Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
hurricane51
hurricane51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Column for Author_Sort?

I think I've plowed through most of the posts on sorting, but that's not my problem. What I would like is a column to display the authors in author_sort order. I don't want to change the way Calibre sorts, just a new view/column.

Am I missing something? Is this already available>
hurricane51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
In the preferences, go to add columns, then add a new user-defined template column. Use the template '{author_sort}' (with no quotes, obviously).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane51 View Post
What I would like is a column to display the authors in author_sort order. I don't want to change the way Calibre sorts, just a new view/column.
The author column displays the authors in author_sort order. If you actually desire to see author_sort info then follow Manichean's advice.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
hurricane51
hurricane51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted!
hurricane51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane51 View Post
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted!
Are you sure that's exactly what you wanted?

You sound like you might be one of those people who prefer having the author set to last name first. You currently have the author set to first name first, not last name first.

You will know if you are someone who wants authors to be last name first if you are currently making the author column disappear and are using your new column that shows author_sort.

If you actually want last name first for your authors, then what you should be doing is changing the author field, not making a column to show author_sort.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2024, 06:24 PM   #6
kissmykitty
kissmykitty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
In the preferences, go to add columns, then add a new user-defined template column. Use the template '{author_sort}' (with no quotes, obviously).

I registered an account for the sole purpose of quoting you and thanking you. Thank you so much! I've been dying to re-organize my Calibre library so that authors are displayed/sorted by lastname, firstname. This is exactly what I needed. TY!
kissmykitty is offline   Reply With Quote