Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #1
grelca
grelca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amazon purchases - Kindle Paperwhite resetting edited metadata

I spent a while the other night downloading a lot of my purchases from Amazon to organize with Calibre - specifically I wanted series of books to be ordered by their series, not by their titles.

It took a lot of time and experimenting to figure out exactly how to make it work like I wanted, but eventually I got it all done and everything was organized just how I wanted it.

Imagine my surprise when I flipped back to the Kindle homepage today after finishing a book to find most (but not all) of the series in title order again! These books definitely all had the new titles starting with the series name straight from Calibre a few days ago, but now about 75% of them have reverted back to the titles from Amazon.

And when I plugged the Kindle into my computer, the .azw3 files organized nicely by Calibre were also gone, each of the books with reverted titles have .kfx files in the root documents directory instead.

I did notice this happening to a few books even the night I organized it all, but it was only for a couple of books, so I thought that I'd simply forgotten to remove the version of the book already on my Kindle before transferring the new ones. Now I'm thinking that the Kindle reverted their titles before I even had a chance to check on them. And I checked every single book I transferred from Calibre - when I was finished, every single one of these books had the new title that started with the series.

Has anyone else seen this happen before? What can I do?

I assume that disconnecting my Kindle from the internet would likely keep this from happening, but that would be my last resort, because I still want to be able to browse the Kindle store and have purchases from Amazon automatically sent to the device.

Last edited by grelca; 11-13-2016 at 03:44 AM.
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That is a feature of newer kindle firmware. If you have an AZW3 version of an Amazon-purchased book on your kindle it will automatically upgrade it to KFX format when you are online if that is available. This will enable enhanced typesetting and page flip, but will undo any customizations you may have made.

ETA: As a work around you could set your modified books to be personal documents (cdetype=PDOC), but this will have other side effects. The books will not show cover thumbnails on the kindle and your reading position and annotations will not sync between devices.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-13-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional info
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
grelca
grelca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well, that's frustrating

What is enhanced typesetting exactly? I know what the page flip feature is because I accidentally went into it in a book recently, and it's not something I think I'll ever really use on purpose, so I can definitely live without that. I searched on Google but I all of the things I found talking about it seemed pretty vague. I'm also not even 100% sure my Kindle even supports it, because in my searching I saw one forum thread that had people talking about it only being available on the PW3 and I have a PW2, so.... But that was also from a year and a half ago.

I guess for now I'll just primarily hang out in airplane mode. Setting things as documents is more of a last resort than that :P
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelca View Post
What is enhanced typesetting exactly?
Amazon has a web page describing enhanced typesetting.
(https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=11516960011)

It is supported on Kindles running firmware 5.6.5 or newer, including the PW2.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-13-2016 at 07:45 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote