Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #61
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Calibre saves plain old mobi (KF7) as mobi
Calibre saves dual old mobi (KF7 + KF8) as mobi
I think Calibre saves KF8 (newer Mobi) as azw3
AFAIK, "dual old mobi" is an oxymoron. There is no dual old mobi (do you mean KF8?); in Calibre, that's AZW or AZW3, whichever is Calibre's versus KDP's. (I can never remember. Yes, it's peculiar, what can I say?).

There is, even to this day, Old MOBI/KF7, or Dual MOBI (AZW-whatever) for Calibre. Now, if you mean a MOBI made by someone else, a "KF8" mobi, then yes, you can have a file with dual interior files with the file extension of MOBI.

It's unclear to me if we mean "files from anywhere," or "files made by Calibre," so...that's my clarification. IF files made somewhere else, by somebody else, are included in the discussion, then yes, there are 3 possibilities in the MOBI family.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #62
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I do not know of any automated way to do that.

One manual method to do it one book at a time is to use the KindleUnpack plugin to see what is inside the MOBI format. If it produces a "mobi7" folder containing a "book.html" file then the old format is present. If it produces a "mobi8" folder then the new format is present. Both for both.
Thanks @jhowell it works!!!! As you wrote it's necessary to do that one book at a time :-(

I notice that when I select an OLD or a NEW MOBI ebook the plugin has only a "Unpack MOBI" sub-menu under MOBI menu. When I select a BOTH MOBI ebook there is also a "MOBI->Split KF8/MOBI..." sub-menu always under MOBI menu. KindleUnpack recognizes a BOTH version "before" unpack it...

Perhaps by asking @DiapDealer in the "[GUI Plugin] KindleUnpack - The Plugin" thread....

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
AFAIK, "dual old mobi" is an oxymoron. There is no dual old mobi (do you mean KF8?); in Calibre, that's AZW or AZW3, whichever is Calibre's versus KDP's. (I can never remember. Yes, it's peculiar, what can I say?).
Sorry for being confusing. The Dual mobi of Calibre seems to be old mobi (KF7) + KF8. I've not checked to see are the images only included once. It's saved with .mobi file ending. A KF8 only version is saved as azw3

Amazon has more kinds of mobi as there is a fixed layout that seems to be more based on PDF than HTML3. Calibre doesn't make it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #64
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
MOBI: Based on HTML 3. Can be emailed or sideloaded. Will sync annotations and reading position across devices if emailed. Will show a cover thumbnail on Kindle devices. Some complex formatting may be lost during conversion to this format.
Hi,
below the results of I little test that I made. I have a MOBI ebook not converted with Calibre. If I sideload it via emai, Kindle shows a cover thumbnail only in "Home" page/view. It's not show cover either in "Library" page/view or in context menu that appears if I long press on the ebook cover

The same ebook converted with Calibre (MOBI to MOBI) shows correctly the cover thumbnail in all situations if I sideload it via email

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 11 with fw 5.14.2

Stefano
Old 02-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.sb View Post
Hi,
below the results of I little test that I made. I have a MOBI ebook not converted with Calibre. If I sideload it via emai, Kindle shows a cover thumbnail only in "Home" page/view. It's not show cover either in "Library" page/view or in context menu that appears if I long press on the ebook cover

The same ebook converted with Calibre (MOBI to MOBI) shows correctly the cover thumbnail in all situations if I sideload it via email

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 11 with fw 5.14.2

Stefano
Stefano?

You forgot the results?

Hitch
Advert
Old 02-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #66
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Stefano?

You forgot the results?

Hitch
No... these are the results.... I have found differences in cover thumbnails when I sideload a MOBI ebook not created with Calibre and another created with it:

... If I sideload via emai a MOBI ebook not converted with Calibre, Kindle shows a cover thumbnail only in "Home" page/view. It not show cover either in "Library" page/view or in context menu that appears if I long press on the ebook cover

The same ebook converted with Calibre (MOBI to MOBI) shows correctly the cover thumbnail in all situations when it's sideloaded it via email...

.. only this I know only that both of them are MOBI7 file type

Stefano
Old 02-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
No... these are the results.... I have found differences in cover thumbnails when I sideload a MOBI ebook not created with Calibre and another created with it:

... If I sideload via emai a MOBI ebook not converted with Calibre, Kindle shows a cover thumbnail only in "Home" page/view. It not show cover either in "Library" page/view or in context menu that appears if I long press on the ebook cover

The same ebook converted with Calibre (MOBI to MOBI) shows correctly the cover thumbnail in all situations when it's sideloaded it via email...

.. only this I know only that both of them are MOBI7 file type

Stefano
Calibre dudes:

Isn't this a known thing? That the whole "Calibre doesn't display my cover" is a known behavior? Or am I hallucinating? Doesn't this have to do with the meta delivered by Amazon, for a "book" versus a document or some such?

Stefano, have you researched this at the Calibre users' forum here on MR?

Hitch
Old 02-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I have a MOBI ebook not converted with Calibre. If I sideload it via emai, Kindle shows a cover thumbnail only in "Home" page/view. It's not show cover either in "Library" page/view or in context menu that appears if I long press on the ebook cover
Without knowing more about how you created this MOBI file it is difficult to speculate as to why the cover isn't working.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #69
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Without knowing more about how you created this MOBI file it is difficult to speculate as to why the cover isn't working.
Hi, it's true! I agree with you jhowell! Attached there is a zip file with the two MOBI versions of the same ebook. The one with the file name ending with "NO CALIBRE.mobi" is the version NOT converted with Calibre

What is the difference between the two versions that causes the thumbnail cover not to be displayed?

P.S. It's a free ebook

Thanks

Stefano
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tutti I Pedoni Del Re (8456).zip (832.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #70
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Hi, it's true! I agree with you jhowell! Attached there is a zip file with the two MOBI versions of the same ebook. The one with the file name ending with "NO CALIBRE.mobi" is the version NOT converted with Calibre

What is the difference between the two versions that causes the thumbnail cover not to be displayed?
I took a look at the MOBI files. According to the metadata the non-calibre file was produced using Mobipocket Creator version 4.2 on 2010-03-05.

The reason that file does not work correctly is that the cover image it contains is only 150 x 236 pixels. This is too small for the Kindle to produce a proper thumbnail image of the cover. (I do not know the actual minimum cover size needed. I suspect it varies by Kindle model and firmware.)

The cover in the working MOBI file is 317 x 500 pixels which is large enough to work properly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I took a look at the MOBI files. According to the metadata the non-calibre file was produced using Mobipocket Creator version 4.2 on 2010-03-05.

The reason that file does not work correctly is that the cover image it contains is only 150 x 236 pixels. This is too small for the Kindle to produce a proper thumbnail image of the cover. (I do not know the actual minimum cover size needed. I suspect it varies by Kindle model and firmware.)

The cover in the working MOBI file is 317 x 500 pixels which is large enough to work properly.
WOW, holy crapdoodle! (Crap, is it one of mine??? LOLOL...I don't think I've ever put a cover that small inside an ebook, but...that was a dozen years ago now.)

I'm getting flashbacks here.

Hitch
Old 02-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
WOW, holy crapdoodle! (Crap, is it one of mine??? LOLOL...I don't think I've ever put a cover that small inside an ebook, but...that was a dozen years ago now.)

I'm getting flashbacks here.

Hitch
Maybe the cover is sized for a Blackberry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #73
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:

Thanks jhowell for the answer. The strange thing is that using the no Calibre ebook there is only one situation the thumbnail cover is show by my Kindle. See attached images.

But... it's ok the problem is the cover size

Stefano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	192304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Library.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	192305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long press.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	192306  
Old 02-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #74
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks jhowell for the answer. The strange thing is that using the no Calibre ebook there is only one situation the thumbnail cover is show by my Kindle. See attached images.

But... it's ok the problem is the cover size

Stefano
No...maybe I'm wrong, but isn't one a PDOC (Personal Document) and the other a book?

Hitch
Old 02-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #75
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
No...maybe I'm wrong, but isn't one a PDOC (Personal Document) and the other a book?

Hitch
No, it's the same MOBI ebook (title "Tutti i pedoni del re") that is sideloaded via email to my kindle. It' s not converted with Calibre.

Stefano