Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
An Incomplete Education (picked it up at a funky used book store) Not a straight through sort of read, but one to enjoy in bits and pieces

Get Real, the last Dortmunder novel by Donald E. Westlake

The Battle of the Labyrinth, my daughter introduced me to these terrific Percy Jackson and the Olympians books and I've enjoyed each one so far.
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
What are the best three books (any medium) you've read this year so far (written by someone else)?
Well, since I've been keeping track and rating my books read this year, I can tell you!

1. Heaven by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
3. Nation by Terry Pratchett

Close runners up:
Darkship Thieves by Sarah A. Hoyt
The Dragon Man by Brian Stableford
The Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin
Tea-time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith
Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Overthrowing Heaven by Mark L. Van Name
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
American Fuji by Sara Backer - two Americans in Japan are thrown together to solve a mystery.

Heaven by Lisa Miller - Newsweek magazine's religion editor examines the western preoccupation with the afterlife, and its possibilities (according to one's belief system).

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick - stories of six North Korean escapees.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I can't differentiate between the three books in the millenium trilogy so I'll have them as one pick

1. The millenium Trilogy- Stieg Larsson
2. A thousand Splendid suns- Khaled Hosseni
3. Shanghai girls- Lisa See
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #20
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Skippy Dies - Paul Murrey (One of the best books I've ever read)

Inherent Vice - Thomas Pynchon (I know, that's from the last year, but I read it this summer. No ebooks for Pynchon )

The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #21
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Read a lot of good books this year... off the top of my head, my favorites are:

The Road by Cormack McCarthy - didn't need to think for very long on that one, easily the most impressive book I've read in a while

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao was also a beauty

For #3 I'll have to check my LibraryThing... ah, yes!

The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society

(Btw, I agree that Robin Hobb's Dragon Keeper was a big disappointment.)

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 08-25-2010 at 08:43 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #22
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
1.The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
2.The Weight of Blood: The Half Orcs, Book 1 - David Dalglish
3.The Concrete Blonde - Michael Connelly
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #23
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Runemarks by Joanne Harris
Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster
Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #24
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
The only outstanding novels I've read this year have been Waiting by Ha Jin and Everyman by Philp Roth.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #25
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
My three are all ex aequo:

The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
Absolution Gap - Alastair Reynolds
Flood + Ark - Stephen Baxter [two books, actually, but one story]

Close enough, I enjoyed also
Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver
Under the Dome by Stephen King
The last Jack Reacher by Lee Child [don't remember the title]
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #26
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Not to sound like a pretentious jerk, BUT:

<pretentious>The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky</pretentious>
The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (not really one book, but it would be pointless to read only one)
Titus Groan/Gormenghast (again, not one book, but they belong together)
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #27
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (not really one book, but it would be pointless to read only one)
Why would loving a book make you a pretentious jerk? Despising someone because they love books you hate, or hate books you love, that would be pretentious. Or pretending to love a book because everybody says intelligent people are supposed to love that particular book, that would be stupid.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #28
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post

Have you found ebooks of Gormenghast? Also, where did you get the ebooks of Gene Wolfe from (if they were ebooks)? I've been looking for both of those.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #29
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Why would loving a book make you a pretentious jerk? Despising someone because they love books you hate, or hate books you love, that would be pretentious. Or pretending to love a book because everybody says intelligent people are supposed to love that particular book, that would be stupid.
Thanks for the perspective. I just thought it might sound pretentious to say that I really loved The Brothers Karamazov, but you're right - I loved it because I loved it, not because someone made me feel like I'd be stupid for not loving it.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
My top 3 books this year are (in no particular order):

1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
2. Columbine by Dave Cullen
3. Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

Yes, I am surprised myself to find 2 of my top 3 fave books are nonfiction. Huh.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite books, favorites, recent reads