Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2023, 05:12 AM   #256
Vakke
Enthusiast
Vakke doesn't litterVakke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi @JSWolf

It seems that you have edited the credits of my work out of the first post. Would you mind adding it back and credit where the credit is due?
Vakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:25 AM   #257
sios00
Enthusiast
sios00 began at the beginning.

What is the difference between ChareInk6SP No Weight and ChareInk6 No Weight?
What does the "SP" mean?

For reference I am using Kobo Libra 2. Thank you!
sios00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 05:52 AM   #258
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sios00 View Post
What is the difference between ChareInk6SP No Weight and ChareInk6 No Weight?
What does the "SP" mean?

For reference I am using Kobo Libra 2. Thank you!
The SP means a smaller space. It actually works rather well. Vakke came up with this idea and implemented it. No Weight means you can use the Kobo to adjust the weight as there is no added weight to the fonts
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:30 AM   #259
sios00
Enthusiast
sios00 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The SP means a smaller space. It actually works rather well. Vakke came up with this idea and implemented it. No Weight means you can use the Kobo to adjust the weight as there is no added weight to the fonts
Thank you!
sios00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:01 AM   #260
imanub
imanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th-gen
Which version do you recommend for an 11th-gen Kindle Paperwhite? Thank you!
imanub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 08:29 AM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanub View Post
Which version do you recommend for an 11th-gen Kindle Paperwhite? Thank you!
I recommend the hinted version of ChareInk6SP with no added weight. It can be found in the file ChareInk6SP NoWeight.zip attached in the first post of this thread.

Kindles work best with hinted fonts. Also, because there is no weight, you can add as much as you prefer. And finally, the SP version has a smaller space that works well to reduce gaps.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-06-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #262
imanub
imanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenimanub has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th-gen
Thank you so much for the reply and the font! Have a gorgeous day!
imanub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #263
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanub View Post
Thank you so much for the reply and the font! Have a gorgeous day!
Your welcome. I think you'll enjoy reading with ChareInk6SP.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #264
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Are there any plans for a release based on Charis SIL 6.2? It's been out since February and does have 240+ new glyphs including improved Cyrillic support.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #265
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are there any plans for a release based on Charis SIL 6.2? It's been out since February and does have 240+ new glyphs including improved Cyrillic support.
There are no plans at present. I can do it at some point. It's a matter of copying the kerning tables, copying the metadata, copying the smaller space, adding hinting, and adding weight to some. I won't release a non-hinted version as I don't see a need for it.

How long it takes depends on how much time I have. I can start sometime next week.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:53 AM   #266
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Damn, this is a really good font. I tried so many and was never happy. I just wanted one that looks more like in actual books. This one does imho. Thank you.
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:55 AM   #267
Duke5127
Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Duke5127 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no plans at present. I can do it at some point. It's a matter of copying the kerning tables, copying the metadata, copying the smaller space, adding hinting, and adding weight to some. I won't release a non-hinted version as I don't see a need for it.

How long it takes depends on how much time I have. I can start sometime next week.
@JSWolf I take it that Char(e)Ink hasn't been updated to 6.2 yet? Would there be a way to automate it (like using Python or fontforge through CLI)?
Duke5127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:46 AM   #268
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke5127 View Post
@JSWolf I take it that Char(e)Ink hasn't been updated to 6.2 yet? Would there be a way to automate it (like using Python or fontforge through CLI)?
No way to automate it. I will have to pull out the kerning tables and update the space to make it smaller. I also have to update the metadata to match the current ChareInk fonts. I then have to add hinting. After that's done, I have to make a copy of the font and add weight to it. Then I'll be done. I'll do this sometime this week when I get a chance.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:39 PM   #269
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Content deleted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:15 PM   #270
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll pull out my Surface Pro 2 tomorrow and download 6.2 and see about getting started on the new version.