Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
My ideal reader

I'm pretty sure my "ideal" e-reader is not (yet) made by anyone.

Much of my work involves reading and commenting on documents people send me. These are mainly in pdf form. Currently, I print them, kick back in an easy chair, and write in comments by hand. I then scan my marked up documents before sending them back. I think this makes me a pretty good candidate for an e-reader. Here's what it would need to do:
  • Support reading of PDF's at a comfortable text size.
  • Allow me to hand-write annotations like I can do on a piece of paper. The annotations should be saved back into the PDF. I have already tried this with a tablet PC, but found the input resolution unacceptable.
  • Provide a light email client. Almost all of the pdfs I need to read come by email. I'd like to download them, mark them up, and return them by email. This should be wi-fi based.
  • Provide a light web browser; the remaining pdfs I read mainly come from the web.
Does anyone have any comments on annotations in current e-readers? Or thoughts on which reader comes closest to my requirements?

Thanks.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The only currently marketed devices that allow hand written annotations are the iRex devices. They also have the larger screen sizes that are more suitable to A4 layout sizes.

I don't think they actually have email clients.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Netbook computer
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Thanks, guys.

Bob, have you ever used the annotation tools on the iRex reader? To be honest, the reviews I've seen of that one on this site have frightened me off.

Ervserver, like I wrote, I already have a tablet PC. I don't like reading on it, and I find the annotations too low resolution to be practical.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post
Bob, have you ever used the annotation tools on the iRex reader? To be honest, the reviews I've seen of that one on this site have frightened me off.
No sorry. Your best bet is to spelunk through the iRex sections here. There are several owners of those devices among our membership.

You only other option is to wait. There will probably be several 9.7inch devices on the market by the holidays. There will be several 6inch devices out soon too that support hand writing, the Onyx Boox is the primary one that comes to mind, but I think one of the Astak promised models is to have this feature too. Then again, they are all 6inch devices so will probably not meet the PDF requierments as well either.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote