Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
farvardin
farvardin began at the beginning.

Device: htc dream, htc desire, cybook odyssey
read epub from a shell

I was just wondering if there was a tool to read ebooks (epub) in the (unix) console.
It's still possible to export to html and read them with links for example, but a tool dedicated to ebooks, with bookmarks and such would be great.
farvardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As much as I love—and rely on—the bash prompt, I really can't see this happening. Someone out there somewhere might spend time developing their own console epub reader... maybe. But even then, I doubt it would be easy to find.

Maybe start with the source for Lynx, if someone wanted to take a stab at it?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
farvardin

there is this now : http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/epubmode.el
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
considering epub is basically some sort of compiled html, this would be a natural choice for lynx or elinks to receive a patch.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
AZdave
Enthusiast
AZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheese

Device: Samsung Stratosphere (coolreader), BeBook Neo,EBookman
You can try this.
Code:
unzip -x -C your.epub
lynx -image_links ./content/
it is somewhat tedious.
AZdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, you could try with this script, and then open with lynx.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Oooh! Nice...
Even if it doesn't seem to work straight out of the box with lynx.
lynx apparently does not respect the 'xml:base="{dir}"' attribute, so that has to be set explicitly in the links in indexAAA.xhtml, I think.
Lynx does not handle <meta .... charset=.../>, I had to remove those lines from the book chapter xhtml files to get it to show anything but pure ascii.
Just a couple of minor modifications in the script should fix those. Maybe have a specific -shellepubreader option?

And of course one has to set up lynx to handle xhtml files in the first place.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
AZdave
Enthusiast
AZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheese

@Jellby: Thanks.

@SBT

Please post your modifications. This is neat.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've posted a patch at the original thread for the script.
Hope it works for you too.

Last edited by SBT; 12-09-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
AZdave
Enthusiast

SBT:

Thanks. Just to be clear for others. I had to
Code:
patch epub-read.sh epub-read_lynxviewer.patch
epub-read.sh -v Oz_Omnibus.epub
The -v switch uses lynx
I also turned images on in the lynx.conf file by adding the following.
Code:
     XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND:xv %s &
     MAKE_LINKS_FOR_ALL_IMAGES:TRUE
Thanks

Last edited by AZdave; 12-09-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
SBT
Fanatic

epub to speech?

Having got this far, a thought struck me... lynx has been popular among the visually impaired because it has been simple to integrate with text-to-speech tools. While we're at it, maybe add an option to pipe output from lynx to the festival TTS?
BTW, anybody know about epub-to-speech converters? Or user interface guidelines for the blind?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
AZdave
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Having got this far, a thought struck me... lynx has been popular among the visually impaired because it has been simple to integrate with text-to-speech tools. While we're at it, maybe add an option to pipe output from lynx to the festival TTS?
BTW, anybody know about epub-to-speech converters? Or user interface guidelines for the blind?
Luckily my linux box at work has festival on it. It is pretty easy.

Code:
     PRINTER:TTS:festival --tts %s:80
     DOWNLOADER:TTS:festival --tts %s
The speech is low to medium quality.
p and select TTS . the number 80 is optional but it read the whole file.

The DOWNLOADER reads the html tags to you so it is not needed.

or
Code:
lynx -cfg=lynx.config indexAAA.html | festival --tts
But then I'm lost trying to select the links.

Last edited by AZdave; 12-15-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
farvardin

thank you for all those tips!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
SBT
Fanatic

@AZDave: That's neat... I thought about something along the lines of your second solution, but defining the TTS as a printer is much more elegant.
I wonder if it is possible to implement a pause/play functionality? I can't think of a particularly good solution, sending STOP/CONT signals to festival seems the only feasible option, and I'm not sure how to do that in a sensible manner through lynx.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maybe through system-wide hotkeys?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote