in my opinion this is another PRO for the Clara HD, KOBOs Software offers more setting options.

I don’t know where you are located, right now there is a special offer for KOBO Clara HD 89,99 $. Kobo Clara HD - 89,99 $
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:33 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My quote (above) came from a message posted almost exactly a year ago, a week (or so) after I received my PB Touch HD 3, and months before buying the Clara.
Details... Details...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:44 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Details... Details...
Darned things.

This is a "revived" thread.