Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #136
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ics1974 View Post
Use the dictionary feature within the dictionary. You’re reading a book and touch a word to use the dictionary. The dictionary defines it using a word you do not understand. You should be able to touch that word from within the dictionary to open up it's definition.
This would be fabulous!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #137
dpayette
dpayette began at the beginning.

Device: Touch
I have had my KT for a couple of weeks. I do like most of the features so far, and look forward to see what the developers can get squeezed in later on.

Someone requested earlier, and I would like also, to be able to have directories. I use the KT as a reference library, It would be nice to have different directories for each subject.

As a far reach request, it would be nice to have a simple notepad and calendar.

Thanks for any considerations.

dp
dpayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #138
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
password access to the device.
Either minimal, just so that people can't see the contents immediately.
Or encrypted hard drive (optional) to make it permanently secure.

That would give it more corporate appeal (as would wpa enterprise official support).
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #139
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
Landscape mode for epubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes +1 on this please.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #140
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpayette View Post

Someone requested earlier, and I would like also, to be able to have directories. I use the KT as a reference library, It would be nice to have different directories for each subject.

Yes, this would be really nice, I use my Kobo for leisure reading (fantasy, Scifi books) and other stuff like that.

But also for reading some manuals at work that's I've converted from PDFs.
A Directory structure explorable from within the Kobo app itself that I could dedicate to Work stuff and leisure (and whatever) would be really nice.

And for this to support sub-directories would be nice too.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 07-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #141
danskmacabre
Guru

May have been posted already, but I miss a search function to search for text within a book that supports Epub.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #142
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
First of all, I want to say that I'm really enjoying the 1.9.6 fw.

I have seen some interesting suggestions in this thread, but quite a few of them ask for features that go beyond what a simple eReader should provide. I would caution the developers to keep it simple - Just make it the best eReader they possibly can!

So, with that out of the way, here are some areas I see that could be improved:

1. Sometimes my KT stutters on page turns. I will tap the screen and nothing will happen, no matter how long I wait, until I tap it again. It then turns the page twice so that I have to flip back to continue where I left off. 1.9.6 seems to do this less often, and I cannot confirm that this happens in the kepubs, I've mostly been reading my sideloaded books.

2. Support for multi-level TOC's would be nice, although the only time I've noticed the lack was when I tried to load Bibles on the KT (Including the HCSB version you can get free from Kobo). Scrolling through page after page of numbers is cumbersome.

3. Listing books by title, author, and 'recent reads' is a good start. Could we get a few more options like genre, length, etc.?

4. Options for first line indent.

There's more, but I think most of it's been covered before. BTW, I kinda like the current sleep and power off screens (except for the ghosting in the latter) but since people seem determined to change them, how about an option to sleep with the text from the last page left up? The space for the menu bar could be used to notify that the device is in 'sleep' mode. This way you can easily leave it on a page with a recipe while cooking or something.

Oh yeah, text search would also be nice. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #143
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post

1. Sometimes my KT stutters on page turns. I will tap the screen and nothing will happen, no matter how long I wait, until I tap it again. It then turns the page twice so that I have to flip back to continue where I left off. 1.9.6 seems to do this less often, and I cannot confirm that this happens in the kepubs, I've mostly been reading my sideloaded books.

This sometimes happens to me too. not very often though, but irritating when it DOES happen.
It feels like it has recognised the tap, but is busy doing something in the background and a second tap brings it back, but it has the first tap in a buffer or something.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #144
Ambrish
Ambrish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kobo Touch
First of all, The 1.9.6 update was AWESOME: dictionary for side-loaded content was a feature I badly wanted, and it's sweet to finally have it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ics1974 View Post
Use the dictionary feature within the dictionary. You’re reading a book and touch a word to use the dictionary. The dictionary defines it using a word you do not understand. You should be able to touch that word from within the dictionary to open up it's definition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
a possibility to make multiple bookmarks.
I'm reading a book which my son is also reading.
It makes a bookmark at the position the last time the book is read.
Would be nice if we could save different bookmarks.
+1 to both of these, and additionally

1. Having a way to display the time quickly would be cool, e.g when centre tapping a page, the time could appear in the title bar, where the battery status, and title of the book appear.
2. Being able to take notes, together with highlighting in any books(I know this one is in the works, just saying )
3. Having dictionaries in different languages, or the possibility to choose dictionaries, even if additional dictionaries have to be bought separately.
Ambrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #145
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For those asking for the Dictionary-within-a-Dictionary support, in the mean time I would suggest using the free-form dictionary.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #146
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Borrowed this idea from the Beta Group:

Quote:
Per book font/styling choices. Global is good, but the option to define the fonts/spacing for a given epub would be nifty.
This is really practical because there are a few books that I have to specifically adjust for. Switching back to my general settings when needed takes additional time as well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #147
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
The two big things that I would love are:
-the ability to flip the taps so that I can hold the Kobo Touch with my left hand instead of needing to tap on the right side.
-airplane mode - if it's in airplane mode and I hit sync or the store, a window pops up to let me switch to wifi mode. But to go back to airplane mode you have to go back into the settings. A fast way to switch back would be nice.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #148
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
-the ability to flip the taps so that I can hold the Kobo Touch with my left hand instead of needing to tap on the right side.
I'd love this as well.
An idea maybe (similar to a suggestion further above) is to be able to tap the centre and have a button on the pop up function bar to swap the tap sides.

The book specific font settings I +1 as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #149
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
You can hold it in your left hand and 'swipe' rather than tap the left hand side of the page (right to left for forward advance and the reverse for backward). I'm not sure if this is a documented feature or not... I discovered it by accident and it works well by simply swiping my left thumb accross the page. Hope this helps!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #150
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Wanted: Ability to sort books into categories.

The one thing that is very important to me, and I imagine other users from what I've seen here is the ability to group my books into categories (non-fiction, fiction, fantasy, suspense etc) on the device.

Preferably these would be custom categories that could be created like on the Kindle where you just click "add to category" and an option comes up for you to name a new category. Since the Kobo Touch already has a "Favourites" organizing method I'm hoping it wouldn't be too farfetched to add the ability to create further groups.

Especially for people who would like to browse through their larger collections (rather then search for a specific title or author) this would be an excellent feature to have. If you're reading this Kobo, please keep up the firmware updates and make this good ereader an excellent one!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote