Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Please continue posting current deals in Tablets, eReaders, Media Players until 01 Nov 2018, then start posting them in this thread.

thanks, tm

Alright, we're open for general chit chat.

Remember, the purpose of this thread is to drain your bank account. You've been warned

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-14-2019 at 10:18 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks, tm!

I don't need anything. No, I don't.

That said, I'm deal-curious about the Kobo Libra. It seems unlikely to me given how new it is, but just in case.... In addition to Walmart, I'd also take a look at a deal at Chapters/Indigo, which isn't on your radar (nor should it be), but someone may run across one.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, tm!

I don't need anything. No, I don't.

That said, I'm deal-curious about the Kobo Libra. It seems unlikely to me given how new it is, but just in case.... In addition to Walmart, I'd also take a look at a deal at Chapters/Indigo, which isn't on your radar (nor should it be), but someone may run across one.
YW

Ha, so you say. Remember, credit cards are easy prey in this thread

I'll add Chapters/Indigo.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YW

Ha, so you say. Remember, credit cards are easy prey in this thread

I'll add Chapters/Indigo.
I really wasn't suggesting you should go beyond our own sunny shores. But they can be the best source for things Kobo even from here and I figure Canadians are looking for deals and will share.

I'm pretty resistant. I hope. Last year, I only got a Fire HD 8 and one of those cheap no-contract phones (I generally can't resist, but I think I'm even topped up with those.) Oh, and the Facebook deal on the Dot 3. But that was it. Really.

Well, I do have a non-functioning Echo 1 gathering dust and I might consider trading it in on another Dot, for the sale price - discount - trade-in value, if they'd take it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I really wasn't suggesting you should go beyond our own sunny shores. But they can be the best source for things Kobo even from here and I figure Canadians are looking for deals and will share.

I'm pretty resistant. I hope. Last year, I only got a Fire HD 8 and one of those cheap no-contract phones (I generally can't resist, but I think I'm even topped up with those.) Oh, and the Facebook deal on the Dot 3. But that was it. Really.

Well, I do have a non-functioning Echo 1 gathering dust and I might consider trading it in on another Dot, for the sale price - discount - trade-in value, if they'd take it.
No problem, I added it anyway. Your reasoning makes sense.

I added your possible requests to the wish list.
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

This year, I'm looking to upgrade my tablet and no-contract phone. Though my current devices are still functioning quite well, they only have single-band WiFi and I'm having difficulty getting a reliable 2.4GHz signal (it's a long battle with my carrier and multiple router swaps). On top of that, the OS's are quite old (Android 4 & 5) and some of the apps I want are now requiring Android 5 or 6 and up. The latest version of Android is now at 10.

Anyway, time to upgrade. So I'm looking cheap.

For the tablet, I'm primarily interested in a Fire Tab 7 (2019). I anticipate the price to be around $25~30. All I need the tablet to do is play games and watch videos. I might possibly consider a Fire HD 8 (2018) if the price is right after a trade-in.

For the no-contract phone, I'm looking for dual-band WiFi, 16~32GB on-board storage, mSD slot, and running Android 8.

For gifts, I'm looking for several Echo Show 5s, a Chromebook, small BT speaker, and several 128GB mSD cards.

I may add more items later if my wants suddenly become needs
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #22
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
My mother is happy with her android (Go) phone purchased last year. I will be on the lookout for a new one for my dad (he is so rough on phones).

I know last year that pre-paid/no-contract phones were slim pickings, but I will keep an eye out regardless. (needs to be AT&T compatible for him).

My $10 Verizon phone from a few years back still works well as my MP3 payer, but if there's another no-contract phone this year I will consider getting another.

I just bought a second tablet last year, but am primarily still reading on my Nexus 7 2nd generation. but if there's a nice tablet deal I would remiss not to consider it right?

Actually I would love to get my mom a 10" tablet. So, that should definitely be on my wishlist.

Other than that, just the usual USB flash drives. I might get another external hard drive, but that's not really a need or even a wish. But there might be a really good deal...
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

store Black Friday --> ad scan
  • Online -- Th 28 Nov @ 12am ET
  • Store --- Fri 29 Nov @ 8am local
  • Note ---- sales start at 12am ET and end at 11:59pm ET (unless otherwise specified)

store 2019 Black Friday Ad Posted!
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    We just posted the 32-page store 2019 Black Friday Ad Scan!

text

more...
Discount Programs -- save additional money by using these offers

Tablets
  • SALE -- ad scan --
  • SALE -- ad scan --
eReaders
  • SALE -- ad scan --
  • SALE -- ad scan --
Media Players
  • SALE -- ad scan --
  • SALE -- ad scan --
Smartphones
  • brand --
  • brand --
Computers
  • brand --
  • brand --
Digital Storage
  • mSD Flash Card --
  • USB Flash Drive --
  • Ext Hard Drives --
  • Int Hard Drives --
Accessories
  • BT Spkrs ---
  • Gift Cards --
  • Pwr Bank --

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-14-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Monkey, I am in the market this year for a very inexpensive smartphone which is either unlocked or AT&T-compatible.

I will use it with a TracFone sim card, so I guess that means I need it to be no-contract as well, doesn't it?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Monkey, I am in the market this year for a very inexpensive smartphone which is either unlocked or AT&T-compatible.

I will use it with a TracFone sim card, so I guess that means I need it to be no-contract as well, doesn't it?
I don't know that much about using smartphones with different carriers, but don't you need an AT&T sim card to access the AT&T network?

As to your question, I'm not sure.

I'm adding you to the list.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #26
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't know that much about using smartphones with different carriers, but don't you need an AT&T sim card to access the AT&T network?

As to your question, I'm not sure.

I'm adding you to the list.
Thanks!

All the world knows more about smartphones than I do, but I gather that one is either AT&T-compatible or Verizon-compatible.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I am always looking for a really small no-contract Android phone with a decent screen and decent microSD storage size to replace my much-beloved-but-now-finally-kicked-the-bucket Galaxy Players. I had a couple of the small ones and one of the bigger ones (which still weren't that big) and used them non-stop as mp3 players and occasionally as e-readers or mini-tablets in a pinch.

It seems that pretty much all of the phones are just getting bigger, and I'm wishing for something less than a 5-inch screen, even better 4.5-inch or less, so it can fit in just about anything I want to carry it in.

There are a few 2.4-inch phones out there, but that's too small even for me, and they tend to be much older Android. I don't have to have the absolutely latest Android, but reasonably current.

Anyway, if anyone spots anything in the way of a nice small Android no-contract phone on sale, I'd be quite happy!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I am always looking for a really small no-contract Android phone with a decent screen and decent microSD storage size to replace my much-beloved-but-now-finally-kicked-the-bucket Galaxy Players. I had a couple of the small ones and one of the bigger ones (which still weren't that big) and used them non-stop as mp3 players and occasionally as e-readers or mini-tablets in a pinch.

It seems that pretty much all of the phones are just getting bigger, and I'm wishing for something less than a 5-inch screen, even better 4.5-inch or less, so it can fit in just about anything I want to carry it in.

There are a few 2.4-inch phones out there, but that's too small even for me, and they tend to be much older Android. I don't have to have the absolutely latest Android, but reasonably current.

Anyway, if anyone spots anything in the way of a nice small Android no-contract phone on sale, I'd be quite happy!
Well, it looks like you and I are in search of the same phone.

Wish us luck
Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #29
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Visible.com R2 Android phone $19, 128GB TF card $12.49

tl;dr No need to wait for Black Friday deals! This is a nice deal on a new Android Oreo smartphone with a 5.45" display and USB-C charging.

Link here NO OBLIGATION for no-contract cell service... read more >>
I got this phone made by ZTE and it's lovely. You'll need to create an account on Visible.com and "order" a month's service with the phone @ $40 which includes unlimited calls, text and data on Verizon's network. While this seems a very nicely priced service bundle, you don't have to go through with it. If you don't activate the phone and just use it on Wifi, you never get charged the $40 or any future fees. So it nets out at $19 plus tax, with free shipping.

I can confirm that this is a real deal. JUST BE SURE THAT YOU ORDER THE PHONE @ $19 "ADD TO BAG" AND NOT A PHONE SWAP which requires you to send in your old phone with no charge for the new one. If you DO want to sign up for the Visible/Verizon service, it is presently offered UNCAPPED and UNTHROTTLED and grandfathered "for a limited period for anyone signing up now", implying that it *MAY* be capped at some future date for future customers. Lots of discussion about this on Reddit, and Visible also has a Facebook page which apparently is monitored actively by Visible employees who are very responsive to customer questions and problems.

Disclosure: Although the above makes me sound like a shill for Visible, I am neither on their payroll nor on their service! I'm on unlimited calls and text for zero dollars, only monthly fees at around $2.50 on Xfinity Mobile as I have internet service with Comcast. I don't use any data, which is priced at $12/GB. Bought a Moto E5 Play for $119 for that service; although XM is also on Verizon's network, my unlocked "any carrier" Moto G6 and G4 were not supported. Neither are they supported on Visible for "bring your own phone". But since I have my "real" phone number on Google Voice, I use the GV app on any phone/tablet/computer to make and receive calls/texts and I'm good to go. So yes, I have 3 phones that I use anywhere that has Wifi, which is most places.

I always accessorize my phones! For this one, I added a 128GB MicroSD card from Newegg for $12.49 and loaded up all my music and audiobooks. Cute case for $2.98 and ring holder/stand 4 pack for $3.49 on eBay.

Specs for phone
Spoiler:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 / 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
2 GB of RAM
5MP front camera with screen flash for perfect selfies
16GB of built-in storage, expandable to 256GB using a micro-SD card (not included)
13MP rear camera with HDR, panorama, collage and timelapse flash
LCD IPS 5.45” display fits nicely in the palm of your hand
12 month warranty guarantee
Smart power management to extend 3200mAh battery life
USB-C 2.0 charger
Hearing Aid Compatibility - M4/T4
Includes free mobile hotspot connection with Visible service
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
For those looking for more information on prepaid phones and plans, I suggest looking at https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/ or https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...VNO-Discussion

Be warned there are a fair number of idiots on Howard Forums but there are also some knowledgeable people, and if there's a prepaid phone company out there, somebody on that forum is sure to have tried it!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote