Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Got mine!

Finally got my reader last night. I had planned on getting it at the local Borders, but they sold their last one two days ago. I ended up driving 20 minutes to the Sony Style store where they were supposed to be having a sale. The sale was over but I picked it up for $299, plus the insurance plan.

I just picked out my 100 titles from the store and although I couldn't redeem the HOLIDAYGIFT coupon, I emailed them to see if there was a way around it.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped in my decision making. Now I need to look through the tips thread and start playing...and reading!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Glad you got it. I really lucked out getting mine last week. I went into the Sony Store here in Northern VA and damn if they didn't have their window display 505's for sale at 40% off. I grabed one real quick and just love it.

be sure and let us know how you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah Congrats.. I should have mine tommorrow barring unforseen weather problems.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Enjoy!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Yeah Congrats.. I should have mine tommorrow barring unforseen weather problems.
Good luck!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well only two days in and I absolutely love it. I need to get a better light for night reading because I am used to my Axim x50 at night but other than that it's great. I'm using libprs500 to manage everything and so far I've started with an initial list of about 90 titles that I am interested in reading (or re-reading).

One time, I almost mistook the think for an actual paper book and my hand went to the top corner to turn the page.

It's a great technology, this e-ink!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Well only two days in and I absolutely love it. I need to get a better light for night reading because I am used to my Axim x50 at night but other than that it's great. I'm using libprs500 to manage everything and so far I've started with an initial list of about 90 titles that I am interested in reading (or re-reading).

One time, I almost mistook the think for an actual paper book and my hand went to the top corner to turn the page.

It's a great technology, this e-ink!
Let me know what you wind up getting for a Light cause I'll need one eventually. Mine arrives today
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scarpad & jplumey

Have a look here
Old 01-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Scarpad
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Scarpad & jplumey

Have a look here
Yeah I've read that and was more confused

So many choices
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru

Yeah, information overload. I'm just going to Borders to see what they have in stock. I'll make due for now.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert

OK, then I am going to narrow down the choice for you to...
Bug light (for musicians) and Verilux.

Read about them in aforementioned thread and learn about their advantages over LED lamps.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
Scarpad
Addict

Well I'm on the 2nd day with mine and I really love this device, I really enjoy this for reading. The "Flash" has pretty much gone away I don't notice it anymore. It's just so bright and clear and so much better than reading off the Axim I had. I can see my reading out put increasing because of it. The Size of the screen to me is just perfect I would'nt want anylarger, it really does feel like you are reading a Paperback, you forget you are reading on a device, which I guess is the biggest compliment you can give it.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
You may also want to take a look at this thread. The Tensor Full Spectrum is another very nice option. I love mine.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Scarpad & jplumey

Have a look here
I got the Great Point 3-LED light (third one down in the link). Has good coverage, and is *much* thinner/smaller than the other options in the booklight thread, very easy to carry along (unlike most other book lights I considered). Portability matters to me, as I tend to keep my light with me "just in case" when traveling. At home I can just use a nightlamp in bed. I also got a bunch of batteries very cheap on eBay. (They're the flat button batteries, large, about the size of a quarter only thicker.) Still on my first set, but have only used it a few times. The trick is to clip it onto the *side* of the Reader, not at the top, for more uniform coverage. I think they sell them at Borders, under $15.

Last edited by DrMoze; 01-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
astrodad
Guru

THANKS!