Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Simon, you are a star doing this. It's is a great idea, I've uploaded my book but I had to use my meat-ground .mobi file from Smashwords because my computer is having some kind of cyber hissy fit. I'm hoping the formatting will be great but I have no way of looking at a .mobi file so if you give me the bum's rush I'll undertand!

I am now working my way through your reviewers page...

Cheers

MTM
I still get a twitch when I see that Smashwords meatgrinder thing... actually Mark's instructions are great. You have a PC right? I know that because I can see this message. You download Calibre and/or Kindle for PC for free and look at your mobi file in there.

If you do get a review it would be great if you could post a comment thanking them. Here or on my site. I'll take a look at the books today - not enough coffee yet...

And thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Thanks for listing my book, Simon. You are providing a very valuable service and I wish you all the very best.

Sharon
Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #33
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
I still get a twitch when I see that Smashwords meatgrinder thing... actually Mark's instructions are great. You have a PC right? I know that because I can see this message. You download Calibre and/or Kindle for PC for free and look at your mobi file in there.

If you do get a review it would be great if you could post a comment thanking them. Here or on my site. I'll take a look at the books today - not enough coffee yet...

And thanks for the kind words.
You're right, the meatgrinder instructions are excellent and I will have a go at Calibre or Kindle and see what I can do. As for thanking reviewers, bless you, I will certainly thank anyone who takes it on!

Cheers

MTM
Old 11-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #34
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks MT - Over 25 quality indie books listed now. Check them out and if you're an author with a quality Indie book join the list.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #35
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Thanks for including my novel The Losing Role, Simon. All the indie novels are here:

http://www.simon-royle.com/indie-books-authors/

Last edited by Steve Anderson; 11-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #36
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
Thanks MT - Over 25 quality indie books listed now. Check them out and if you're an author with a quality Indie book join the list.
Simon, just curious...do you actually review each of the books on this list before adding them?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #37
Monique
Monique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Hi Mish!

I think Simon just reviews the manuscript and cover for obvious errors, but doesn't read the entire book or review.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #38
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
Simon, just curious...do you actually review each of the books on this list before adding them?
Hi Mish,

Short answer, No. As Monique wrote, I do a quick check of the cover and the formatting. Then a slower check for obvious typos. If it passes those checks it goes up.

To date, using this system, I've made one error, which was quickly spotted by a member on this board (thanks Ficbot ). I alerted the author to the problems, and pulled the book. The author in question found the cause of the problems, fixed the errors and after another (more careful check) I reposted the book. A win for all concerned.

The longer answer is that I read some of the books and if I like them post a review (I think I'm crap at reviewing, especially compared to Ficbot, GraceKrispy and some of the reviewers on the Reviewers list I have on the site).

For the Indieviews section I read ALL the books of the authors I interview, this is so I can comment, honestly on the book when I do the interview. This is not a curl up on the sofa with a hot cup of cocoa read though; it's a speed read. Cram it in.

And then ... some of the books are right up my street and I read them for enjoyment (get away from the MS for a while). So far those books have been great, and have included:
- Heirs of Mars
- Sometimes That Happens With Chicken
- Snapdragon Alley (read it to my son and he loved it)
- The Summoning Fire
- The Losing Role (half way in)
- Remix (which jumped the queue and isn't even on the list yet; because the author sucked me in and it was good, flowing, quick read with a satisfying conclusion)

The reason I started the Indie Book and Author page was because I was sick of hearing that self-published (or Indie) books had one foot in the slush pile and the other in obscurity.

I am amazed and delighted at the talent I've found. When you couple that with the incredibly hard work that these authors put in; it's a pleasure to be associated with, and help, such people.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Hi Simon.

Here is an author that grabbed my attention.
Moxie Mezcal
At the time I came across his (her?) book I have already set aside perhaps a dozen unfinished books in a row. Some of them were indie authors, some where published authors, a few were my favourite writers. Nothing helped. I couldn't finish a book. I was getting worried.

Then I saw The Concrete Underground ( http://moxiemezcal.com/main/page_ebo...derground.html ) being offered here and you know I can't resist an author offering his/her book for free to Mobileread members. I started to read. Oh boy! The description "punk-as-fuck guerrilla fiction" barely scratches the surface. Soon I was reading at frantic speed, wanting to know how the book will end.

The author describes himself:
Moxie Mezcal is a dangerous malcontent, a delusional megalomaniac, and a foul-mouthed Mexican-American glitterpunk with a penchant for black lipstick and bad wigs, who writes punk-as-fuck guerrilla fiction on MoxieMezcal.com and lives under an assumed name in San Jose, California.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #40
simonroyle
Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

The author describes himself:
Moxie Mezcal is a dangerous malcontent, a delusional megalomaniac, and a foul-mouthed Mexican-American glitterpunk with a penchant for black lipstick and bad wigs, who writes punk-as-fuck guerrilla fiction on MoxieMezcal.com and lives under an assumed name in San Jose, California.
I think he is a she, but not sure

We have very similar tastes - I have read Concrete Underground. Great read. I have sent a few messages to Moxie asking if I can list her book; waiting on reply.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #41
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I loved Moxie Mexcal's work. I've read a short and a longer by that author...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #42
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I loved Moxie Mexcal's work. I've read a short and a longer by that author...
Good news. She got back to me today, and I'll be putting her book up. Think I'll also write a little post about her and what she's doing - with any luck she'll agree to an interview.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
Simon, this is working, I have had a few replies from reviewers willing to review my work. I am stoked!

Also wanted to let you know I posted about the link on KB, hope that drives some traffic your way.

thanks again for doing this!!

Off for a long weekend, back Tues, hope to hear from a couple more reviewers by then.

Sharon
Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #44
simonroyle
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
Simon, this is working, I have had a few replies from reviewers willing to review my work. I am stoked!

Also wanted to let you know I posted about the link on KB, hope that drives some traffic your way.
Sharon
Thanks for posting the link Sharon, and very happy to hear that you've got some success through the page - that is great news. Hope the reviews are positive and that it converts into sales of your book.
Closed Thread