Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 03:08 AM   #76
beigewell
beigewell began at the beginning.

Device: Max Lumi 2
flashing the device without debugging (password lockout)

is there any way to flash the Max Lumi 2 when you do not know the password? I cannot logon to the device and factory reset only takes me to the Android Debug screen and displays "no command"
beigewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #77
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Well, there is always a way to get this sorted out. It's a question of effort.

First, is the USB ever active and what is it showing?
On Linux, do a lsusb command, on Windows check if it "bongs" when you plug in a cable and try adb and fastboot, look in devmgmt.msc, try my UsbLog.exe
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #78
beigewell

If I get the device into the recovery mode I can, it shows the Android "No Command" screen. I can connect it and use adb devices (on Windows) I can see the device it is just listed as "unauthorised" (because USB debugging isnt enabled)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:26 PM   #79
beigewell

adb devices lists the device B5C584D4 and "unauthorized". Fastboot doesnt detect. DevManView shows the device MaxLumi2 as a WinUSB device
Old 01-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #80
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You must be in stock recovery. That has that silly secure adb.
If adb was not enabled you wouldn't even see it.

You don't have any on screen options?

I don't know how easy the Max Lumi 2 is to take apart, how well you do that and how you feel about it, but we do have an EDL loader for this and you can surely fix it.

If all you can get to is unauthorized adb and there's no fastboot and you've tried playing with buttons and still can't get anywhere, then you'll have to try something else.

Some people, some other manufacturers have success with "EDL cables". I've built one, never got it to work on anything, but that could be my fault too.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:27 PM   #81
beigewell

no the buttons only get me to the Android "no command" screen. In fairness Boox have offered for me to send it back to them to get reflashed and only pay for shipping. Seems best option when factory reset with their instructions doesn't work. thanks anyway
Old 01-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #82
Renate
Wizard

Aw, I would have taken this apart.

I believe most stock recoveries have ro.adb.secure=1 which means they require adb_keys.
Since recoveries generally don't have the adb socket to trigger the confirm popup there is no way to add keys.
The Onyx stock recoveries don't have either /adb_keys or /data/misc/adb/adb_keys (obviously) so there are no OEM keys.
If they did have OEM keys they could probably flash your device without opening it.

So, the question is: Can they flash it without opening it?
If this were my device I'd put a little dot of clear nail polish on a seam to see if they break it.
OTOH, I wouldn't send it in, I'd just open it.