Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-15-2022, 01:34 AM   #1
electricidiot
electricidiot began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Marvin, Bookmarks, iPadOS 15.2.x

This is ongoing with Marvin from 15.2 to 15.2.1 on my iPad (latest generation). Marvin is returning me to the beginning of the chapter every time I resume reading. It’s happened on two different books. The saved place that automatically stopped working at first, then I began bookmarking my place to try to get back to right where I left off and for over a week now, every time I open Marvin it’s scroll scroll scroll back to the correct spot. Not terribly inconvenient if you’re reading a book with short chapters and plenty of ‘em but tonight I started reading a book to my daughter that is only one long, long chapter.

This is a persistent problem and it’s got me worried because I haven’t loved an ereader software the way I’ve loved Marvin and I’ve tried dozens. Anyone else having this issue?
electricidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
No I haven’t had that problem. I’m on 15.2.1 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. It opens up to my previous position even if I completely shut down and close Marvin. It also is able to keep track of bookmarks.

How long is your long book? Has this happened with books that are properly broken down into 1 file per chapter??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Are you reading in Portrait or Landscape? I find that Marvin loses its place more in Landscape than it does in Portrait. Maybe try the one you are not currently using and see if it is still going to the beginning of the chapter.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also… try turning off the “Launch to last book” under General Settings, shut down Marvin completely, then turn the function back on again.

Also, check under Marvin in the iOS settings and make sure you don’t have “override launch to book” selected.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:52 PM   #5
electricidiot

Orientation doesn't seem to matter in this case.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:09 PM   #6
electricidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
No I haven’t had that problem. I’m on 15.2.1 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. It opens up to my previous position even if I completely shut down and close Marvin. It also is able to keep track of bookmarks.

How long is your long book? Has this happened with books that are properly broken down into 1 file per chapter??
in these two clips you can see it’s happening in multiple books, both orientations and Launch last book isn’t turned on.

https://imgur.com/a/BmbzQZL

https://imgur.com/a/P2M8aVD
Old 01-16-2022, 12:14 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I’ve had this problem in the past and it was when I switched from paginate to scrolling. When I switched back, the problem didn’t recur.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:52 AM   #8
electricidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I’ve had this problem in the past and it was when I switched from paginate to scrolling. When I switched back, the problem didn’t recur.
I think we have a winner. Switched to paginate and my place is saved.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

lol...that's awesome that it fixed it for you!

Interestingly, I exclusively use scrolling mode...without this problem. I will, occasionally use auto scroll, but usually just the manual scroll.