Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 03:16 AM   #1
syrianrue
syrianrue began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help choose between Kobo and Kindle, and a good model?

Not looking for the most expensive e-readers with the best and newest features so not really considering Kobo Aura ONE, or Kindle Oasis which are both over $200.

Looking for something middle of the road with best bang for the buck and with an emphasis on reading comfort.

Most Read Format: Epub, Mobi, PDF
Looking for: good dpi, ease and comfort for the eyes
Do not need: waterproof
Habit: Usually download most of what I read online, but once in a while when I can't find something, I would buy from the store, so having a store where I am guranteed to be able to get the book i want is still somewhat important. (amazon?)

Wifi not important to me
Will use Calibre for conversion and transferring of files.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this boil down to either Kindle Paperwhite ($119.99), or the Kobo Aura Edition 2 ($99.99)? Paperwhite seems to have 300 dpi, is there a big difference between 300 dpi and 212 dpi?

Is Paperwhite something that best fit my description?

How's conversion from epub to mobi or azw3? Is it 100% perfect?
I used to have a really old kindle and 1/2 the times the conversion ended up creating weirdly looking documents where the margins, font, spacing are all screwed up. Is this not an issue anymore these days?
syrianrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There are some here who can tell the difference in the dpi - I'm one of them - and then there are some who claim that they can see no difference.

I 'buy into' both worlds: I have a Kindle and a Kobo.

You'll get fanatical responses, while some members here will give you a reasoned, calm response.

If you can, try both to see how responsive the units are for you.

Amazon - in my opinion - has the more responsive online store. Kobo is fine, though.

If you have any problems with Amazon, it's very easy to arrange for a return.

With Kobo - I have read here - SOME members have to be athletically inclined, able to jump through hoops of fire. (Since I'm a toad with a warty asbestos skin, I have no problems.)

I've had no recent problems with either units that I own.

I'm quite pleased with both, although my preference is with Kindle.

And finally, calibre is a friend to everyone.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
Not looking for the most expensive e-readers with the best and newest features so not really considering Kobo Aura ONE, or Kindle Oasis which are both over $200.

Looking for something middle of the road with best bang for the buck and with an emphasis on reading comfort.

Most Read Format: Epub, Mobi, PDF
Looking for: good dpi, ease and comfort for the eyes
Do not need: waterproof
Habit: Usually download most of what I read online, but once in a while when I can't find something, I would buy from the store, so having a store where I am guranteed to be able to get the book i want is still somewhat important. (amazon?)

Wifi not important to me
Will use Calibre for conversion and transferring of files.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this boil down to either Kindle Paperwhite ($119.99), or the Kobo Aura Edition 2 ($99.99)? Paperwhite seems to have 300 dpi, is there a big difference between 300 dpi and 212 dpi?

Is Paperwhite something that best fit my description?

How's conversion from epub to mobi or azw3? Is it 100% perfect?
I used to have a really old kindle and 1/2 the times the conversion ended up creating weirdly looking documents where the margins, font, spacing are all screwed up. Is this not an issue anymore these days?
What format are most of your ebooks in now?
If mobi go with the kindle. If epub go with the kobo. If pdf, go with a tablet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I have a fairly strong preference for the Kindles, partly because their devices have better firmware, in my opinion, but also because the store is so much better.

That said, the Kobos are also good. I've never used their store but I have browsed it a bit and it looks fine. Their firmware is a bit buggy but only a little bit and mostly with respect to side-loaded books.

If I could only have one reader it would be a Kindle. If I could only have a Kobo that would be okay too. I'm glad I'm not stuck with just one reader.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrianrue View Post
You might also want to look the new Nook GlowLight 3 for $119.99. It probably has the nicest screen in this price range. But I think it depends more on where you'll be buying your books. If at Amazon, then the Kindle. If at Kobo or Barnes & Noble, then the Kobo or Nook.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you want to read all formats, consider a cheap tablet with the appropriate apps.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
How creative do you want to get and where do you live?

First: If you read more PDF than anything, buy a tablet. None of the e-ink devices handle PDFs well.

Otherwise, a Kindle Paperwhite is probably the simplest out of the box solution.

I'd avoid the Aura Edition 2. The Glowlight 3 (if you live in the US) is a better piece of hardware for the same-ish price.

The Aura Edition 2 isn't bad. But you can get an Aura Edition 1 on eBay for half the price and it has an SD card slot and a flush screen. I bought mine there and so have a few others here.

If you're willing to look on eBay, you can also get the Glowlight Plus for $60. It's got a much nicer screen than the Aura Edition 2 and it's waterproof (not important to you, but not bad for free).
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The New Kobo Aura H2O is a nice Reader. Go for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
My Reasons For Preference for Kobo Aura One

I now have both the Kindle and the Kobo, but purchased the Kobo recently for the two reasons that it (1) has a larger-sized screen than the Kindle, and (2) I can read both my ePub and Mobi (Kindle) books on it (sometimes processed through Calibre).
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Kobo and Christie Brinkley!

[Bodda-Bing!]

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Kindle has cellular on some of their ereaders

I have a paperwhite and never thought about cellular, connected through my cell phone if I wanted a wi if connection, until my iTunes account got hacked, my visa got hacked - twice and I could go on and on.

Then I got a landline, and then I made sure I gave my credit card ONLY over the landline and when I have to do it online, it is on my computer and only with a secure web page.

I even created an account on Equifax.
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
Kindle has cellular on some of their ereaders

I have a paperwhite and never thought about cellular, connected through my cell phone if I wanted a wi if connection, until my iTunes account got hacked, my visa got hacked - twice and I could go on and on.

Then I got a landline, and then I made sure I gave my credit card ONLY over the landline and when I have to do it online, it is on my computer and only with a secure web page.

I even created an account on Equifax.
Stupid question, how do you pay for gasoline?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Cash?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Syphoning?
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Cash?
I noticed the poster said their Visa had been hacked twice. Putting a credit card in a gas pump is a very good way to get it hacked.
Pay inside, it is safer.