Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Chromebook Workaround

I'm in process of replacing my windows laptop, and for most of my uses, Chromebooks would work perfectly. I have a tablet, thus do the vast majority of my browsing on the tablet. What I use the laptop for is shopping, forums and other heavy typing applications, and most important, downloading audiobooks and transferring them to my sansa clip.

From reading all the Overdrive help files, it looks like this final function, transferring audiobooks to my clip, is available only with a windows operating system.

Is this correct, or am I missing something? And, if this is correct, is there any workaround? I listen to audiobooks all the time, and the small form of the clip is essential for my use.

If a windows machine is absolutely required, I might buy a machine with a detachable tablet. They're a tiny bit higher priced, but that way I'm getting two devices for the price of one.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
According to OverDrive they have a Chromebook app...
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jogdnlnidceemb

This would download the audiobook, so the question someone can hopefully answer is if you can access the downloaded files on the Chromebook so they can be added to the Sansa or if the Chromebook app has a transfer feature like the Windows app. I guess the other question would be if the Chromebook will see the Sansa okay to allow access to it's file system.

Since OverDrive ditched DRM on all audiobooks they are just regular MP3 files so the requirements for transferring to devices aren't the same as they once were with WMA DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In order to transfer Audible and OverDrive audiobooks to a Chrome OS computer, you'll need the desktop apps for each one. Guess what? They don't exist for Chrome OS. They only come in Windows and Mac flavors.

Even though OverDrive has an app for Chromebooks that will allow you to download MP3 audiobooks to the app, it won't allow you to transfer those audiobooks to an MP3 player.

Bottom line -- for complete audiobook compatibility, you'll need a Windows PC.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Even though OverDrive has an app for Chromebooks that will allow you to download MP3 audiobooks to the app, it won't allow you to transfer those audiobooks to an MP3 player.
So it doesn't store the MP3's in a directory somewhere that you could copy them to the device? For Windows the app is needed for downloading, but you don't need it for transferring, you can just drag and drop the downloaded files onto the device. Or can you just not copy things to such a device using Chrome OS or something?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So it doesn't store the MP3's in a directory somewhere that you could copy them to the device? For Windows the app is needed for downloading, but you don't need it for transferring, you can just drag and drop the downloaded files onto the device. Or can you just not copy things to such a device using Chrome OS or something?
I downloaded an OverDrive audiobook on my chromebook, but couldn't find the files in the directory.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of

Thanks TubeMonkey and AnemicOak. You've confirmed what I thought. So, unless I want to listen to an audiobook on a large device, I must maintain a windows pc. I believe that even the Surface doesn't have an Overdrive app with transfer capability. That is so unfortunate because the whole reason I found Overdrive was because I wanted to listen to library audiobooks.

I guess more and more people want to do everything on their phones, even listen to audiobooks. Not me!

I will go on Overdrive's website and send a request, although I'm sure it won't make any difference.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
janjanjan
Enthusiast

I checked out the help files on the Overdrive website. They describe the desktop version of Overdrive as "legacy" and indicate that it works only on Windows machines, including Windows 10, but excluding Windows RT. Thus the fact that the Surface can't transfer audiobooks.

I think that the desktop version is described as "legacy" because it supports only audiobooks. Since the largest number of Overdrive users are reading EBooks, that version isn't very useful anymore, except to those of us who love audiobooks on small devices, so won't be enhanced.

I guess we should just be glad that Overdrive is enhancing the app adequately to keep up with new Windows versions.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Have you considered keeping the Windows machine you are replacing for win-specifc stuff and getting the chromebook in addition?

My wife worked this way for the past few years until she got her new 2-in-1: She left her old windows laptop running upstairs sort of as a server, for DRM books and a few other functions (like running her die cutter machine), and would remote into it from her Chromebook to do stuff or get files when she needed to, but 90% of what she did, the Chromebook was it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, chromebook, mp3 player, overdrive