Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #24256
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Absolutely. I prefer to wake at least two hours before I need to leave the house. A slow and gentle wake-up, followed by breakfast and a shower, then out the door. This hurry-up business if for the birds!

Stitchawl
Agreed. I tend to wake early and sit up in bed, reading or even doing some email/MobileRead. Then go do my morning swim or bike, and have breakfast, with the goal of getting to my desk by ~9AM. (Today I'm runing nearly an hour behind, but refuse to rush it - no deadlines staring me in the face.)

In my cup: Trying something a bit different for a morning tea - an organic 2nd flush Darjeeling from Pussimbing Estate (FTGFOP1). Steeped at 195F for just 3 minutes. Not bad, though without the brightness I like in a breakfast tea. And I think I need to reduce the time and/or quantity a bit, since there's rather more tannin coming through than I'd like. (Tannin's back of the mouth bite not being a substitute for the bright bite of an Assam or good Ceylon.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #24257
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I am up early today because I went to bed at 8 last night - studying can be exhausting. Hopefully Stitchawl is still sleeping from a hard day's work!

And I cracked my phone's screen yesterday. Is it a good luck sign?

@ Iri: I'm terribly sorry you have to go through all that at work. And it's inconceivable that a body like yours should be dismantled... here, have a hug. I wish you and and your colleagues good luck at finding new job.

@ Blues: could you include some photos, please?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #24258
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Saturday night at the movies
Who cares what picture you see
When you're hugging with your baby in last row in the balcony

Well there's technicolor and cinemascope
A cast out of Hollywood
And the popcorn from the candy stand
Makes it all seem twice as good

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJm35GrnBXg )

Good morning, everyone! Another Saturday, and looks as if it will be a good one! No papers, forms, bureaucrats, or vaccinations. I'm gonna go for a ride and see if I can find some pretty Cherry blossoms! It's still about a week early in most places, but maybe I'll get lucky. But first..... TEA! Today will be Ahmad's "English Breakfast" tea. I past an import shop yesterday that had it on sale for about $8 for 250g, so I stocked up. That's about half of the usual price here. And to go along with it, some rice, Cajun-spiced chicken, and tsukemono. Then it's grab my bag, saddle my pony, and hit the trail!

Oh... ORLOK... I forwarded your Easter egg joke to my entire mailing list.... If you're not embarrassed by it, why should I be?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #24259
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post

And I cracked my phone's screen yesterday. Is it a good luck sign?
Only if you wanted a new phone...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #24260
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Only if you wanted a new phone...
If I recall correctly that phone is pretty new already....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #24261
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
English Breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
If I recall correctly that phone is pretty new already....
That's why I asked if it's a good luck sign. I really need one, now. My friends say I'm not compatible with smartphones
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #24262
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
English Breakfast.

That's why I asked if it's a good luck sign. I really need one, now. My friends say I'm not compatible with smartphones
Try a good case. I've been using the "Otterbox" on my iPhone, and it is both good protection and non-annoying.

Talisker.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #24263
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Try a good case. I've been using the "Otterbox" on my iPhone, and it is both good protection and non-annoying.
Wut he said...

I looked at the Otterbox line, including the big Mil-Spec ones, but went with a LifeProof Case instead. At the time Otterbox didn't have a waterproof case, and LifeProof is good down to 2 meters. (Now, Otterbox does have a waterproof case, but it's twice as thick as the LifeProof, and would stretch out my pocket!)
LifeProof is completely waterproof, dust proof, drop-protected, etc., etc. Although it comes with a plastic front shield, I added a "Zagg" Invisible Shield on top of that to protect it from scratching. You just can NOT damage a Zagg shield! I'm pretty rough on equipment, so everything I use needs to be 'kid proof.' Anh... are you listening?

Time for an afternoon mug of Yorkshire tea!

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #24264
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wut he said...

I looked at the Otterbox line, including the big Mil-Spec ones, but went with a LifeProof Case instead. At the time Otterbox didn't have a waterproof case, and LifeProof is good down to 2 meters. (Now, Otterbox does have a waterproof case, but it's twice as thick as the LifeProof, and would stretch out my pocket!)
LifeProof is completely waterproof, dust proof, drop-protected, etc., etc. Although it comes with a plastic front shield, I added a "Zagg" Invisible Shield on top of that to protect it from scratching. You just can NOT damage a Zagg shield! I'm pretty rough on equipment, so everything I use needs to be 'kid proof.' Anh... are you listening?

Time for an afternoon mug of Yorkshire tea!

Stitchawl
Yep, got Lifeproof for both my iPhone 4s and my wife's. The iPhone I made of glass (literally) (which is a concept that baffles me anyone would think is a good idea) and we have dropped them many times. The Lifeproof case has kept them safe. I even took mine to the water park, and it worked great.

Expensive, but still is best case I have found.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #24265
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Yep, got Lifeproof for both my iPhone 4s and my wife's. The iPhone I made of glass (literally) (which is a concept that baffles me anyone would think is a good idea) and we have dropped them many times. The Lifeproof case has kept them safe. I even took mine to the water park, and it worked great.

Expensive, but still is best case I have found.

I had to make special docks for my iPhone 5 to use with the Lifeproof case. I also modified the cable plug ends on my traveling rechargers. The Lifeproof case 'port' is much deeper than a usual case, and although I 'could' use the cables alone they way they are (remember, the iPhone 5 uses a 'Lightning' plug, much smaller than the iPhone 4 or iPod 30 pin connector.) I added 2" of plastic U-channel just to give me more to grip when I inserted or removed the plug. As for a dock, no one has made a suitable dock for the iPhone 5 to use with the Lifeproof case, so I made up a couple for myself. I like the convenience of just reaching out and dropping the phone into the dock with one hand, leaving the phone sitting upright on my desk. I also often use my phone as my alarm clock, so I wanted another dock beside my bed. I was downtown today an looked at the new Otterbox waterproof model, and that looks absolutely bomb-proof, but at the expense of size. It's easily twice as thick as the Lifeproof case, and 'chunky' all around. Complete with a heavy duty rotating clip. Perfect case for an active, klutzy kid!

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #24266
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
I had to make special docks for my iPhone 5 to use with the Lifeproof case. I also modified the cable plug ends on my traveling rechargers. The Lifeproof case 'port' is much deeper than a usual case, and although I 'could' use the cables alone they way they are (remember, the iPhone 5 uses a 'Lightning' plug, much smaller than the iPhone 4 or iPod 30 pin connector.) I added 2" of plastic U-channel just to give me more to grip when I inserted or removed the plug. As for a dock, no one has made a suitable dock for the iPhone 5 to use with the Lifeproof case, so I made up a couple for myself. I like the convenience of just reaching out and dropping the phone into the dock with one hand, leaving the phone sitting upright on my desk. I also often use my phone as my alarm clock, so I wanted another dock beside my bed. I was downtown today an looked at the new Otterbox waterproof model, and that looks absolutely bomb-proof, but at the expense of size. It's easily twice as thick as the Lifeproof case, and 'chunky' all around. Complete with a heavy duty rotating clip. Perfect case for an active, klutzy kid!

Stitchawl
With the 4s I got a dock adapter real cheap off of Amazon that allowed me to use the phones in their life proof case with just about any dock/cable on the market made for the phones. I assume at some point (if not already) there will be a similar one for the 5.

I had the Otterbox for a short run, but it was just to thick. I made it nearly impossible to keep in my pocket, and etc.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #24267
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
With the 4s I got a dock adapter real cheap off of Amazon that allowed me to use the phones in their life proof case with just about any dock/cable on the market made for the phones. I assume at some point (if not already) there will be a similar one for the 5.

I had the Otterbox for a short run, but it was just to thick. I made it nearly impossible to keep in my pocket, and etc.
I regularly check the two major sources for cases and cables here in Japan. Both places have fully half a department story dedicated to cell phone accessories. Until last week there were NO docks at all for the iPhone 5, much less one that would fit the Lifeproof case. This week I found A dock for the 5, vary simple, just an L-shaped base with the Lightning plug, but the plug is too short for the Lifeproof case. As of last week they began selling 30-pin to Lightning adapters that I could build into a dock. The older adapters wouldn't fit at all. That was what I was using before I got the Lifeproof case. I'm expecting Lifeproof to come out with a dock within the next few months, but the ones I made seem to get the job done!

Stitchawl
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #24268
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
( sketchy wifi..one hour a day.... here is a part from my travel journal. Yesterday I visited the famous Registan Ensemble in Samarkand...see video I posted earlier this week. And excuse grammar mistakes...)

Back on the road to see some more of the old town of Samarkand, hidden from sight by walls and iron gates. The roads in this part have the medieval plan of a gutter in the center; from each house a gutter drains in it. All is clean, although the roads are in bad repair; potholes and such. But no garbage on the roads and pavements. People are not rich but seem to be better fed and dressed than the ones in Tasjkent.

As we walk the streets we see a mosque, surrounded by tables with food and men and small boys eating. Every table has big bottles of water, pepsi-cola and pots of green tea. Also it holds bread, plates with sugared almonds, raisins, walnuts, radishes, cucumber, fruits, cakes, bowls of yoghurt, some sweet white paste, apricotjam and communal cloths napkins. As I look for someplace to sit, as I think it is a restaurant, men invite us to take a seat. ( much later I realize that I'm the only woman on the square). We sit under a big tree on the square.
Someone goes to the kitchen, in a building next to the mosque, to ask for food for us. And presto, pots of green tea, cups and a dish of plov arrives. Plov is the national dish of rice, saffron, sweet cabbage and raisin. It is served with mutton or beef. We get a plate with two spoons and we 'dig in'. As a vegetarian I eat the plov without meat and it tastes good. I wash all down with green tea. Being a lefthandler, I do eat with my right hand, as it is bad manners to use the left hand which is used only for unclean things.
A man comes to chat with us. He studied in the USA and travels all over the world. I ask about work, schooling and such. Schooling is free till university. All can go if they want. There are many men, he mentions 8 million, working in Russia.
We leave and want to pay, but they say we are their guests. I donate some money in the box for the poor and we say Salaam Aleikum with our hands on the heart to every one.

After this surprising lunch on to Siab bazaar. It is fascinating to see this again. Cloth sacs of exotic spices, fruit stalls piled high with apples, grapes. Stalls with various eggs, small, mottled, green, brown and white. Stalls with tiny balls made of milk, different cheeses, butter, meat and so on. Men and wonen sell their wares. I buy a typical a delightful round bread- the traditional Samarkand unleavened non, radishes and tomatoes. Who needs a language guide? Pointing and holding fingers up....
The women vendors and men have seperate rows where they vend all. Though I don't speak the language, I can understand some of the jokes the women make; a naughty lot. They are dressed in loud colors, long trousers and dresses, headscarves and glitters on their clothes.

And a walk in the old town behind the walls on the other side of the Registan square. Very nice all. After a rest on a bench, contemplating, admiring the beautiful Registan Ensemble opposite, it is getting dark early, so we go back to the hotel. A long and fruitful day it was.
Tomorrow I move on, with a slow train back to Tasjkent and from Tasjkent to the Fergana valley on the same day.

In my cup: lots of green tea.

Last edited by desertblues; 03-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #24269
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
English Breakfast.

I'm beginning to think you shouldn't be allowed electronic devices at all! Were you hitting yourself in the head again?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #24270
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
( sketchy wifi..one hour a day.... here is a part from my travel journal. Yesterday I visited the famous Registen Ensemble in Samarkand...see video I posted earlier this week. And excuse grammar mistakes...)

Back on the road to see some more of the old town of Samarkand, hidden from sight by walls and iron gates. The roads in this part have the medieval plan of a gutter in the center; from each house a gutter drains in it. All is clean, although the roads are in bad repair; potholes and such. But no garbage on the roads and pavements. People are not rich but seem to be better fed and dressed than the ones in Tasjkent.

As we walked the streets we see a mosque, surrounded by tables with food and men and small boys eating. Every table has big bottles of water, pepsi-cola and pots of green tea. Also it holds bread, plates with sugared almonds, raisins, walnuts, radishes, cucumber, fruits, cakes, bowls of yoghurt, some sweet white paste, apricotjam and communal cloths napkins. As I look for someplace to sit, as I think it is a restaurant, men invite us to take a seat. ( much later I realize that I'm the only woman on the square). We sit under a big tree on the square.
Someone goes to the kitchen, in a building next to the mosque, to ask for food for us. And presto, pots of green tea, cups and a dish of plov arrives. Plov is the national dish of rice, saffron, sweet cabbage and raisin. It is served with mutton or beef. We get a plate with two spoons and we 'dig in'. As a vegetarian I eat the plov without meat and it tastes good. I wash all down with green tea. Being a lefthandler, I do eat with my right hand, as it is bad manners to use the left hand which is used only for unclean things.
A man comes to chat with us. He studied in the USA and travels all over the world. I ask about work, schooling and such. Schooling is free till university. All can go if they want. There are many men, he mentions 8 million, working in Russia.
We leave and want to pay, but they say we are their guests. I donate some money in the box for the poor and we say Salaam Aleikum with our hands on the heart to every one.

After this surprising lunch on to Siab bazaar. It is fascinating to see this again. Cloth sacs of exotic spices, fruit stalls piled high with apples, grapes. Stalls with various eggs, small, mottled, green, brown and white. Stalls with tiny balls made of milk, different cheeses, butter, meat and so on. Men and wonen sell their wares. I buy a typical and delightful round bread- the traditional Samarkand unleavened non, radishes and tomatoes. Who needs a language guide? Pointing and holding fingers up....
The women vendors and men have seperate rows where they vend all. Though I don't speak the language, I can understand some of the jokes they make; a naughty lot. They are dressed in loud colors, long trousers and dresses, headscarves and glitters on their clothes.

And a walk in the old town behind the walls on the other side of the Registan square. Very nice all. After a rest on a bench, contemplating, admiring the beautiful Registan Ensemble opposite, it is getting dark early, so we go back to the hotel. A long and fruitful day it was.
Tomorrow I move on, with a slow train back to Tasjkent and from Tasjkent to the Fergana valley on the same day.

In my cup: lots of green tea.
I missed a link?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?