Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 05:35 AM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Another potential downside to the Sage is the additional power draw of the stylus capability on a 1200ma battery. I imagine people will go bonkers about the move to USB-C, a feature I couldnt care less about.

Goes to show you the different priorities of different consumers. There will be a lot of people psyched about the Sage as the new flagship, while for me its going to force me to the Forma or (more likely) the new kindle. Kobo must have done their market research and concluded this is what their customers want. I may end up waiting for the new Oasis and pray that its 8-inch. Doubt it will be, though.
Again, I'm with you. I'm going to buy the Forma and I'll also be waiting for the 8'' Oasis, which probably will never arrive.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:37 AM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Another potential downside to the Sage is the additional power draw of the stylus capability on a 1200ma battery. I imagine people will go bonkers about the move to USB-C, a feature I couldnt care less about.
I guess they're going (a little) with the original Oasis scheme here (not to the same extreme). "Yeah, it's not great battery life, but use this charging cover to extend it."

I wonder what's going to happen with the Clara — just stay the same?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 06:01 AM   #48
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
is the difference between the eink carta 1000 and 1200 noticeable?

that would be the only incentive i can think of upgrading from libra h2o to libra 2. i do not care much about USB-C and storage space.

I'm wondering the same thing (for the Sage in my case, as I have a Forma).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #49
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'm wondering the same thing (for the Sage in my case, as I have a Forma).
The Forma has a pulse width modulation backlight, if the sage has the same backlight as the current Libra (which is better from what i read), then that is also one consideration you might want to consider.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #50
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess they're going (a little) with the original Oasis scheme here (not to the same extreme). "Yeah, it's not great battery life, but use this charging cover to extend it."

I wonder what's going to happen with the Clara — just stay the same?
I am forever traumatized by my experience with the original 6-inch oasis and its miniscule, quick-draining battery. It functioned more like a tablet, battery-wise. Sold it soon after I bought it.

I mostly read at home and never use sleepcovers because of the additional weight.

Battery life and weight are primary considerations in an ereader, along with screen size and lighting uniformity. All the other stuff like storage space, audio capability, stylus capability, USB-C, etc... are basically irrelevant to me.

These are specialized devices and are best when they improve on their core competencies, like temperature adjustment did for lighting. Its why I find this as irritating as I do.

The new buttons better be fan-freaking-tastic.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #51
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Again, I'm with you. I'm going to buy the Forma and I'll also be waiting for the 8'' Oasis, which probably will never arrive.
Im split between the Forma and the new kindle after seeing these new releases from Kobo. I figure Ill have a hard time rationalizing the Forma given that the kindle will probably be available discounted and is new tech, strictly from a value standpoint.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #52
aussetg
aussetg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I wish they had gone with the iMX7D instead of, again, an iMX6SL/SLL...

Oh well, I'll still cancel the PW5 and get the Libra 2, KoReader/Plato >> Faster CPU
aussetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #53
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:

Goes to show you the different priorities of different consumers. There will be a lot of people psyched about the Sage as the new flagship, while for me its going to force me to the Forma or (more likely) the new kindle. Kobo must have done their market research and concluded this is what their customers want. I may end up waiting for the new Oasis and pray that its 8-inch. Doubt it will be, though.
It's a Bluetooth stylus. If Bluetooth is off and not being used power draw shouldn't be impacted by that and the stylus has its own battery. It's not like a Wacom device where it always needs to power the coils under the screen to power the pen on the off chance it's used. I wouldn't be surprised if it has similar battery life to a Forma if used in a similar way (no stylus, no audio books, etc.). Other than the weight the Sage seems like a good Forma replacement to me.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
is the difference between the eink carta 1000 and 1200 noticeable?

that would be the only incentive i can think of upgrading from libra h2o to libra 2. i do not care much about USB-C and storage space.

though i need to physically see and touch it before i can determine, the buttons location of the libra 2 seemed to be too close to the border/edge of the body.
I don't think that any of Kobo replacement devices (Aura HD to Aura H20 then Aura H2O Edition 2, the various Touch's, Glo HD to Clara HD, and now Libra H2O to Libra 2 or Forma to Sage) are worthwhile updates if you have the earlier device. They are generally better devices, but, I would only suggest moving up if the old device is failing. Or, there is a specific feature you want.

I can see upgrading from any of the earlier 6.8" devices to the Libra 2 might make sense. There are enough differences that would make it desirable. But, at the same time, those who haven't upgraded from an Aura HD or H2O, are probably not wanting this because of the buttons and shape.

After the Elipsa, the features in the Sage and Libra 2 make sense to me. The change to USB-C is overdue. And while I personally don't want audiobook, I can see it makes sense. I assume it will be added to the Elispa, but, we will see.

Having said all that, there will be a Sage coming here for my wife to replace her Forma. She listens to audiobooks, and has bought some from Kobo, so it makes sense for her. And she will be happy with a USB-C connector. The question is whether I will stick with the hand-me-down Forma, or get a Sage for myself. I'll probably use the Forma for a while and see what's next.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #55
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo US:
Libra 2 - $179.99
Sage - $259.99

Kobo UK:
Libra 2 - £159.99
Save - £249.99

Kobo AU:
Libra 2 - $279.99
Sage - $439.95

Kobo CA:
Libra 2 - $219.99
Sage- $299.99
Kobo ES:
Libra 2 - 189,99€
Sage - 289,99€
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #56
mezzanine
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think that any of Kobo replacement devices (Aura HD to Aura H20 then Aura H2O Edition 2, the various Touch's, Glo HD to Clara HD, and now Libra H2O to Libra 2 or Forma to Sage) are worthwhile updates if you have the earlier device. They are generally better devices, but, I would only suggest moving up if the old device is failing. Or, there is a specific feature you want.

I can see upgrading from any of the earlier 6.8" devices to the Libra 2 might make sense. There are enough differences that would make it desirable. But, at the same time, those who haven't upgraded from an Aura HD or H2O, are probably not wanting this because of the buttons and shape.

After the Elipsa, the features in the Sage and Libra 2 make sense to me. The change to USB-C is overdue. And while I personally don't want audiobook, I can see it makes sense. I assume it will be added to the Elispa, but, we will see.

Having said all that, there will be a Sage coming here for my wife to replace her Forma. She listens to audiobooks, and has bought some from Kobo, so it makes sense for her. And she will be happy with a USB-C connector. The question is whether I will stick with the hand-me-down Forma, or get a Sage for myself. I'll probably use the Forma for a while and see what's next.
The upgrade from a Glo to a Clara is definitely significant; same with the jump from the Aura HD to H20. Carta was a big step up.

Jealous of your soon to be inherited Forma.

I have a feeling Im going to be learning how to jailbreak a kindle, which is something Id hoped to avoid. On the plus side, I like kindles hardware better.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was thinking of replacing my mom's Forma (she needs to charge it every other day). The Sage would be nice for the newer (and supposedly better contrast) screen, but the ergonomics and lighter weight of the Forma would be lost. She is also rough on the reader (the screen has several scratches), so I worry about the glass substrate of the Sage.

I will be getting her something for Christmas, and I'm currently thinking the Forma would be the better choice.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The Forma has a pulse width modulation backlight, if the sage has the same backlight as the current Libra (which is better from what i read), then that is also one consideration you might want to consider.
Yes, the Forma uses PWM to control the light. But, there is absolutely no way that it is an issue. And anyone who tries to tell you it is does not know what they are talking about.

Note: PWM can be an issue depending on how it is implemented. But, it isn't for the Forma.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #59
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
In my country, the Sage is being advertised on Kobo at 85% of the price of the Forma. That and the hardware enhancements are seriously tempting me to upgrade my wife from an H202 to a Libra (Mk1), to wit, mine.

I don't care at all about audiobooks, but I love the fact that the stylus is an optional extra, since I care even less for that feature. To me, the Sage seems like it might be the "fixed Forma" I've long said would tempt me to go from 7 to 8. Even if it means I need an adapter to connect it to my USB-C-less PC
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And kudos to Kobo for going with the newer screen for the Libra 2, and I'm surprised now that the new Kindle PW didn't use the new screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote