Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Difficulty getting usb networking wifi access to my jailbroken PW4

PW4 jailbroken with 5.10.3 firmware.

If I open usb network I see "USBNetwork: enabled (usbnet, sshd down)"

I can't seem to connect:
[I] ~  ssh -v kindle
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.2, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/david/.ssh/config
debug1: /home/david/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for *
debug1: /home/david/.ssh/config line 63: Applying options for kindle
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.106 [192.168.1.106] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 192.168.1.106 port 22: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.106 port 22: Connection refused

Then when I try to change options under the USBNetwork I see "NW must be in usbms mode to safely do this".

Not sure how I can do this?

It was working fine at one point, I suppose no longer (perhaps it was after the 5.10.3 update)
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
arooni
Addict

I also tried reinstalling the usb network by putting

Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3_koa2_pw4.bin

in the root folder of my kindle but kindle hates it and greys out the update your kindle menu entry. And apparently deletes the file without letting me update

UPDATE: Nevermind, updated with MRPI package installer. I keep forgetting what needs to be done with MRPI and what needs to be updated via the kindle update menu.

Last edited by arooni; 02-27-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Advert
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
arooni
Addict

OK Update, I got it all working after reinstalling the usbnetwork. But is it explained somewhere where

what the difference between "Block SSH over WIFI) and "Restrict SSH to WIFI, stay in USBMS" is?

And if authentication is key only, is there any security risk to leaving the usbnetwork enabled at boot, and the option "enable SSH over Wifi"?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
arooni
Addict

Finally, I have usb networking setup to work on boot and enabled connection via wifi; yet

[I] ~/.task  ssh -v kindle
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.2, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
debug1: Reading configuration data /home/david/.ssh/config
debug1: /home/david/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for *
debug1: /home/david/.ssh/config line 63: Applying options for kindle
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.1.106 [192.168.1.106] port 22.

USbnetworking status shows: USBNetwork: enabled (usbnet, sshd up)
Version: 0.22.N r15706 jan 3rd

It seems like it won't work unless I manually toggle the usbnetworking button. What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
arooni
Addict

Well I think I found the group of settings that enables at boot, but it was just by accident.

What's fun and interesting is I can apparently ssh into the device even when it looks like its turned off. This'll make moving books there easier!

maybe it only works for a set number of minutes after the device has been turned 'off'
Advert
Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Well I think I found the group of settings that enables at boot, but it was just by accident.

What's fun and interesting is I can apparently ssh into the device even when it looks like its turned off. This'll make moving books there easier!

maybe it only works for a set number of minutes after the device has been turned 'off'
Running ssh over usb causes the kernel to set an internal "prevent sleep" lock.
There hasn't been a time limit in the past.
The Kindle continues to be powered by the USB cable rather than its internal battery (well, actually the USB cable keeps the battery charged).
When working on a Kindle, I use that set-up and have run it for weeks at a time without problems.

Note: If your PC is running Linux (any flavor), you may have to beat "connection manager" with a big stick to stop it from "helping you".
In such a case, if you have trouble with unexpected disconnects, it is the "connection manager" with a problem, not the Kindle setup.

Note: The "sleep mode" and the "start screen saver mode" are only very loosely related in the system. The system will use the normal time-out to display the "screen saver" but because of the kernel lock described above, never actually go to sleep.
(Provided you keep connection manager from screwing with you.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
arooni
Addict

I know there was some mention somewhere of not running USB mass storage while running koreader, but I think there'd be no issue with scp'ing in some new books while koreader is running correct?

For those of you who do that, do you manually type out the path each time? Or do you set a var /alias like

$KP = '/mnt/us/ebooks/'

?

and what if you have a bunch of directories to organize the books but you forget what they look like? i find myself ssh'ing in frist grabbing a path and then doing the scp. trying to optimize it a little
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I know there was some mention somewhere of not running USB mass storage while running koreader, but I think there'd be no issue with scp'ing in some new books while koreader is running correct?

For those of you who do that, do you manually type out the path each time? Or do you set a var /alias like

$KP = '/mnt/us/ebooks/'

?

and what if you have a bunch of directories to organize the books but you forget what they look like? i find myself ssh'ing in frist grabbing a path and then doing the scp. trying to optimize it a little
I don't do it often enough to make an alias

ssh, like rsh before it, is designed to execute a command on a remote host. If you leave the command off you get a shell session on the host. So

ssh root@kindle ls /mnt/us/documents

Then

scp book.azw3 root@kindle:/mnt/us/documents/directory
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
The Kindle's USB mass storage IS NOT a shared file system.
It can either be accessed internally by programs running on the Kindle (say, KOReader) or it can be accessed externally over the USB cable.
It is different kernel drivers that have to be loaded, where only one of the two can be loaded at a time.

So regardless of how you access it, the USB storage area can either be exported or not exported, but not both at the same time.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Nonetheless, once USB networking is set up and working well, it is no longer necessary to ever export /mnt/us over USB mass storage. This is a personal preference, but on the KOA2, which holds its breath and turns blue every time USB mode is switched, it saves a lot of grief.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
USBMS is inhibited while koreader is running, to avoid shooting oneself in the foot.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote