Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
It's been the same with all the releases. International sales usually only start after about 3-4 months, and obviously don't qualify for the 'special offers' discount. UPS also charge the maximum possible import duties (You can reclaim, but it's a whole lot of effort) to most places, meaning it's cheaper to use forwarding anyway.
Actually the K3 launched at the same time in the US and the UK. They've done it before, so why can't they do it again.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@daffy4u: That's for the Fires, not the Paperwhite .
That's what I get for speed reading an article while working. Thanks for the correction and sorry for the confusion.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Not sure when they are coming to New Zealand. I'll have to play with them in the store first.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Actually the K3 launched at the same time in the US and the UK. They've done it before, so why can't they do it again.
UK and "International" are not the same things

When you are in a country where the device is not officially supported, it will offer you an "International" model, which is just a non-special offers version.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Actually Amazon international shipping stinks. Most of the time it is cheaper to send it to my US address and then ship it on from there. Amazon overcharges for international shipping (they usually don't even offer a choice of cheaper, slower shipping options) and collect customs fees and import taxes that I wouldn't have to pay in the first place.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #21
Chucky77
Chucky77 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Paperwhites are available via ebay.co.uk BUT with a big disclaimer about the fact you're taking a risk regarding compatibility in the UK.

Want one so bad, but I guess i'm in for a long wait
Chucky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Almost certainly it's a matter of supply. There's limited stock, and they want to be able to fulfil all the domestic orders for Christmas. This is a new eInk screen - it's probably only available in limited quantities at the moment.

I'm sure it'll be released world-wide sometime after Christmas, just as happened with the Kindle Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Almost certainly it's a matter of supply. There's limited stock, and they want to be able to fulfil all the domestic orders for Christmas. This is a new eInk screen - it's probably only available in limited quantities at the moment.

I'm sure it'll be released world-wide sometime after Christmas, just as happened with the Kindle Touch.
Yes I was looking at the US and UK release dates for the touch. In the US it was end of September 2011 and in the UK end of April 2012. If that is the kind of timescale they are working, towards then, we could be in for a bit of a wait. On, the bright side at least, we will, be able to see the reviews before deciding to buy one or not.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #24
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I think they actually delivered the K-Touches in mid-November. I didn't get one, but that was about the time I got my KF.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
Edy
Enthusiast
Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, new iPad,
This morning i received an e-mail from Amazon.de to announce the new Kindle Fire. Shipping date is Oct. 25. But they won´t ship to Switzerland. No word of the Kindle Paperweight. I gues as said before most of us want the Kindle Paperweight.

So I also believe the issue is with the demand to delay the Kindle Paperweight for other countries. I feel Apple handles it better when they do a launch and mention the dates of the shipment to various countries.

Well my Kindle 3 I ordered from Amazon.com and the shipment fee was good, actually a lot better than a forwarder. So I cannot share the input said.

Perhaps I´m lucky and a mailorder store here in Switzerland will import the Kindle Paperweight from the US and sell it. They did the same with the Kindle Fire.

I want a Kindle Paperweight as soon as possible to a good price!

Fingers crossed,
Edy
Edy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #26
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I think they actually delivered the K-Touches in mid-November. I didn't get one, but that was about the time I got my KF.
Ok thanks. Was just going by dates on the most reliable of sources wikipedia
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #27
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky77 View Post
Paperwhites are available via ebay.co.uk BUT with a big disclaimer about the fact you're taking a risk regarding compatibility in the UK.

Want one so bad, but I guess i'm in for a long wait
If you only plan to use your own books and never buy from Amazon, I guess it would be safe here in the UK to buy a US Paperwhite?

Or would you not be able to register it with your Amazon account, thereby losing Whispersync with Kindle for iOS, etc? Would the 3G maybe not work?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
If you only plan to use your own books and never buy from Amazon, I guess it would be safe here in the UK to buy a US Paperwhite?

Or would you not be able to register it with your Amazon account, thereby losing Whispersync with Kindle for iOS, etc? Would the 3G maybe not work?
I'll be absolutely fine. I live in the UK and bought a Kindle Touch from the US when they were first released. It all worked perfectly, 3G and all. No reason to expect any different from the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #29
flowerprint
flowerprint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So there is no official launch date? I'm traveling to US (from Asia) for vacation and would like to pick up paperwhite to replace my K3. Hope it will be in stores by Oct 08 latest!!!
flowerprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
So did last year's models from what I remember. I ordered the K4NT right as it was announced.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote