Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-05-2021, 01:33 AM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I haven't actually started yet and plan to do so next week. I too have a couple of other "must reads" lined up to deal with before the 15th!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #17
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Can anybody recommend a particular edition of the book to use? i downloaded the free one from amazon yesterday and plan to start when i finish my current read.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Can anybody recommend a particular edition of the book to use? i downloaded the free one from amazon yesterday and plan to start when i finish my current read.
I'm using the Standard Ebooks one:

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/ge...daniel-deronda

It seems to be pretty good in terms of lack of typos. I haven't noticed the formatting, which is probably the right result.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

It seems to be pretty good in terms of lack of typos. I haven't noticed the formatting, which is probably the right result.
That's the edition I'm using too - no typos yet and easy on the eyes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I'm alternating between the text in the evening and the audiobook when I have the space for it in the day. I am also using the Standard Ebooks one.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm alternating between the text in the evening and the audiobook when I have the space for it in the day. I am also using the Standard Ebooks one.
To whom are you listening? I see Hoopla has Nadia May and Juliet Stevenson, both of whom I like, and it turns out I own a narration by Philippe Duquenoy, whom I’ve never heard. I figure I have to give him a try, if only because he reads slightly faster than May and significantly faster than Stevenson. While I expect mostly to read this, I may end up listening to one of the women at first and then switching to the man.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I sampled both. My library also has Jill Tanner. I like Juliet Stevenson, but she sounds rather slow on this one. I think you’ll be happier with Nadia May, and it’s 6 hours shorter.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:46 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm listening to the Nadia May version, and don't find it particularly slow. And I'm usually fairly sensitive to that, though even more sensitive to an overly fast one. That will put me right off.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #24
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
To whom are you listening? I see Hoopla has Nadia May and Juliet Stevenson, both of whom I like, and it turns out I own a narration by Philippe Duquenoy, whom I’ve never heard. I figure I have to give him a try, if only because he reads slightly faster than May and significantly faster than Stevenson. While I expect mostly to read this, I may end up listening to one of the women at first and then switching to the man.
My hoopla had Jill Tanner, who I enjoy. Though I do bump her to 1.25 speed with NO noticeable difference.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I of course like Nadia May but I also really enjoyed the narration of the book I listened to with Stevenson. If I go with audio I’ll be very tempted to choose Stevenson if there’s no other narrator that catches my eye. I haven’t decided yet whether I want to try the audio which will definitely get me through it faster, or the ebook which I might prefer for a classic discussion read but will be a little more of a challenge time-wise.

ETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I sampled both. My library also has Jill Tanner. I like Juliet Stevenson, but she sounds rather slow on this one. I think you’ll be happier with Nadia May, and it’s 6 hours shorter.

I didn’t read your post until after I posted the above... I do like Stevenson and don’t mind a slow narrator but a six hour difference? Oh my!

Last edited by sun surfer; 05-06-2021 at 10:03 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #26
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I didn’t read your post until after I posted the above... I do like Stevenson and don’t mind a slow narrator but a six hour difference? Oh my!
I've listened to Tanner before, and I don't ever remember her being this slow. Like I said, it did not do anything odd to the sound when I sped it up a bit. It just got it to the same pace some other readers I know have. I wonder if it was at the production director's guidance that it was this slow.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #27
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Where do you folks find the different (so many) audiobook narrators? I listen to the Standard EBooks version on MoonreaderPro with the Ivona Kendra (US English) or Amy (UK English) apps.

I have to say this is the first book in which I have had to re-listen to so many sections. Not sure why, I'll be reading (listening) and find I myself completely at sea and have to go back a page or two.

Appreciate the links, Poohbear, as I too was intrigued by the chapter epigraphs.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
In the US a single library can provide access to multiple sources of ebooks and audiobooks such as Overdrive and Hoopla. Many people can join other libraries in their state or county for free or a nominal fee so I have more options that way. I also have a Scribd subscription. And, of course, there is Audible too. Those are just a “few” of my sources.

I am having to read the book more slowly than I typically would. It’s got lengthy, descriptive passages and sometimes the phrasing isn’t very natural. I’ve also looked up more words in the dictionary than usual. It could explain why you feel the need to re-listen more than typical for you.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I get most of my audio books from Audible. And with pretty much any public domain book, there are often many choices for narrators.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
One of the advantages of Hoopla is that books are always available, and subject to borrowing limitations from your subscribing library, can be renewed at will. The Hoopla library is also consistent everywhere. The app is pretty basic, but it’s adequate at least for my purposes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote