Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2023, 12:02 PM   #271
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is true. Those colorful and well designed covers do their job.
Maybe you should read French paperbacks.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #272
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Maybe you should read French paperbacks.
Presumably no connection to French Letters, Fnar, Fnar.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 03:06 PM   #273
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Presumably no connection to French Letters, Fnar, Fnar.
Or French Postcards, or... well. Nevermind.

I did Google (well, Bing) French paperbacks and it looks like many used to come in generic covers. Not sure that is still true.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One advantage pBooks is they make good kindling to start a fire.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #275
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One advantage pBooks is they make good kindling to start a fire.
The Amazon device is called a Kindle after all...
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 03:49 PM   #276
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But I have found that I can enter a tag or even a random word in Calibre's search and similarly come across books buried in my elibrary.
Calibre also has a 'similar books' feature, and this can be mapped to different columns (or even a grouped search) in preferences > searching.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #277
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
The only advantage of paper books is they look nicer on bookshelves. E-readers excel at everything else.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:38 PM   #278
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
The only advantage of paper books is they look nicer on bookshelves. E-readers excel at everything else.
While e-readers excel in many areas, paper books have some advantages beyond aesthetics. They provide a sensory experience, don't require power, and are easier on the eyes. They also enable annotations and sharing, hold sentimental value, and allow for used book shopping. Both formats have their merits, so it's up to personal preference to choose the best option.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:48 PM   #279
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
While e-readers excel in many areas, paper books have some advantages beyond aesthetics. They provide a sensory experience, don't require power, and are easier on the eyes. They also enable annotations and sharing, hold sentimental value, and allow for used book shopping. Both formats have their merits, so it's up to personal preference to choose the best option.
All this is very subjective (well, except for the bit about requiring power). For example, I hate the feel and smell of paper books, so the sensory experience they give is a disadvantage for me. They're also a lot harder on my eyes than ebooks. As for used book shopping... I'm glad I won't have to do that again. As for sharing... can't do that with paper books. You either give your paper book to another person and don't have it yourself, or you have it yourself and the other person doesn't. While you can easily share ebooks without DRM (whether you should do it or not, is another kettle of fish).

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-26-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #280
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I absolutely agree that it's all about personal preference, but have to point out that the points you list above are also subjective. "easier on the eyes" - For me, my Kobos are much eeasier on my eyes than paper books. "A sensory experience" - pushing buttons is very tactile, a sensory experience different from that of paper books but still definitely a sensory experience. "hold sentimental value" - this one's 100% subjective of objects generally, assuming as it does that one feels asentimental attachment to things. Ditto "allow for used book shopping" - subjective because it assumes that one finds that an enjoyable experience And of course, there are many ereaders now that allow annotations, no longer a feature exxclusive to paper books. All of which reinforces the point that there are NO objective advantages, all are subjective.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #281
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
They provide a sensory experience, don't require power, and are easier on the eyes.
I think both eBooks and paper books have different advantages. But as others hvae said, they are subjective. For me eBooks are WAY easier on the eyes! That's what got me hooked once upon a time. And while paper books don't require electricity to run, they do require good reading light. So does the eInk device, but with the built in lights being so good nowadays I can forget about that.
I do like the feel and smell of paper though. But I hate having to hold a heavy textbased hardback book. Flicking through paper book pictures I like though. So yeah, I like both paper and elctronics...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #282
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Paper books aren't "easier on the eyes" if those eyes can't read the small print and or deal with bleed through on cheap thin paper.

I don't need the sensory experience of smelling an old book or having to heft a heavy book. A paper book can't be read in the dark without a light source.

All of those "advantages" are subjective and depend on the needs/wants of the reader. My first Kindle in 2009 gave reading back to me. When the front lit Kindles came along, I was overjoyed. Adjustable font size? Wow, amazing! I could read! Hundreds of books in a lightweight device that I can use anywhere regardless of ambient light? No sensory experience beats those advantages.

When I want to lend a Kindle book, I lend one of my Kindles. I make good use of my public library, and KU. I love print books, but I read on my Kindle. That is what matters to me. Not any real or imagined emotional connection to the "thing" that holds the words.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #283
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
While e-readers excel in many areas, paper books have some advantages beyond aesthetics. They provide a sensory experience...
I admit, I may be a weirdo. But I like reading on multiple devices for similar reasons. My Kobo Clara is my primary reader (my only reader at night). But then I also like to cycle through reading on my Nook Glowlight Plus and even the Kindle. And I really enjoy the nostalgia of reading on a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.

They all use similar technology, but are different experiences.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:39 PM   #284
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Another advantage to me, is not having to carry two books when I was near the end of one. Now I carry my entire library everywhere I go.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:45 PM   #285
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
... and are easier on the eyes.
I would disagree. With a paper book you have the font family and size that the publisher and/or author decided to use, with ebooks you can customize the font family and size to your needs.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote