Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #136
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
How right you are!

Have you read any other of his works? The only other one I have is The Heart Of A Dog, which I would also recommend.

I went to see Patriarch's Ponds when I was in Russia a few years ago, it's just as you imagine it would be from the book.

There is also a good TV series adaption of M&M that was shown on UK TV (with English subtitles) a few years ago.
While M&M is a fantastic read with a lot of great quotes and insights, The Heart of a Dog belongs perfectly in this thread. It was such a drag. The book is short, but was a painful read. The tone preachy throughout and the point was being sledgehammered home. Bulgakov didn't care for the vulgarity of the communists, which became evident already in the beginning of the book - the rest was superfluous.

Another classic that just might belong here is A Confederacy of Dunces. I didn't laugh once reading it, hardly smiled. Yet it's lauded as a timeless classic at the apex of humorous prose.

I'd rather read Wodehouse.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #137
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

Another classic that just might belong here is A Confederacy of Dunces. I didn't laugh once reading it, hardly smiled. Yet it's lauded as a timeless classic at the apex of humorous prose.

I'd rather read Wodehouse.
Right there with you on both. I’ve thought I should give Confederacy another try just in case “everybody” was right about it; I read it when it came out and I thought that overall it was a snooze. Needed to be shorter, among other things.

Wodehouse is nonpareil.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:14 AM   #138
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh good, I'm glad I needn't bother with Confederacy. However, I am enjoying working my way through Wodehouse.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #139
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Right there with you on both. I’ve thought I should give Confederacy another try just in case “everybody” was right about it; I read it when it came out and I thought that overall it was a snooze. Needed to be shorter, among other things.

Wodehouse is nonpareil.
LeVar Burton's adult book club on Fable is reading Confederacy right now. I love LeVar Burton reads and am a child of the original Reading Rainbow, but I won't be going behind a paywall to see if the man himself can bring something new to me for Confederacy.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #140
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Wodehouse is nonpareil.
A comic genius of the first water.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #141
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Wodehouse invented acronyms, TBH.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #142
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Quote:
In English, the first known acronyms (as opposed to plain old initialisms) cropped up in the telegraphic code developed by Walter P. Phillips for the United Press Association in 1879.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #143
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
In English, the first known acronyms (as opposed to plain old initialisms) cropped up in the telegraphic code developed by Walter P. Phillips for the United Press Association in 1879.

If they were used in telegraphy, a non-spoken medium, how can they NOT be plain old initialisms?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #144
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure acronyms in English predate telegraphic era and Wodehouse, though many txt speak abbreviations actually were first used with Morse and later Telegrams. It's inevitable some abbreviations are pronounced and are similar to or actual words. Cam be hard sometimes to know if deliberate acronyms or retronyms, Till more recent times retronyms were called acronyms. Acrostics are sometimes acronyms.

Ancient Romans and Greeks used them.

The Church used them from earliest times. The acronym ikhthū́s is over 1900 years old. Greek for fish and the initials mean
Quote:
Iota (i), Iēsoûs (Ἰησοῦς), "Jesus"
Chi (ch), Khrīstós (Χρῑστός), "anointed"
Theta (th), Theoû (Θεοῦ), "of God", the genitive singular of Θεóς, Theós, "God"
Upsilon (y or u), (h)uiós[10] (Yἱός), "Son"
Sigma (s), sōtḗr (Σωτήρ), "Savior"
I suspect Shakespeare and others used them?

But Wodehouse is still a genius.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-25-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:25 PM   #145
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If they were used in telegraphy, a non-spoken medium, how can they NOT be plain old initialisms?
Speaking is nothing to do with it. Also telegraphic messages might be dictated and telegrams would be read to others. Also the number of acronyms in a language in time correlates with written usage, not oral use. A rise in Literacy creates them.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-25-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #146
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Speaking is nothing to do with it. Also telegraphic messages might be dictated and telegrams would be read to others. Also the number of acronyms in a language in time correlates with written usage, not oral use. A rise in Literacy creates them.
The distinction from initialism in Apache's post refers to the fact of it being pronounced as a word, rather that simply saying the letters. (SCUBA or LASER as opposed to FBI or NBC). So if it's not pronounced at all, there's no distinction to make.

If you have evidence to contradict the Wikipedia article's claim that the word-type acronyms in English are a purely 20th century thing, I'm sure it would make for an interesting thread of it own in some other section.

Last edited by ApK; 05-25-2022 at 03:43 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Good reason to never read any of his books.

They can be the bane of many books where these acronyms are way overused.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #148
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Good reason to never read any of his books.
Strikes me more as grasping at straws to justify not even trying the work of the greatest humor stylist of the 20th century.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #149
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Don't know if its been mentioned here but The Great Gatsby has to be included. I found it a dreadful pretentious pile of poo. Same with Picture of Dorien Grey
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #150
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think Moby Dick is the big one for me. It's the one I have the most trouble understanding how anyone else could possibly have enjoyed it. Only the book's reputation as a classic had me force myself through to the end. There were a handful of excellent paragraphs to be found (including the first), but it was like panning for gold: lots of mud and very little shine. If ever a book was made to be summarised by Reader's Digest, this was it.
I read it for a college class. An abridged version might be good, but the book was filled with too much minute detail about whaling and sailing that didn't really move the story along and that I didn't really care about.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote